So has the defensive line "rotation" thing been exposed as nonsense?

Jim

5 hours ago, Jim said:

Topic kinda speaks for itself. Everybody was talking about how gassed our defense was at the end of last week's game. And when one considers what that means, it usually speaks of the poor pass rushers who just run out of gas.

But errrr....isn't Seany's beloved rotational d-line scheme supposed to keep our half-assed defensive line talent "fresh" whereas other teams with actual star players, their guys get tired, so that's a win for us. I think McDermott needs to learn that the rotation is trash. Get good players, and get decent depth. Cuz trotting Vernon Butler out there or AJ Epenesa to spell whoever hasn't helped anybody. And likely has made the growth of Groot and Boogie a longer project as they haven't gotten on the field as much as they otherwise would have.

Yeah, this makes total sense! 

One particular instance of something not working as designed proves it is bogus. 

This type of thought provoking content is the stuff that makes this place special! 

Luck was on mahomes side the first game and yesterday those times he slipped away from the Bills he wasn't able to do against the Bengals. 

This all came down to luck.

22 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Yeah, this makes total sense! 

One particular instance of something not working as designed proves it is bogus. 

This type of thought provoking content is the stuff that makes this place special! 

Aka Hot takes

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Run out of gas?

Isn’t the very premise of the rotation supposed to prevent just such a thing?

It is. 

However, it probably wasn’t expecting to be in such a high quality offensive shootout.

That was no ordinary game.

The rotation of the D Line, will prevent them being gassed, in a majority of instances, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

I’m not advocating for or against it, just pointing out that it does work mostly.

I’m sure McD would want better talent to work with, even with a rotation, but it is what it is.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Luck was on mahomes side the first game and yesterday those times he slipped away from the Bills he wasn't able to do against the Bengals. 

This all came down to luck.

Aka Hot takes

I mean look… there very well be some validity to the fact that a D-LINE rotation doesn’t work or isn’t as effective as another personnel set up.

It’s just that picking out one particular instance and championing it as proof is a horrible way to approach things. 

The Bills sports medicine staff and analysts are pretty good at injury prevention and honestly pretty advanced with sleep and nutrition. I’m sure these types of decisions aren’t haphazardly thrown together like the OP. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Topic kinda speaks for itself. Everybody was talking about how gassed our defense was at the end of last week's game. And when one considers what that means, it usually speaks of the poor pass rushers who just run out of gas.

But errrr....isn't Seany's beloved rotational d-line scheme supposed to keep our half-assed defensive line talent "fresh" whereas other teams with actual star players, their guys get tired, so that's a win for us. I think McDermott needs to learn that the rotation is trash. Get good players, and get decent depth. Cuz trotting Vernon Butler out there or AJ Epenesa to spell whoever hasn't helped anybody. And likely has made the growth of Groot and Boogie a longer project as they haven't gotten on the field as much as they otherwise would have.

No dick Leslie Frazier, has been exposed he never changes his playbook and teams know as long as he is there they have a chance to win against the Bills because he never changes his playbook.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

I know a lot of folks want to highlight the DLINE, but if you replay the final set of downs in that game, Matt Milano was the victim.  He couldn't keep up with Kelce. 

Now having said that, Cincy did a phenomenal job of contain.  And they clearly watched the Bills game and learned from it.  They were at times rushing just three DLINE and dropping everyone else in coverage at key downs in the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

No two teams are built the same, nor do coaches/GM's address their roster the same.   Also, defensive philosophies are different, that is all ok.  And there is more than one way win.  I agree they dont have a game wreaker but those guys are hard to come by.   The "rotation" is not the Bills problem.  Rosseau and Basham were not stunted because of it. 

The Bills with their roster this year could easily have been one of the two left still.   The problem was coaching/playcalls with 13 seconds and not the rotation.  But they DL was tired, that was obvious.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, wjag said:

I know a lot of folks want to highlight the DLINE, but if you replay the final set of downs in that game, Matt Milano was the victim.  He couldn't keep up with Kelce. 

Now having said that, Cincy did a phenomenal job of contain.  And they clearly watched the Bills game and learned from it.  They were at times rushing just three DLINE and dropping everyone else in coverage at key downs in the game.

agree, we don't have a 3 man D Line that I can remember seeing... maybe I'm wrong.   could have used this during the  13 seconds

The problem isn't the rotation. It is the talent. Ed Oliver apart the guys just are not that good. 

