How did the Bengals do it?

Awwufelloff

2 hours ago, Heitz said:

Cinci got home in the second half - they were close in the first, but Mahomes is slippery.  After that missed TD and into the second half Mahomes was just - rush was on him, head was not in the game.

As has been said we need a disruptive pass rusher, don't have that stud right now. :beer: 

It was the 8 man coverage imo like the previous poster mentioned…they spied mahomes too and kept him scrambling straight backwards.  Mahomes had absolutely all day to throw most plays but he seemed rattled by that unexpected look 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Bengals coaches coached a better game against the Chiefs (well, a better half) than the Bills did this month. The Bills staff was excellent in KC in October.

The Bengals coaches are not better than ours in general. If only you guys heard Bengals fans conversations through much of the last few years. They did not think highly of their own staff until this little run. 

They might become established as being better than Sean and his guys, but the Chiefs blew their wad against us and hit a wall. Mahomes went from the best game of his career to one of the worst. The Bengals benefited greatly from this, it was obvious that both the Chiefs and their fans are still spent from last Sunday. The stadium was half as loud as it was last weekend. 

The doomer absolutism on this board is so stupid 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, arcane said:

The Bengals coaches coached a better game against the Chiefs (well, a better half) than the Bills did this month. The Bills staff was excellent in KC in October.

The Bengals coaches are not better than ours in general. If only you guys heard Bengals fans conversations through much of the last few years. They did not think highly of their own staff until this little run. 

They might become established as being better than Sean and his guys, but the Chiefs blew their wad against us and hit a wall. Mahomes went from the best game of his career to one of the worst. The Bengals benefited greatly from this, it was obvious that both the Chiefs and their fans are still spent from last Sunday. The stadium was half as loud as it was last weekend. 

Bills coaches were awful for 13 seconds, otherwise that games a win. Would it be nice to beat em by 20 again? Sure, but Tre White May have changed some of their ideas. Bengals got to OT and made a play. The Bills game should have ended in regulation with even a decent strategy and execution. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/30/2022 at 9:25 PM, Awwufelloff said:

How did the Bengals hold the Chiefs to 3 pts after halftime which included OT in which KC won the toss? How were they able to do something we couldn't?

Bills prove it hurts to miss tackle after tackle after tackle.  Every part of our defense made errors that were inexcusable and lead o huge chunk plays. D line failed to contain almost the entire game. And oh yeah, the Bengals D line actually contained with 3 rushing and still got 3 sacks that I saw. We left the field with 0.  Edmunds and Milano were often run thru and over or were beaten in coverage, as Milano was beaten for the walk off TD.   Our entire D backfield took terrible angles and were almost  intimidated by Hill; and who can forget Wallace getting left in the dust at one point along with all his fellow Dbs, and he wasn’t done as he made sure ( along with poyer) to stand still and avoid pressing Kelce on the drive resulting in the tying FG with 13 seconds left.  Add a huge punt return, with the punter making the saving tackle ( this was caused by fatigue from a penalty resulting in having to cover TWO PUNTS quickly,) and top it off with the cherry being no coach telling the kicker about the Squibb kick he was supposed to do to force Kc to burn time!  

When you actually read thru all that, it was consistent with a total collapse and basically a comedy of errors on defense.  It was atrocious , especially compared to seeing it was possible for a team to hold Hill to 0 yards in the second half and hold Kc to 3 points for an entire half and OT! We were living with past mistakes and beatings and looking at it now, we were intimidated and we kept ALLOWING KC to run free ( both with the run and pass game) and our D FAILED TO MAKE ANY SIGNIFICANT PLAYS AND I DONT REMEMBER OUR DB’s making any game CHANGING INTS IN OT!  We just took the beating looking exhausted all the way down the field as Mahomes drove them to the winning TD.  We were done with losing the coin flip while Cincy actually had an effective D plan and beat the trend of 10/11 playoff teams winning the flip and then the game!    Who knew you could actually expect your D to make plays against Mahomes and KC!?  

We showed up on O , but our D was a huge failure and goes to show all the hoopla about the “ stats” and “ D rankings”, and being the #1 D was a façade !  We saw this in most of our losses , the inconsistency of play , and our 0-6 record In one possession games. This is more evidence that Frazier and his soft coverages are just a great way to continue to lose to  Mahomes in the future if we can’t sack QB’s and don’t hit / press receivers off the line. I hope McD learned today and either they finally hit Qbs and have the talent to press receivers , and have a creative coordinator who can make game day adjustments , or we will keep staying home while a. second year QB was able to make it to the Super Bowl. Choices matter!  

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Our CBs were exposed and the lack of speed of our Safteies caught up with them.

