Sean Payton on the end of the Bills-Chiefs game

dave mcbride

I have no idea why so many Bills fans are after McD's head for the playoff loss at Kansas City.

Yes, he is the HC and responsible for what happens on the field. The HC has some control over his assistant coaches and that usually happens before a game and during halftime.

The HC of the Buffalo Bills doesn't call the on field plays for the offense or defense. Those are by DC Lesie Frazier and OC Brian Daboll and it's up to the players to execute them.

It looked to me like Patrick Mahomes has Buffalo's number on defense as they put up 552 yards of offense and that 13 seconds left FG should have never happened.

That's on Buffalo Bills DC Leslie Frazier!

I would like to see the "all-22" on exactly what the Bengals did in the second half of that Championship game to hinder, shut down Mahomes. 

Nevertheless, I'm hoping that Frazier gets a HCing job somewhere... so McD doesn't need to replace him. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I have no idea why so many Bills fans are after McD's head for the playoff loss at Kansas City.

Yes, he is the HC and responsible for what happens on the field. The HC has some control over his assistant coaches and that usually happens before a game and during halftime.

The HC of the Buffalo Bills doesn't call the on field plays for the offense or defense. Those are by DC Lesie Frazier and OC Brian Daboll and it's up to the players to execute them.

It looked to me like Patrick Mahomes has Buffalo's number on defense as they put up 552 yards of offense and that 13 seconds left FG should have never happened.

I would like to see the "all-22" on exactly what the Bengals did in the second half of that Championship game to hinder, shut down Mahomes. 

Nevertheless, I'm hoping that Frazier gets a HCing job somewhere... so McD doesn't need to replace him. 

McDermott will have been involved in both of those defensive calls. I agree Frazier deserves some blame but McDermott is deciding strategy there. 

As for what the Bengals did - they won up front with 4. That is what the Bills really struggled to do. They played a bit braver on the outside as well with Apple and Hilton. You can't really afford to do that though with Jackson and Wallace, especially when you are not winning enough up front, because of their physical limitations. Added to that Mahomes reverted to his early season form, he was not taking short gains and was forcing the ball. I give the Bengals defense a ton of credit, but part of it was the same thing we benefited from in week 5 - Mahomes was off his game in that second half.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I thought the kickoff was the least important play of the drive.  One theory suggests that the call was for Bass to kick the ball short and to the left but he never got the communication.  

Still, Payton confirms what we know.  McDermott and Frazier screwed up on the final drive.  It’s infuriating.  Josh deserved better.  But what can you do?

Yeah but we already knew that.  I’m sure McDermott knows this and our only hope is that he can use this as fuel in 2022

"me and Leslie are chokers!"  isn't high octane fuel....

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

McDermott's part in this would have come much earlier, possibly in training camp when the defensive schemes were installed.  He should have made sure Frazier had a scheme all worked out and communicated to the players for a situation like the end of the KC game.  And Frazier should have had the scheme worked out whether or not McDermott asked him about it.  There was no reason for the Bills to be scratching their heads about what to do.  

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yeah, I remember the "Is our defense elite?" thread or whatever it was called.  I mostly stayed out of it, since it was hard to argue with the stats guys, but I never felt that this defense was anything special when it wasn't getting lucky with turnovers or playing against bottom barrel QBs.  Even now, after it's failures were brought to life in epic fashion, someone will likely come defend Frazier by waving a Pro Football Reference team defense stats printout.

Good offenses can put up points on anyone when they are on.  It's by design from the NFL, it makes for entertaining football.  Defensive rankings are relative to the others.   No defense in this era will meet this "elite" standard from the past many seem to be striving for.

When ranking the Bills defense is when you use the stats.  Maybe you feel you should adjust for the QBs faced, but then be fair and do that with the other teams.   And the "lucky" turnovers would need to be adjusted on all teams also (or not, because you are just getting ridiculous now).

The fire Frazier brigade is showing the emotional IQ of a spoiled gnat.  Frazier had a top 5 defense.  In the playoffs he was playing without his top paid player.  Yes, I think he had a poor 13 seconds and OT.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Bengals won after the Bills lost because Mahomes in the second half played incredibly well against Buffalo and really, really badly against the Bengals.

I am not sure what Cincy did differently in the second half, but it couldn't have been THAT different than anything Mahomes had seen before.  The difference was that Mahomes started missing easy passes he usually makes without even looking (seriously, he can do that).  As a result, KC couldn't sustain drives.  The KC defense arguably played better against Cincy than they did against us, either that or Josh played so much better than Burrow did.  Either way the loss yesterday is completely on Mahomes.  I've never seen a top QB implode like that, certainly not the guy most people think is the best QB in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The Bengals won after the Bills lost because Mahomes in the second half played incredibly well against Buffalo and really, really badly against the Bengals.

