Sean Payton on the end of the Bills-Chiefs game

dave mcbride

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

ScottLaw isn't quite quoting what Leslie said. Leslie said it is really hard to adjust mid game to something you haven't practiced all week. He said you have a plan and you normally have some wrinkles you can go to but throwing out the gameplan and doing something totally different is generally a bad idea. 

I discussed it at the time that he gave the interview with my former NFL position coach buddy who now lives in the UK and his take on it was he agreed with Leslie. He said the future HoF coach that he worked for tried it once at half time in a game and they got run outta the show and their conclusion was "we are never doing that again". It comes down to the fact, for me, that any call is only as good as its execution. If you change to something your guys are not ready to execute you are dead in the water. 

There is a nuance between that and "we don't believe in adjustments". 

Ok well that's a bit different than an adjustment.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it took a WHOLE LOT to go right for Cinci and wrong for KC for that result to happen. 

But the big difference is that Cinci isn't married to one thing on defense..........the Bills ultimately are.

No excuse to have players together for as long as they have had that back 7 and not be able to do what Cinci did in the second half.

I'm sure you'll say it's the CB's but I think the lack of scheme diversity largely begins with Edmunds..........which is crazy because he should be an ultimate wildcard type of player with his size and athleticism..........but he plays the brain of the defense and might be the least instinctive player on the field.

hell, can you imagine those play calls getting relayed to an mlb that truly owned the defense? 

with the timeouts we called this defense 4 times and no one thought to make the case that they were protecting open field and leaving all prime areas to target wide open?

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I wonder if Payton would like an OC job in Buffalo, paid like a HC and promise of the reins when McClappy screws up again?

Payton will never play second fiddle as anyones coordinator, as well he shouldn’t. He’s more than proven himself as a good to great coach in the league. He will have multiple teams after him next year if he decides to come back and those teams figure out compensation with the Saints to sign him. 

5 hours ago, DocLawless said:

Hmm I disagree that the situations are comparable. The Minnesota miracle was more or a player failure than a scheme/coaching failure like we had with frasier and mcd in KC. Saints safety was in position to make the play, and he blew it. 

But had they been deeper it doesn't happen. Both situations require the right call and the right execution and got neither.

• Like (+1) 1

The blunder that stood out to me after listening to Paytons analysis and the mistake was playing "outside technique", coach speak for guarding the sidelines, it appeared McD and Frazier just didn't factor in the Chiefs had timeouts.  It was the correct call if they had no timeouts, but that wasn't the case.   Simple as that.  The D was too deep and too wide.   It was poor situational awareness.  It was exactly the defense you would want to face to get into FG range with timeouts in hand.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

appeciate the insight of a respected insider, ok so the kick-off may or may not have been flawed but a high kick to the 5 or 10 should have been the play over the touchback and no time runoff ?

the D took away the long ball and the sideline but gave the middle seam

further suggestions:

1. 2 or 3 man rush not 4

2. one defensive hold esp on first down should have been ordered to run more time

3 the use of timeouts on D is zero benefit as the O see the D as well as was the case with Kelce telling Mahomes his analysis during the timeout, plus Mahomes yelled for Kecle "Do It Kelce do it !" and the D did not pick up on that ???

And how about jamming the receivers for a change? At least so they're not running at full speed out of their cuts for gods sake. The Chiefs could not have had a more favorable defense if they had planned it themselves. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Frazier was quoted earlier in the year as saying something to the effect of they don’t like to make adjustments in game because it demonstrates to the players a lack of confidence in the original game plan…. Which is down right ridiculous…. If anything the Championship game showed that these guys have to change up something scheme wise on defense and become more willing to adapt. 

If I'm reading between the lines, it comes down to control and ego...which most people have issues with.  I think McD sees his game plan as enough and subject, as evidenced by his post-game reference to execution, only to players playing his scheme.  The opponent isn't going to dictate to him what he does.   

I don't see the HC changing his spots this late into his NFL career.  All NFL HC's are strong personalities, but it's becoming McD's worst feature: a stubborn insistence his defensive planning is correct and adaptation to the opponent isn't necessary.  It'd be interesting to know how the players feel about a confined system that permitted KC to move the ball effortlessly against that scheme.  

You'd think with so much experience on the back 7 that McD and Frazier would trust these guys more...especially Hyde and Poyer. 

Payton is pointing out the obvious, but that's fine. 

McD and Frazier acted like a couple of clueless rookie coaches in the final seconds of that game. It's just awful and cost the Bills and Josh Allen a possible Lombardi trophy.  It's so incredibly difficult to get back to that point, and we were there...and the game was blown.

But we have a whole 7-8 months to gripe (and maybe see Burrow hoist the Lombardi), but we also saw two almost perfect games from Allen and can replay them over & over and extol his virtues.....🤣

Could you imagine winning that game and then Allen melting down the second half vs. Cincy and what we'd be talking about here.  Frankly that could be even worse.....😜

i just think they were athletically so suspect in the secondary for McD/Frazier to feel good about that scheme. TRE white one on one w kelce instead of levi? maybe. 

The coaches are WAY too confident in these players sometimes.

Levi is a borderline journeyman CB in this league. Dane jackson does not have speed or quickness. I thought poyer looked incredibly slow and poor reaction in a lot of plays. 

the only reason they got away with these unathletic players is bc they play this uber forgiving soft zone D

2 hours ago, finn said:

And how about jamming the receivers for a change? At least so they're not running at full speed out of their cuts for gods sake. The Chiefs could not have had a more favorable defense if they had planned it themselves. 

theres a reason for that. bc dane and levi attempt at jamming will absolutely get dusted beat over the top. this is the fault of McD /beane scheme and roster. we can only play soft zone w these players - not capable of playing man or jamming. 

Edited by balln

It's unfortunate. He seems like a coach who is Belicheck-esque where he has every scenario rehearsed and knows exactly what to do in every situation and maybe he does but chokes/freezes in situations like these. From the type of kick-off, from playing unGodly deep coverage for 13 secs, playing the sidelines when chiefs have 2 timeouts, etc etc etc. Everyone is just dumbfounded by the way the last 13 seconds played out.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But had they been deeper it doesn't happen. Both situations require the right call and the right execution and got neither.

Minnesota was playing for a long FG attempt there, not a TD. That was just gravy because the Saints' DB, who was in position, choked and whiffed on Diggs. The players were there; they just failed and Diggs made a play. I disagree with you here.

1 hour ago, TD716 said:

Getting in an insult for his buddy the patriots coach. Thanks for stating the obvious Sean Payton. Go back to putting bounties on players heads. How did he not and not win multiple Super Bowls with a HOF quarterback ?

Well, he lost one chance because of arguably the worst non-call in NFL history. If that call is made, he is in the SB. Don't forget that.

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.