Sean Payton on the end of the Bills-Chiefs game

dave mcbride

40 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Frazier was quoted earlier in the year as saying something to the effect of they don’t like to make adjustments in game because it demonstrates to the players a lack of confidence in the original game plan…. Which is down right ridiculous…. If anything the Championship game showed that these guys have to change up something scheme wise on defense and become more willing to adapt. 

It is ridiculous because the other teams offense is going to adjust.  Why would you not adjust to it?  No one system is going to stop everything.

6 hours ago, stevewin said:

Interesting comments on the kick.  As far as the defense - the one thing the Bills did for sure was funnel the ball to the middle :(

He's covering for McD there. He's the next Bills OC. He and McD have admired each other for years with Panthers D -Saints O.

54 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Frazier was quoted earlier in the year as saying something to the effect of they don’t like to make adjustments in game because it demonstrates to the players a lack of confidence in the original game plan…. Which is down right ridiculous…. If anything the Championship game showed that these guys have to change up something scheme wise on defense and become more willing to adapt. 

I may be wrong but I believe the quote was by a former player (I am not even sure it was a Bill) about defensive coordinators in general, not Frazier in particular.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:50 AM, racketmaster said:

I would have only rushed 2 defenders with 13 seconds because it does not matter if you get home or not with that little time and with them having timeouts. If Mahomes wanted to stand back there for 11 seconds before throwing so be it. Then game is over by time ball lands. Rushing 2 makes most sense but I could have lived with 3. Rushing 4 on both plays was criminally stupid in that situation. I could care less about the squib because a lot could have happened and Bills likely would be worried about Hill being put back there and getting a big return. 

This is why McD and Frazier are absolutely clueless in these key situational moments,  or in a games key critical moment.  When the right play call needs to be made on the field to prevent an opposing team from doing what KC did to us on D,  this team fails over and over because our coaches have instilled in its players to not play reactively when the moment calls for it.  Instead everything is scripted so badly we end up having players doing nothing but standing on the field out of position, looking around dumbfounded.   Our Defensive football IQ against good teams is less than acceptable,  reading what the other team is trying to do or preventing them from making a must have big play has not happened yet with this coaching staff.

Like every other NFL Media outlet has said over and over this past couple of weeks, the coaching staff blew the last 13 seconds of this game.  

It is an embarrassment that other NFL, coaches are now chiming in, and pointing out these obvious flaws with our Defensive play calling strategy and our situational awareness while on D. 

Way to go McD and Frazier you guys get to wear the dunce cap the rest of this off season and go stand in the damn corner.

Frasier has to go....McD needs to go next if we fail to get to a SB in this coming season.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I feel like our entire team and coaching staff was so mindblown that JA actually pulled out that final drive and put them up by 3 with 13 seconds left that after that everyone just had a collective "oh god don't ***** it up don't ***** it up oh ***** we ***** it up"

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, stevewin said:

Interesting comments on the kick.  As far as the defense - the one thing the Bills did for sure was funnel the ball to the middle :(

I really enjoyed what he had to say and you could see they were so terrified of getting burned on D by Hill that it allowed KC far more opportunity then they ever should've had

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, stevewin said:

Bass has kicked that high pop up around the 10 probably 15x this season. That was the call and no one relayed that information to Bass. 5 seconds come off and now there's only time for 1 hail mary into fg range. Then go ahead and rush 3, drop 8 (all DB's).

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

It is ridiculous because the other teams offense is going to adjust.  Why would you not adjust to it?  No one system is going to stop everything.

ScottLaw isn't quite quoting what Leslie said. Leslie said it is really hard to adjust mid game to something you haven't practiced all week. He said you have a plan and you normally have some wrinkles you can go to but throwing out the gameplan and doing something totally different is generally a bad idea. 

I discussed it at the time that he gave the interview with my former NFL position coach buddy who now lives in the UK and his take on it was he agreed with Leslie. He said the future HoF coach that he worked for tried it once at half time in a game and they got run outta the show and their conclusion was "we are never doing that again". It comes down to the fact, for me, that any call is only as good as its execution. If you change to something your guys are not ready to execute you are dead in the water. 

There is a nuance between that and "we don't believe in adjustments". 

4 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

Rush 0 and double team everyone. That’d would been epic. 

Just tackle every pass catchers and the Bills win. Instead they let Kelce and Hill run free untouched. Beyond pathetic. Makes me sick. As time passes I get more disgusted. I can't see Frazier and McD in the same positive mind frame. 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course that from a man who did "still play defense" and give up the Minnesota miracle. 

Hmm I disagree that the situations are comparable. The Minnesota miracle was more or a player failure than a scheme/coaching failure like we had with frasier and mcd in KC. Saints safety was in position to make the play, and he blew it. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.