KC Sports radio - loss is on Mahomes but it took Bills and Bengals to take the Chiefs out of the SB

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was listening to 610 KC this morning to get their take and they absolutely filleted Mahomes for his performance in the last 30:05 of the game. But I found their assessment of why that happened interesting. They said that the 13 seconds from last week is what led to him falling apart vs the Bengals in OT. And that the game they were forced to play by the Bills spilled over into yesterday and they couldn’t recover.

First, because he was able to hero his team to victory in the 13 seconds last week, he felt like he could do it again but situationally it was the wrong decision. He had running lanes and didn’t take them. He could have thrown the ball away and didn’t. He ran around in circles and tried to make the amazing play that never materialized because he thought it was his right after last week.

The narrative they had is the team itself acted like they won the SB last week. They came out after the half thinking it was over, they were blowing out Cincy after beating the better team already last week, and their plans for LA were already in motion. They used up all their juice last week, they were tired and overwhelmed by having to do it again yesterday. Last week took too much out of them. It took the Bills and Bengals to keep them out of the SB.

just found it interesting, not positive or negative 

Honestly this is everything I was thinking yesterday after they lost. Games like the bills/kc take a toll on teams, even the winning ones. The emotional aspect, the crazy media coverage that happened all last week after the game etc. I'll also add that, while I think the bills would've beat the Bengals, I wouldn't be terribly shocked if they looked super stale against them

Edited by Steptide
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This is where some in the Chiefs message board are today on what happened...

"Maybe Brittney and Jackson were being threatened and at halftime Pat had to make a choice..."

I saw that. But with betting now legal think of how much money could be made taking the Bengals down 21 to 3 at the half and making it happen.

Did anyone see Jackson mahomes bank account today? 

Edited by Sharky7337

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This is where some in the Chiefs message board are today on what happened...

"Maybe Brittney and Jackson were being threatened and at halftime Pat had to make a choice..."

This makes me want to crack a beer and go to chiefs planet - but that place is an albatross 

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To me Reid is as much to blame as anyone. He got greedy at the end of the half. You take the FG with that little time left and no timeouts. You head to the locker room up 24-3 and get the ball to start the second half. Everything staying the same  in the second half that FG they kicked at the end of regulation would have been for the win not for overtime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Honestly this is everything I was thinking yesterday after they lost. Games like the bills/kc take a toll on teams, even the winning ones. The emotional aspect, the crazy media coverage that happened all last week after the game etc. I'll also add that, while I think the bills would've beat the Bengals, I wouldn't be terribly shocked if they looked super stale against them

I agree although I think the Bills would have likely suffered the same psychological letdowns, to beat the Bengals would have been very difficult for the Bills. The media coverage on the Chiefs-Bills game was epic with many stating it was one of the greatest playoff football games ever, it is hard to bounce back after that.  The Bills have proven that they can have terribly flat games this past year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know so much about this take.  KC came out fired up and ready to play.  They were an absolute machine until the end of half gaffe by Mahomes/Reid.  I think that sort of took the sails out of their wind.  In the second half they looked almost disinterested or like a team who thought they could turn it on when they needed to at the end.  Goes to show you how quickly a game can change and that once you lose momentum it's hard to lock in and wrestle it back - even for the best of teams.  That's why I've always believed that you should put the pedal to the medal the entire game the way we did against the Pats.  You take a breather and you're inviting in what you saw yesterday from the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was listening to 610 KC this morning to get their take and they absolutely filleted Mahomes for his performance in the last 30:05 of the game. But I found their assessment of why that happened interesting. They said that the 13 seconds from last week is what led to him falling apart vs the Bengals in OT. And that the game they were forced to play by the Bills spilled over into yesterday and they couldn’t recover.

First, because he was able to hero his team to victory in the 13 seconds last week, he felt like he could do it again but situationally it was the wrong decision. He had running lanes and didn’t take them. He could have thrown the ball away and didn’t. He ran around in circles and tried to make the amazing play that never materialized because he thought it was his right after last week.

The narrative they had is the team itself acted like they won the SB last week. They came out after the half thinking it was over, they were blowing out Cincy after beating the better team already last week, and their plans for LA were already in motion. They used up all their juice last week, they were tired and overwhelmed by having to do it again yesterday. Last week took too much out of them. It took the Bills and Bengals to keep them out of the SB.

just found it interesting, not positive or negative 

You could add that no one in national media gave Cincy a chance and also believed the winner or Bills/KC matchup would be Super Bowl champs.  They called that game the true AFC title game.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This makes me want to crack a beer and go to chiefs planet - but that place is an albatross 

I can't find their game thread anymore which was really a thing of beauty.

Wait, found it.

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=342285&page=162

Edited by The Wiz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That last 30:05 of the game was so weird.  I did notice that Mahomes had chances to run, and yet he'd spin around and run backwards instead.  He looked really slow and his arm looked weak.  Contrast that to the Buffalo game when he looked really fast and his arm was strong and deadly.

Clearly the matchups matter.  KC matches up well with Buffalo,  they do not match up well with Cinci.  

This is pretty much what I was saying yesterday. 

Chiefs fans mocked Bills fans claiming that was OUR Super Bowl, but the way they fell apart in the 2nd half + OT showed it was THEIR Super Bowl too.

They played like a shell of themselves after being up 24-3, failed to put points on the board right before half & did nothing from there. Bengals just had to slowly chip away & wait for the Chiefs to shoot themselves in the foot.

36 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

The AFC is going to be so difficult to win going forward. With Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Herbert and Jackson potentially being playoff opponents every year (that's not including the possibility of Rodgers coming to the AFC or Lawrence/Jones becoming good). It could potentially be a Slugfest. You could have an AFC playoff picture that has: Allen, Burrows, Herbert, Jackson, Rodgers, Mahomes and Carr in next year and you are going to have to beat 2 maybe 3 verd good/elite QBs to get into the SB.

Kind of feel like Jackson is falling off the top tier list with the other guys.  Teams have figured out that if you contain his running and make  him throw outside the numbers, he is very controllable.  I feel like the other 4 are significantly better than he is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I don't know so much about this take.  KC came out fired up and ready to play.  They were an absolute machine until the end of half gaffe by Mahomes/Reid.  I think that sort of took the sails out of their wind.  In the second half they looked almost disinterested or like a team who thought they could turn it on when they needed to at the end.  Goes to show you how quickly a game can change and that once you lose momentum it's hard to lock in and wrestle it back - even for the best of teams.  That's why I've always believed that you should put the pedal to the medal the entire game the way we did against the Pats.  You take a breather and you're inviting in what you saw yesterday from the Chiefs.

Complete with Hank Bullough quote! love it :)

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

To me Reid is as much to blame as anyone. He got greedy at the end of the half. You take the FG with that little time left and no timeouts. You head to the locker room up 24-3 and get the ball to start the second half. Everything staying the same  in the second half that FG they kicked at the end of regulation would have been for the win not for overtime.

They had just played this team a few weeks ago and the bengals came back from 14 down 3 separate times. The chiefs only scored 3 points in the 2nd half in that game too. Amazing that they collapsed the way they did in the 2nd half having already just going through that with the same team while staring at the possibility of going to 3 straight SB. The QB clearly wasn’t the same guy in the 2nd half but Andy Reid also had a history of choking with big leads.  I feel like they were too arrogant about who they were after beating the Bills the way they did and looking so good in the 1st half vs cincy. 

Reid got outcoached by Zac effing Taylor. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.