Sean Payton on the end of the Bills-Chiefs game

dave mcbride

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They have a perfect spy candidate in the otherwise useless-vs-Mahomes Tremaine Edmunds.   

Funny you should mention. But that play on the final drive in regulation where Mahomes seemed to have forever he tried twice to look off Logan Wilson at MLB for the Bengals. He did it in his initial progression and Wilson didn't bite. He stayed dead centre field in his zone. Then Mahomes came back to it after finding nothing open. He now had a receiver on scramble drill coming across the endzone (think it was Hardman but would need to watch again) but Wilson was in the passing lane. Mahomes looks him off and ***** to throw. Wilson doesn't bite. Again. He continues to stand his ground guarding what appears like nobody he is not giving up that centre field. 

It might be harsh but in that moment my thought was "Edmunds bites there and Mahomes throws a TD behind him". 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott will have been involved in both of those defensive calls. I agree Frazier deserves some blame but McDermott is deciding strategy there. 

As for what the Bengals did - they won up front with 4. That is what the Bills really struggled to do. They played a bit braver on the outside as well with Apple and Hilton. You can't really afford to do that though with Jackson and Wallace, especially when you are not winning enough up front, because of their physical limitations. Added to that Mahomes reverted to his early season form, he was not taking short gains and was forcing the ball. I give the Bengals defense a ton of credit, but part of it was the same thing we benefited from in week 5 - Mahomes was off his game in that second half.  

Yeah it took a WHOLE LOT to go right for Cinci and wrong for KC for that result to happen. 

But the big difference is that Cinci isn't married to one thing on defense..........the Bills ultimately are.

No excuse to have players together for as long as they have had that back 7 and not be able to do what Cinci did in the second half.

I'm sure you'll say it's the CB's but I think the lack of scheme diversity largely begins with Edmunds..........which is crazy because he should be an ultimate wildcard type of player with his size and athleticism..........but he plays the brain of the defense and might be the least instinctive player on the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Sal C spoke with Jay Feely at the game and Jay told him he would kick it out of bounds as too many weird things can happen on the kickoff.

He also mentioned that during the year the CBs are told to guard the sideline and don't get beat there. He felt that Levi simply reverted to what he was tight and hammered into his head. This also could be part of the execution that was missed according to McD

Out of bounds ? And give it to them at the 40 ? 

• Agree 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it took a WHOLE LOT to go right for Cinci and wrong for KC for that result to happen. 

But the big difference is that Cinci isn't married to one thing on defense..........the Bills ultimately are.

No excuse to have players together for as long as they have had that back 7 and not be able to do what Cinci did in the second half.

I'm sure you'll say it's the CB's but I think the lack of scheme diversity largely begins with Edmunds..........which is crazy because he should be an ultimate wildcard type of player with his size and athleticism..........but he plays the brain of the defense and might be the least instinctive player on the field.

this is it, our d coaches (gotta include the HC in this, not sure how involved he is day to day but it all stops at him) get the guys fired up and running what they build for them, but it comes at the expense of not having anything to fall back on or change up whit the fit hits the shan.

we miss a ton of tackles because guys are in position to make a lot of tackles, i can live w that.  we rush a generally fresh 4 and don't get a lot of sacks because we try to rush as a team and impact passes more than finish the qb off, to an extent i can live with that.  our LBs are out of position sometimes because they have so much to do and it's such a hard job, i can sorta live with that.  what i can't live with is being easy to predict and slow to change.  

the dvoa stats are crap because it's not over a large enough sample set, and the variability is too high (we placed the coprses of back ups padding our stats, and we got trucked like ever fan expected way too often).  a couple better play makers would help, but we have a schematic issue where we don't put enough of a challenge up against good Os, and we simply don't adjust at all.

im optimistic, i think one new guy in the front 7 who can play at a high level (letting our old wood walk too, they can be replaced by lots of people.  remember when zimmer was an upgrade to butler last season?) and either a new DC or McD taking over the D (assuming he can, i'll presume he's got enough more smarts than frazier to fix it) and we have the d we need.

1 hour ago, deadbeef said:

There are a few ways to lose in the 13 seconds.   One is a kickoff gadget play and the long kickoff eliminated that.  Another is giving Mahomes too much time to throw and letting him complete a bomb.  Rushing 4 generally eliminates that.  I don't know who they had on the field but you could put 4 DE out there or 3DE + Oliver and have some speed to hurry up Mahomes.  Blitz was an option to rush a throw, but Mahomes can pick you apart with that.  I think the general strategy was fine, but you have to execute a D that doesn't give up two chunk plays as was stated.  Upgrading the pass rush is much needed.

Did you see the DB's?  They were 40 yards off the LOS and others covering the sidelines.....  Lunacy.

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. A bit I do. But I think he made a lot of bad decisions. I give Cincy a ton of credit. But Mahomes lost that game for Kansas City. And it is the first time that has happened to him in the post season. 

In the Bills 1st game this year against KC, it looked as though Buffalo employed the same tactics Cincinnati did in 2nd half causing the TOs and confusion 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How about we don't be cute, and you just share what you think and why with the conversation?

Just giving a reference point 

6 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

True, but the fall down on that play was the player not the scheme. 

I'd rather a human being fail me than setting a human being up to fail. 

That's me though.

And then the Non-PI the next year.  A player blows it, we can call for their head (fair or unfair).  Those 13 seconds were 3 plays all terribly coached.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And then the Non-PI the next year.  A player blows it, we can call for their head (fair or unfair).  Those 13 seconds were 3 plays all terribly coached.

So badly coached that if Frazier called them solo if have a hard time allowing him back.

If McD was in on it, it is what it is.

If you don’t go for 2 then you certainly execute the squib kick. We can go into “what-if” scenarios for an eternity but the fact remains the Bills didn’t play aggressive enough to win. They played ultra-conservatively and it backfired on them.

15 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

In the Bills 1st game this year against KC, it looked as though Buffalo employed the same tactics Cincinnati did in 2nd half causing the TOs and confusion 

Just giving a reference point 

I don't think the Bills played that different week 5 and playoffs defensively. We pressed a bit more at the line week 5 with Tre and Klein played a bit more north to south than Milano but the plan was largely the same. Mahomes was off a bit week 5 and second half v Cincy. He was 100% dialled in last week.  

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the Bills played that different week 5 and playoffs defensively. We pressed a bit more at the line week 5 with Tre and Klein played a bit more north to south than Milano but the plan was largely the same. Mahomes was off a bit week 5 and second half v Cincy. He was 100% dialled in last week.  

Doesn't matter, those last 13 seconds were a coaching abomination.

7 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

So badly coached that if Frazier called them solo if have a hard time allowing him back.

If McD was in on it, it is what it is.

Remember the Bills are in McD's words "The most prepared team in the NFL".....  Self anointed and he proved that false....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.