Two has beens on the edge. Groot who had a nice rookie year but is still developing. Boogie also a rookie and AJE who is running out of chances. 

Star who was a non-factor post covid, Harrison who is a nice story but a JAG and Vernon Butler who is a "never was". 

I think they should leave Ed on the field more. But the rest of them it doesn't matter how much they rotate. The players themselves are not good enough. They have to hope Groot takes a step and Boogie takes an almighty leap. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buddo said:

It is. 

However, it probably wasn’t expecting to be in such a high quality offensive shootout.

That was no ordinary game.

The rotation of the D Line, will prevent them being gassed, in a majority of instances, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

I’m not advocating for or against it, just pointing out that it does work mostly.

I’m sure McD would want better talent to work with, even with a rotation, but it is what it is.

If this is indeed true, and it may be, then the rotational system is a bigger bust than originally thought. 

8 hours ago, Jim said:

Higher quality and not quantity,  rotation means nothing because we had no one able to get home on consistent basis.  Getting sacks has been the biggest problem with this team and soft defence 

It’s sort of like in basketball where who gives a damn if you have 10 decent players to have depth. You need the impacts studs or else it doesn’t matter. Players 5-10 don’t matter as much if the top 4 aren’t giving you anything that players 5-10 can’t. Beane needs to deal out first rounder to some team way over the cap for a blue chipper languishing on a crappy team. Not sure who that is but our window is now. Don’t waste Josh. Frazier’s bend but don’t break D makes no sense anyways. Shouldn’t we be agressive on D to get josh the ball instead of giving teams long drives and keeping it from josh? So what if we give up a score here and there, get it back to Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem isn't the rotation. It is the talent. Ed Oliver apart the guys just are not that good. 

Two has beens on the edge. Groot who had a nice rookie year but is still developing. Boogie also a rookie and AJE who is running out of chances. 

Star who was a non-factor post covid, Harrison who is a nice story but a JAG and Vernon Butler who is a "never was". 

I think they should leave Ed on the field more. But the rest of them it doesn't matter how much they rotate. The players themselves are not good enough. They have to hope Groot takes a step and Boogie takes an almighty leap. 

My assumption is that Groot and Boogie now are through the "rookie wall", see how long the season really is, will work on getting better and bigger for next season in an real NFL off-season conditioning program and make a bigger impact come July, August and beyond.   Horrible Harry , same thing, instead of re habbing a major knee injury in the offseason and then playing all season with another injury, he can recover (unless he needs another surgery :(. ). and have a real off season of conditioning and come back fully healthy and stacked.  Plus Hughes/Addison could not play full time anyway.

Thank goodness McD had a rotational scheme to get over all these individual players issues..  If AJE, Groot, Boogs, and Harry step it up a level this year, we may see them taking more snaps than they did in the past.  McD is learning I believe 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This. 100%.

Someone once said in regards to QB's and RB's, If you have 2, then you don't have 1. (This applies to us at RB also)

Well, we have 8 D-Linemen. 

Edmunds played 100% of the snaps for 11 games this year including the playoffs. His least being week 2 @ Miami at 61%

Rousseau had 11 games this year with less than 50% of the snaps, with his highest being week 2 @ Miami at 66%

You want him to be a sack machine and learn the game better? well give him 75%+ snaps and stop rotating everyone around 50%.

Rotating the DL keeps them fresh for sure, but it'll also limit there growth.

The more playing time they give Rousseau, Boogy, Oliver, AJ, and whoever else they decide to draft this year, the better they'll be.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It seemed that starting in the last 4 or 5 game and playoffs the snap counts tended to look less liked a full rotation and more like "get your aces in their places". Oliver, Phillips and Groot's snaps increased a bit while Star slide down the snap count list. Hughes was up and down.

Addison is one guy I think benefited by rotating. I believe he had 7 sacks and played under 50% of the snaps by the end of the year. Boogie, when active seemed to both show flashes and be exploited. Life of a rookie I suppose.

AJE, outside of a couple games I largely forgot was even active. The only thing to hope for with him is that Oliver took some time to improve, so it may just happen for AJ as well. One can hope.

I do know that I'm tired of using day 1 and 2 picks on high upside guys that will be good in 3 years and inactive their rookie season on game day. We need players that can play now and it a reasonably high level.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.