I am not sure what Cincy did differently in the second half, but it couldn't have been THAT different than anything Mahomes had seen before.  The difference was that Mahomes started missing easy passes he usually makes without even looking (seriously, he can do that).  As a result, KC couldn't sustain drives.  The KC defense arguably played better against Cincy than they did against us, either that or Josh played so much better than Burrow did.  Either way the loss yesterday is completely on Mahomes.  I've never seen a top QB implode like that, certainly not the guy most people think is the best QB in the NFL.

Mahomes made a few bad decisions. The end of the half really screwed KC.

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott will have been involved in both of those defensive calls. I agree Frazier deserves some blame but McDermott is deciding strategy there. 

As for what the Bengals did - they won up front with 4. That is what the Bills really struggled to do. They played a bit braver on the outside as well with Apple and Hilton. You can't really afford to do that though with Jackson and Wallace, especially when you are not winning enough up front, because of their physical limitations. Added to that Mahomes reverted to his early season form, he was not taking short gains and was forcing the ball. I give the Bengals defense a ton of credit, but part of it was the same thing we benefited from in week 5 - Mahomes was off his game in that second half.  

I agree with everything here except the end.  I don't recall thinking Mahomes was off his game in the second half against us.  I remember Mahomes and Josh both lighting it up against the other team's defense.  If I could bear the pain I'd rewatch the game to check on this, but I haven't worked up the courage to do it yet.

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would have to watch the game again, but I'm not even so sure that "won up front with 4" is the best description.  They either succeeded in taking away rushing lanes for Mahomes, or he wouldn't take them - but as far as I could tell watching the broadcast films, it looked to me as if most of the sacks Mahomes took were coverage sacks.

Mahomes was just off, and/or so were his receivers, like they mentally punched their SB tickets at halftime.  There were catchable throws that were missed or dropped. 

Then Mahomes threw a pick in the 3Q that resulted in quick Bengals points, and I think it made him gunshy. The next 3 drives all ended in stupid sacks.

Before that, I didn't see much Bengals front-4 winning.

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I agree with everything here except the end.  I don't recall thinking Mahomes was off his game in the second half against us.  I remember Mahomes and Josh both lighting it up against the other team's defense.  If I could bear the pain I'd rewatch the game to check on this, but I haven't worked up the courage to do it yet.

John, he's referring to the week 5 game.  And I agree with you, no desire to watch the playoff game again.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would have to watch the game again, but I'm not even so sure that "won up front with 4" is the best description.  They either succeeded in taking away rushing lanes for Mahomes, or he wouldn't take them - but as far as I could tell watching the broadcast films, it looked to me as if most of the sacks Mahomes took were coverage sacks.

Mahomes was just off, and/or so were his receivers, like they mentally punched their SB tickets at halftime.  There were catchable throws that were missed or dropped. 

Then Mahomes threw a pick in the 3Q that resulted in quick Bengals points, and I think it made him gunshy. The next 3 drives all ended in stupid sacks.

Before that, I didn't see much Bengals front-4 winning.

IT wasn't just winning with 4, they dropped 8, the played braver outside, but when they did rush 4 they got to him and critically they contained him. I actually think mentally the mistake before HT had Mahomes in chase mode the whole 2nd half and started looking for big plays again. 

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I meant he was a bit off in the week 5 game. Not last week!

3 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I agree.  The kick-off has been over-analyzed IMO.  Kicking it deep would have been a perfectly fine choice if that's what they intended to do.  The defense just need to not give up two huge plays.  They proceeded to give up two huge plays.

If we haven't learnt anything from the Music City Miracle or the Hail Murray, then we really don't understand it.   These games are good signs that it is not over until the final whistle is blown.   His point was that if they squib kick, we would have shaved a further few more seconds of the clock;  that would mean they only had one play as opposed to two plays to get to the Bills 35.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

IT wasn't just winning with 4, they dropped 8, the played braver outside, but when they did rush 4 they got to him and critically they contained him. I actually think mentally the mistake before HT had Mahomes in chase mode the whole 2nd half and started looking for big plays again. 

I meant he was a bit off in the week 5 game. Not last week!

Sorry for my misunderstanding.  Yes, I agree about the earlier game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I wonder if Payton would like an OC job in Buffalo, paid like a HC and promise of the reins when McClappy screws up again?

I’m not sure that McD has the self-confidence/courage to share space with a big name badass OC (not that I think Payton would come here in that capacity). And thats why I am very interested to see who gets the job here. I think that and the plan for the draft will tell us a lot.

51 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

There is 0.0% chance that McD did not know the defensive playcall at the end of regulation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

We’ve done that short kick all year.  

Exactly.  In this particular case, Payton doesn't know that Bass regularly practices short kicks and that we drafted a talented kicker so that we'd have all of the different options in the kicking game that he gives us.  This was not an issue of distrust in the kicker.  I think McD trusts Bass more than most.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Peter King interviews Sean Payton:

‘Situational football: Buffalo up three on Kansas City with 13 seconds left and kicking off

“A lot of it depends on my kicker. If I’ve got a young kicker I’m not sure I can trust, I will not squib kick. You can’t risk the kick going out of bounds, or being recovered at the 40. I also don’t like trying a pop-up kick to land at the eight- or 10-yard line. I’m not asking a kicker to use a technique, seldom-used, to place a kick somewhere that might determine whether you go to the championship game. I’m probably just kicking the ball deep into the end zone and giving them the ball at the 25, like Buffalo did.

