Referee Intervention

Brand J

I think it’s pretty clear to everyone watching, the NFL has advised the refs to hold onto their flags this postseason. They’re not making game altering calls and they’re allowing the players to decide the games. An interesting side effect to this, is that this postseason, starting in the divisional round, has had some of the most enjoyable games I’ve ever seen.
Is there a correlation between the refs holding their flags and the entertainment value of these games skyrocketing? Or is it simply a coincidence?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I think it’s pretty clear to everyone watching, the NFL has advised the refs to hold onto their flags this postseason. They’re not making game altering calls and they’re allowing the players to decide the games. An interesting side effect to this, is that this postseason, starting in the divisional round, has had some of the most enjoyable games I’ve ever seen.
Is there a correlation between the refs holding their flags and the entertainment value of these games skyrocketing? Or is it simply a coincidence?

It's just because Brady and NE aren't in the playoffs anymore.  No one left to pay them off.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

It got so bad a few years ago that I cancelled my ST and just  stopped watching the NFL because officiating had taken over both the games and broadcasts.

10 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Is there a correlation between the refs holding their flags and the entertainment value of these games skyrocketing?

A thousand times, yes

• Like (+1) 1

I posted data a few weeks back about the number of calls per game pre and post our Jacksonville game which was an abomination of officiating.  Flags per game have declined.  Someone got a memo.

They seem to have fallen off a cliff this post season and it's been awesome - on the last Davis TD no one was even thinking "but wait is there a flag??"

Egregious calls only - it's ok to think for a second before instantly throwing the flag.  And to discuss with the other officials if you aren't sure.

It's been a joy to watch.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Part of the problem when they make game altering calls (ie taking away a TD, big yardage play, or a turnover), is that the other team can commit a penalty on a huge play and it goes unnoticed. By leaving the flags in their pocket, there’s no bias, the game isn’t tilted in one team’s favor. 
Will this carry over to the league next year? Or are the playoffs special circumstances?

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m all for not seeing the refs all game but in the long run this would just end up favoring or incentivizing teams that/to cheat. Or, at least those that play up against the rule book as much as possible. If the games are fun but KC gets away with holding every down. Not sure that’s more enjoyable to me.

Edited by Best Williams Available
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

I've said this from the beginning. Only call blatant penalties. Keep the average of total penalties per game around 7-9. Less is more when it comes to refereeing. A much better flow is a much better product. 

It seems so simple and obvious.

Yet somehow, some drone in the league's front office was watching TMZ and decided that more officiating drama would make better football. 

And a bunch of other dorks listened to him. :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I was very heartened when they picked up that "defenseless receiver" flag in the Rams vs 49ers game. It was a great, clean hit by the defender.

Shoulder to shoulder, textbook hit. There shouldn’t be any “he hit me too hard” flags like there have been. Marv’s “over-officious jerks” wouldn’t fly in this postseason 😂

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I posted data a few weeks back about the number of calls per game pre and post our Jacksonville game which was an abomination of officiating.  Flags per game have declined.  Someone got a memo.

They seem to have fallen off a cliff this post season and it's been awesome - on the last Davis TD no one was even thinking "but wait is there a flag??"

Egregious calls only - it's ok to think for a second before instantly throwing the flag.  And to discuss with the other officials if you aren't sure.

I was  on the last Davis catch, just habit as a Bills fan

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Part of the problem when they make game altering calls (ie taking away a TD, big yardage play, or a turnover), is that the other team can commit a penalty on a huge play and it goes unnoticed. By leaving the flags in their pocket, there’s no bias, the game isn’t tilted in one team’s favor. 
Will this carry over to the league next year? Or are the playoffs special circumstances?

They did it all last season ( 2020) and scoring was up across the board. Rating were too. This year they started with Offensive holding and taunting as “ points of emphasis”. Flag fests resulted. For these playoffs they seem to have reverted to the old playoffs. Flag happy Refs like Boger were cut off from playoff games. Result= more enjoyable product on the field. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

My god, you’re right. I hadn’t even noticed until you said that, and I’m one of the worst at not celebrating until I’m sure there are no flags…

1 hour ago, Best Williams Available said:

I’m all for not seeing the refs all game but in the long run this would just end up favoring or incentivizing teams that/to cheat. Or, at least those that play up against the rule book as much as possible. If the games are fun but KC gets away with holding every down. Not sure that’s more enjoyable to me.

I did see a blatant hold by KC late on a running play. Hands on the outside of the shoulder pads. The CIN defender flailed his arms a bit to no avail. I had no issues with the way the Bills game was called though. Maybe saw one PI that they missed. 

• Like (+1) 2

Part of the explanation is that the teams that made the playoffs are good teams, and during the playoffs they played their best games. Good teams playing well commit fewer penalties.

A lot of penalties come about through lack of focus and attention. The number of pre-snap penalties in particular was WAAAY down during the playoffs, and I think that's because everyone was doing their very best.  

If the officials are just letting the players play, and not calling the minor stuff, teams will get an unfair advantage.  The Bengals had one play on offense where they had nine men on the line of scrimmage.  That's illegal and it helped the Bengals on that play, but the refs either didn't notice or chose not to flag it.  That's just wrong.  

I don't care if there's a hundred flags, as long as they're accurate.  Some teams (coughBuccsChiefsPatscough) are known for having their DBs water ski receivers down the field, among other things.  That's not fun to me.  The Chiefs had multiple big plays and points swung in their favor by uncalled obvious penalties.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.