Facts. We have one sub 4.5 CB (Tre White), and he was missing in that game. Expecting a 4.5 Jackson and a 4.6 Wallace to keep up with KC’s speed at WR was a massive oversight. This team needs to add physical talent to the secondary if they expect to compete with top contenders. 

3 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

8 man coverage. Mahomes was something like 5 for 17 with 57 yards and an INT against that coverage. The Bengals adjusted at halftime, something Frazier is seemingly allergic to. 

Yea they rushed 3 & dropped everyone back in coverage so Mahomes could pick them apart & even if he had 7 seconds in the pocket, nobody was open, eventually that O-line is going to breakdown. Wished we would that did that instead of playing prevent D 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I've had enough of Frazier I think.

The problem is he ain't gonna be hired anywhere, and we aren't going to fire him.

Yea after last week, his name got scratch off the lists.  We’re definitely stuck with him but it’s McDermott too…Remember this is his defense. I think Frazier just call the plays but Him & McDermott gameplan together. 

Edited by Scorp83
Typo

3 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Mahomes got the yips

He had a lot of yips this year unfortunately not last week.

The Bengals should be thanking us for wearing the Chiefs out.

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The last play of the first half

That really cost them, i agree going for it but throwing the ball out in the flat was dumb, needed to be in the Endzone

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Chiefs had a similarly messy game against us in the regular season compared to what they did against the bengals today.  If they turned the ball over twice against us last week we would’ve blown them out.  

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

That really cost them, i agree going for it but throwing the ball out in the flat was dumb, needed to be in the Endzone

Mahomes lost track of how many timeouts they had…he tried to call timeout right after the play was over and they had 0

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I don’t even think it’s the yips I think he’s really uncomfortable against those 8 men in coverage looks.  We likely didn’t have the dbs to pull that off missing tre though but I bet that’s how teams go after him next year. His game really is running around in circles til hill or Kelce get open lol

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Chiefs had a similarly messy game against us in the regular season compared to what they did against the bengals today.  If they turned the ball over twice against us last week we would’ve blown them out.  

Mahomes lost track of how many timeouts they had…he tried to call timeout right after the play was over and they had 0

Gets to be habit for them. Plus if recall years ago a team called a timeout and got it when then didn't have one so ended up with 4 timeouts. I think they won too, cant remember who or when.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Gets to be habit for them. Plus if recall years ago a team called a timeout and got it when then didn't have one so ended up with 4 timeouts. I think they won too, cant remember who or when.

Wow that’s even more embarrassing if he knew and threw that pass anyway I think lol just awful decisions by him the whole second down…diving out of bounds and saving the bengals timeouts like what was he doing.  Not just errant passes but big time mental mistakes 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Heitz said:

Cinci got home in the second half - they were close in the first, but Mahomes is slippery.  After that missed TD and into the second half Mahomes was just - rush was on him, head was not in the game.

As has been said we need a disruptive pass rusher, don't have that stud right now. :beer: 

Damn shame we didn’t go after Hendrickson last season. He’s that closer rusher we lack. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I just hope some fans stop talking about Milano/Poyer/Hyde as difference makers because they are not,  all will have 10 million dollar cap numbers. Hyde made a excellent interception on Jones but what else did those 3 do in these playoffs especially against Chiefs? Missed tackles and not big plays is what I saw

Until our linebackers are both replaced we will never be able to put the pressure needed on the QB in critical games.  Our lack of LB play and pressure has been a detriment to this team for 4 years.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've seen Taylor make bad in game decisions 

Dont turn this into a McDermott is a weakness 

We'd be 20 years Into a drought without him ...he absolutely gets better yearly

If only we can give McD some sleeping pills at halftime during next seasons conference finals game, then we would have a real shot !

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Not sure if he mentally fell apart but was pressing too hard and started making errors.

Maybe the Bengals made him uncomfortable with that 4 man rush and 1 high safety looks . Plus they were mixing up coverage brilliantly. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I agree the end of the first half rattled Mahomes.

Second half he missed simple swing passes and out patterns, he resorted to scrambling backwards on a few ill advised pass attempts.  He floated balls over guys heads.

The Bengals made him super uncomfortable after halftime. Credit to them.  Buffalo was never able to do that to Mahomes, and our D plays soft ass coverages giving them so much respect. 

U know when McD said we’ll learn from this well I hope he’s taking notes. U beat the Chiefs with action not inaction.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It was the 8 man coverage imo like the previous poster mentioned…they spied mahomes too and kept him scrambling straight backwards.  Mahomes had absolutely all day to throw most plays but he seemed rattled by that unexpected look 

I definitely agree! That was the amazing part, they gave him all day to throw…but when you rush 3 & drop 8 in coverage… the thing is….you gotta hard that coverage & the 3 rushing…can’t give up, they have to provide pressure. Belichick did something similar with Manning in the playoffs one year. Again, wished we thought of it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.