Sean Payton on the end of the Bills-Chiefs game

dave mcbride

Peter King interviews Sean Payton:

‘Situational football: Buffalo up three on Kansas City with 13 seconds left and kicking off

“A lot of it depends on my kicker. If I’ve got a young kicker I’m not sure I can trust, I will not squib kick. You can’t risk the kick going out of bounds, or being recovered at the 40. I also don’t like trying a pop-up kick to land at the eight- or 10-yard line. I’m not asking a kicker to use a technique, seldom-used, to place a kick somewhere that might determine whether you go to the championship game. I’m probably just kicking the ball deep into the end zone and giving them the ball at the 25, like Buffalo did.

“The crime that is committed comes after that. We are playing football still—you can’t be defending the sidelines at all costs, like Buffalo was. You see when Travis Kelce catches that long pass to put them in field-goal range, a cornerback is defending an area of the field near the sidelines he doesn’t need to defend. Kansas City’s got two timeouts left—they don’t need to get out of bounds. Everything about what Buffalo did defensively is flawed. We would play outside man technique with a three-man rush, funneling balls to the middle of the field and contesting outside technique.”’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/31/rams-bengals-super-bowl-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 25
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I would have only rushed 2 defenders with 13 seconds because it does not matter if you get home or not with that little time and with them having timeouts. If Mahomes wanted to stand back there for 11 seconds before throwing so be it. Then game is over by time ball lands. Rushing 2 makes most sense but I could have lived with 3. Rushing 4 on both plays was criminally stupid in that situation. I could care less about the squib because a lot could have happened and Bills likely would be worried about Hill being put back there and getting a big return. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

I would have only rushed 2 defenders with 13 seconds because it does not matter if you get home or not with that little time and with them having timeouts. If Mahomes wanted to stand back there for 11 seconds before throwing so be it. Then game is over by time ball lands. Rushing 2 makes most sense but I could have lived with 3. Rushing 4 on both plays was criminally stupid in that situation. I could care less about the squib because a lot could have happened and Bills likely would be worried about Hill being put back there and getting a big return. 

This is on the coaching staff for not working out the situational football.  Also calling the timeout gave the Chiefs the opportunity at what our defense was going to show

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

‘Situational football: Buffalo up three on Kansas City with 13 seconds left and kicking off

“A lot of it depends on my kicker. If I’ve got a young kicker I’m not sure I can trust, I will not squib kick. You can’t risk the kick going out of bounds, or being recovered at the 40. I also don’t like trying a pop-up kick to land at the eight- or 10-yard line. I’m not asking a kicker to use a technique, seldom-used, to place a kick somewhere that might determine whether you go to the championship game. I’m probably just kicking the ball deep into the end zone and giving them the ball at the 25, like Buffalo did.

“The crime that is committed comes after that. We are playing football still—you can’t be defending the sidelines at all costs, like Buffalo was. You see when Travis Kelce catches that long pass to put them in field-goal range, a cornerback is defending an area of the field near the sidelines he doesn’t need to defend. Kansas City’s got two timeouts left—they don’t need to get out of bounds. Everything about what Buffalo did defensively is flawed. We would play outside man technique with a three-man rush, funneling balls to the middle of the field and contesting outside technique.”’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/31/rams-bengals-super-bowl-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

I take his point that the squib kick isn't a slam-dunk call, but the Bass-Master had been successfully pinning teams deep all season.  So this wasn't a case of a "seldom used" technique or a kicker we're not sure we can trust.

The point is valid that the kick through the endzone doesn't matter if the defense "does its job".

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3

I’m just hoping yesterday blew a huge hole in the Chiefs mystique. If you remember they won their one Super Bowl two years ago when they were losing to SF the entire game up until the final minute. Then they got blown out last year by Tampa, and now they missed out altogether. If they can get knocked out of home field advantage next year the narrative will have to be rewritten. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I'm sorry but that defense was inexcusable. Half drunk football fans with 0 coaching experience all over America knew what to do better then that.

Cost Frazier any chance at being a head coach again. I don't think he will get another shot now. 

I wouldn't want to hire any part of that.

At least Peyton gives us a little bit on insight on the kick

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I take his point that the squib kick isn't a slam-dunk call, but the Bass-Master had been successfully pinning teams deep all season.  So this wasn't a case of a "seldom used" technique or a kicker we're not sure we can trust.

The point is valid that the kick through the endzone doesn't matter if the defense "does its job".

I thought the kickoff was the least important play of the drive.  One theory suggests that the call was for Bass to kick the ball short and to the left but he never got the communication.  

Still, Payton confirms what we know.  McDermott and Frazier screwed up on the final drive.  It’s infuriating.  Josh deserved better.  But what can you do?

2 minutes ago, Evian said:

"Everything about what Buffalo did defensively is flawed.” -Sean Payton

Translation. McDermott and Frazier choked.

Yeah but we already knew that.  I’m sure McDermott knows this and our only hope is that he can use this as fuel in 2022

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 2

appeciate the insight of a respected insider, ok so the kick-off may or may not have been flawed but a high kick to the 5 or 10 should have been the play over the touchback and no time runoff ?

the D took away the long ball and the sideline but gave the middle seam

further suggestions:

1. 2 or 3 man rush not 4

2. one defensive hold esp on first down should have been ordered to run more time

3 the use of timeouts on D is zero benefit as the O see the D as well as was the case with Kelce telling Mahomes his analysis during the timeout, plus Mahomes yelled for Kecle "Do It Kelce do it !" and the D did not pick up on that ???

53 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m just hoping yesterday blew a huge hole in the Chiefs mystique. If you remember they won their one Super Bowl two years ago when they were losing to SF the entire game up until the final minute. Then they got blown out last year by Tampa, and now they missed out altogether. If they can get knocked out of home field advantage next year the narrative will have to be rewritten. 

I’m hopeful that there’s mutual destruction in that division next year. 

Sal C spoke with Jay Feely at the game and Jay told him he would kick it out of bounds as too many weird things can happen on the kickoff.

He also mentioned that during the year the CBs are told to guard the sideline and don't get beat there. He felt that Levi simply reverted to what he was tight and hammered into his head. This also could be part of the execution that was missed according to McD

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

We have kicked it high and short of the goal line for the last two years with Bass. WTH is he talking about "seldom used"

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course that from a man who did "still play defense" and give up the Minnesota miracle. 

Even if we played those two plays correctly, a team as offensively talented as KC could've still gotten the job done. 

Giving them all the green they needed with no resistance is still inexcusable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.