“The crime that is committed comes after that. We are playing football still—you can’t be defending the sidelines at all costs, like Buffalo was. You see when Travis Kelce catches that long pass to put them in field-goal range, a cornerback is defending an area of the field near the sidelines he doesn’t need to defend. Kansas City’s got two timeouts left—they don’t need to get out of bounds. Everything about what Buffalo did defensively is flawed. We would play outside man technique with a three-man rush, funneling balls to the middle of the field and contesting outside technique.”’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/31/rams-bengals-super-bowl-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

SEAN PAYTON PASSES THE INTERVIEW!

BRING HIM IN TO CONTINUE WHAT MCDERMOTT HAS STARTED!

Go BE THE DC SOMEWHERE, MCDERMOTT, AND THANKS!

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

If we haven't learnt anything from the Music City Miracle or the Hail Murray, then we really don't understand it.   These games are good signs that it is not over until the final whistle is blown.   His point was that if they squib kick, we would have shaved a further few more seconds of the clock;  that would mean they only had one play as opposed to two plays to get to the Bills 35.

There are a few ways to lose in the 13 seconds.   One is a kickoff gadget play and the long kickoff eliminated that.  Another is giving Mahomes too much time to throw and letting him complete a bomb.  Rushing 4 generally eliminates that.  I don't know who they had on the field but you could put 4 DE out there or 3DE + Oliver and have some speed to hurry up Mahomes.  Blitz was an option to rush a throw, but Mahomes can pick you apart with that.  I think the general strategy was fine, but you have to execute a D that doesn't give up two chunk plays as was stated.  Upgrading the pass rush is much needed.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's an interesting dissection.  I'm not sure it was just Mahomes.  On the first series after the half, Mahomes had challenging, but catchable ball to Hill go incomplete, followed by a miracle escape where he recovered an aborted snap and threw a catchable ball to Kelce (who dropped it).  The Chiefs punted.  Then the Bengals punted. 

Then Mahomes had 3rd and 6, and threw 2 deep shots instead of just getting the ***** first down.  The 2nd shot was pretty much a drop by Pringle.

That was Mahomes in "chase mode",  looking for the kill shot instead of "taking what the defense gave him". 

The throw to Robinson that turned into an INT and 6 points (TD) for the Bengals looks like a bad decision to me.  It was 2nd and 3. 

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-miss-play-b-j-hill-looks-like-b-j-raji-on-key-big-man-int-vs-mahomes

Looks to me as though Mahomes had Hardman open on the L and someone open on the R, both short of the sticks but could probably have gotten a couple.  He chose to throw to Robinson right over the line, and Raji got a hand on it and picked it.  There's probably an element of luck there, but I can't think it was the best decision.

I can't comment on whether the Bengals contained Mahomes, or whether he was simply overlooking some rush lanes that were there.  Myself, I think he was pressing and looking for the "kill shot" pass.  I also think he was rattled and his throws were a bit off.

I can comment that the Chiefs didn't seem to realize that Burrows has feet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Our defense had to have been the most overrated unit in the entire NFL this year.  They were great when a team was one dimensional (or made so by a quick start from our offense), but it didn't come close to holding up against better offenses and it seems utterly incapable of getting a big stop at critical moments of a game.  In fact, the only time I can remember our defense making a truly big play in the second half of a contested game was Rousseau's pick of Mahomes at the 10 yard line in the regular season Chiefs game.  Other than that, it seems teams were able to get whatever they wanted down the stretch against us in a close game (which is why we went 0fer in 1 score games this year).  Addressing these defensive failures is my number 1 priority in the offseason if I'm Beane and I'd start with a long hard look at Leslie Frazier.

Just curious - for those who have followed Frazier's career, is this kind of his MO?  Beat up on weaklings only to become a bottom-5 defense against diversified offenses?  And I get that "good offenses" are tough for anyone to stop.  But we seemingly can't even slow these guys down for the most part.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Some are aiming too low in trying to identify the problem on defense...it's the scheme and the overall play it safe mentality which didn't start with that game.  Being conservative to mitigate risk is, at times, required.  But it's all more of the default posture of the HC and his DC who calls the scheme the HC desires.  Against top competition, trying to get a lead, protect it, and win is not the way in the NFL of the 2020s.    

Wholeheartedly agree with your final point that McD take a long look in the mirror and ask himself why he needs the personnel and scheme that he does this off-season.  Their exits in 3 straight playoff games combined with the ascendance of Josh should be enough for McD to see that he needs to evolve and stop holding on to outdated ideologies.      

I have to completely agree.   I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt during the season (and honestly what choice did we have).   But now... after exiting the playoffs again, largely due to the defense. They have to rethink the defensive strategy, including players and coaching.   What they’ve built is good... but it’s not good enough. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.