Sean Payton on the end of the Bills-Chiefs game

dave mcbride

By not making them return the kickoff was giving KC a free play out to the 25. But I agree the defense should not have been giving them the middle of the field because as was stated, with 2 timeouts available, KC did not need to use the sidelines. Payton's thoughts are similar to what I saw. Also, why were our safeties so deep. They were basically giving KC those yards.

Edited by PaBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Even if we played those two plays correctly, a team as offensively talented as KC could've still gotten the job done. 

Giving them all the green they needed with no resistance is still inexcusable. 

I agree that is kind of my point. There are multiple ways to play it. I didn't like the Bills way but you can stay in your base defense and get burned too. Payton should know that better than anyone. 

• Agree 2

• dave mcbride changed the title to Sean Payton on the end of the Bills-Chiefs game

We know it was one mistake after another. Do we need Sean Payton to explain what we did wrong. Sean McDermott has to sleep with it. Hopefully this scar makes Sean more proactive when the stakes are so high. Belichick, Parcells, Payton all know when you can make a move to improve your chances, take the risk. Bills fans will expect that henceforth. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m just hoping yesterday blew a huge hole in the Chiefs mystique. If you remember they won their one Super Bowl two years ago when they were losing to SF the entire game up until the final minute. Then they got blown out last year by Tampa, and now they missed out altogether. If they can get knocked out of home field advantage next year the narrative will have to be rewritten. 

Don’t forget the AFC South Murderer’s Row they faced in the playoffs that year: Bill O’Brian’s Texans and The Meathead’s Titans.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Peter King interviews Sean Payton:

‘Situational football: Buffalo up three on Kansas City with 13 seconds left and kicking off

“A lot of it depends on my kicker. If I’ve got a young kicker I’m not sure I can trust, I will not squib kick. You can’t risk the kick going out of bounds, or being recovered at the 40. I also don’t like trying a pop-up kick to land at the eight- or 10-yard line. I’m not asking a kicker to use a technique, seldom-used, to place a kick somewhere that might determine whether you go to the championship game. I’m probably just kicking the ball deep into the end zone and giving them the ball at the 25, like Buffalo did.

“The crime that is committed comes after that. We are playing football still—you can’t be defending the sidelines at all costs, like Buffalo was. You see when Travis Kelce catches that long pass to put them in field-goal range, a cornerback is defending an area of the field near the sidelines he doesn’t need to defend. Kansas City’s got two timeouts left—they don’t need to get out of bounds. Everything about what Buffalo did defensively is flawed. We would play outside man technique with a three-man rush, funneling balls to the middle of the field and contesting outside technique.”’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/31/rams-bengals-super-bowl-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

Makes sense,  they tossed out the Bass screwed up rumor so it would deflect from the obvious poor coaching schemes on two next plays.  They offered zero defence and that is all on Sean and Frazier. Biggest screw up back to back plays in Bills playoff history and Sean does not want to talk about it.

Edited by Niagara Dude
spelling
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

All but 2 or 3 losses in the last 2 seasons can be attributed to the defense in one way or another.    We have to find a way with Dabs leaving to maintain the offensive stability we’ve seen the last 2 years. 

But more importantly we have to do get better on defense.  Be more aggressive?  Tackle better?  Cover a tight end?  I don’t have the answer... but, I also don’t have confidence that the guy running the defense the last 2 years has the answer either.  

This is the off season, IMO, when good teams take some serious looks in the mirror and make the necessary, and often painful, tweaks to the roster and coaching staff to finally get over the hump and become great teams. 

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

All but 2 or 3 losses in the last 2 seasons can be attributed to the defense in one way or another.    We have to find a way with Dabs leaving to maintain the offensive stability we’ve seen the last 2 years. 

But more importantly we have to do get better on defense.  Be more aggressive?  Tackle better?  Cover a tight end?  I don’t have the answer... but, I also don’t have confidence that the guy running the defense the last 2 years has the answer either.  

This is the off season, IMO, when good teams take some serious looks in the mirror and make the necessary, and often painful, tweaks to the roster and coaching staff to finally get over the hump and become great teams. 

Our defense had to have been the most overrated unit in the entire NFL this year.  They were great when a team was one dimensional (or made so by a quick start from our offense), but it didn't come close to holding up against better offenses and it seems utterly incapable of getting a big stop at critical moments of a game.  In fact, the only time I can remember our defense making a truly big play in the second half of a contested game was Rousseau's pick of Mahomes at the 10 yard line in the regular season Chiefs game.  Other than that, it seems teams were able to get whatever they wanted down the stretch against us in a close game (which is why we went 0fer in 1 score games this year).  Addressing these defensive failures is my number 1 priority in the offseason if I'm Beane and I'd start with a long hard look at Leslie Frazier.

Just curious - for those who have followed Frazier's career, is this kind of his MO?  Beat up on weaklings only to become a bottom-5 defense against diversified offenses?  And I get that "good offenses" are tough for anyone to stop.  But we seemingly can't even slow these guys down for the most part.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PetermansRedemption said:

I would think that if your going to make that promise, you might as well just fire McDermott. Because that would create quite the rift amongst your coaching staff. 

Ok, just do it.  I’m sure The Bills feel compelled to let McDermott screw up another entire season before they admit he is Marv Lewis 2.0

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

I would have only rushed 2 defenders with 13 seconds because it does not matter if you get home or not with that little time and with them having timeouts. If Mahomes wanted to stand back there for 11 seconds before throwing so be it. Then game is over by time ball lands. Rushing 2 makes most sense but I could have lived with 3. Rushing 4 on both plays was criminally stupid in that situation. I could care less about the squib because a lot could have happened and Bills likely would be worried about Hill being put back there and getting a big return. 

I thought the same thing about being worried that Hill being back there, but in fact, I found out a couple of days ago that he wasn't. He was on the sidelines.

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Interesting comments on the kick.  As far as the defense - the one thing the Bills did for sure was funnel the ball to the middle :(

No it isn't as Bass did it all year and never an issue (Pop Up Kick).

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Our defense had to have been the most overrated unit in the entire NFL this year.  They were great when a team was one dimensional (or made so by a quick start from our offense), but it didn't come close to holding up against better offenses and it seems utterly incapable of getting a big stop at critical moments of a game.  In fact, the only time I can remember our defense making a truly big play in the second half of a contested game was Rousseau's pick of Mahomes at the 10 yard line in the regular season Chiefs game.  Other than that, it seems teams were able to get whatever they wanted down the stretch against us in a close game (which is why we went 0fer in 1 score games this year).  Addressing these defensive failures is my number 1 priority in the offseason if I'm Beane and I'd start with a long hard look at Leslie Frazier.

Just curious - for those who have followed Frazier's career, is this kind of his MO?  Beat up on weaklings only to become a bottom-5 defense against diversified offenses?  And I get that "good offenses" are tough for anyone to stop.  But we seemingly can't even slow these guys down for the most part.

And you would have been shouted down as delusional as stats showed the Bills are #1.  The McD "Truthers" (more so then those supporting Frazier) get very upset at this heresy....

45 minutes ago, PaBills said:

By not making them return the kickoff was giving KC a free play out to the 25. But I agree the defense should not have been giving them the middle of the field because as was stated, with 2 timeouts available, KC did not need to use the sidelines. Payton's thoughts are similar to what I saw. Also, why were our safeties so deep. They were basically giving KC those yards.

The free play really bothered me.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/31/rams-bengals-super-bowl-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

I've always liked Peter King. And I respect Sean Payton as both a head coach, and an offensive mind.

So this quote of his - although not surprising to we fans here - was music to my ears. Or eyes, I guess since I read it.

The young quarterback he’d pick to build a franchise around today:

“We just saw them duel. Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes. A tie. When everything isn’t perfect, and there are many times in a game when things aren’t perfect, they’re the best two in the game at the off-schedule throws.

“I like Joe Burrow. I love Joe Burrow. I just trust the other guys to run it better. But that’s like, I like vanilla and pistachio, you like butter pecan. All good choices.”

He had some other comments I also found interesting...

Changing overtime rules:

Payton: “We’ve hit the threshold. There has to be some change. At least for the postseason, each team should get a possession, and if it’s tied after those two possessions, the game continues, and it’s sudden death starting with the third possession.”

and (sorry in advance for this one):

Situational football - Buffalo up three on Kansas City with 13 seconds left and kicking off:

“A lot of it depends on my kicker. If I’ve got a young kicker I’m not sure I can trust, I will not squib kick. You can’t risk the kick going out of bounds, or being recovered at the 40. I also don’t like trying a pop-up kick to land at the eight- or 10-yard line. I’m not asking a kicker to use a technique, seldom-used, to place a kick somewhere that might determine whether you go to the championship game. I’m probably just kicking the ball deep into the end zone and giving them the ball at the 25, like Buffalo did."

“The crime that is committed comes after that. We are playing football still—you can’t be defending the sidelines at all costs, like Buffalo was. You see when Travis Kelce catches that long pass to put them in field-goal range, a cornerback is defending an area of the field near the sidelines he doesn’t need to defend. Kansas City’s got two timeouts left—they don’t need to get out of bounds. Everything about what Buffalo did defensively is flawed. We would play outside man technique with a three-man rush, funneling balls to the middle of the field and contesting outside technique.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

HOLY S***!!!!!!  Did Sean Payton just rediscover the wheel?  The same wheel that we discovered prior to the OT coin flip?  

maybe we should just regurgitate the same exact thing every day, all day until next season starts. 

sounds like a fun offseason. 

Geoff Ramsey Mood GIF by Rooster Teeth

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And you would have been shouted down as delusional as stats showed the Bills are #1.  The McD "Truthers" (more so then those supporting Frazier) get very upset at this heresy....

Yeah, I remember the "Is our defense elite?" thread or whatever it was called.  I mostly stayed out of it, since it was hard to argue with the stats guys, but I never felt that this defense was anything special when it wasn't getting lucky with turnovers or playing against bottom barrel QBs.  Even now, after it's failures were brought to life in epic fashion, someone will likely come defend Frazier by waving a Pro Football Reference team defense stats printout.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Peter King interviews Sean Payton:

‘Situational football: Buffalo up three on Kansas City with 13 seconds left and kicking off

“I’m not asking a kicker to use a technique, seldom-used, to place a kick somewhere that might determine whether you go to the championship game."

What Payton should know since he had to watch Bills film this year is that the Bills kicked short of the goal line frequently and with considerable success all season.  It's not a seldom-used technique for Buffalo.

There was a thread here back in mid-season that discussed the fact that Bass was using a 3 step approach on some of his kickoffs, and the result was drive starts inside the 25.

Payton's just wrong on this one.

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.