How did the Bengals do it?

Awwufelloff

24 minutes ago, Heitz said:

About those adjustments everyone keeps talking about:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/30/patrick-mahomes-you-cant-go-up-21-3-and-lose-thats-on-me/

Their guys just started getting home.  Ours, well, did not...

But, but, first round D line picks blah blah blah…..Oliver deserves big money Yada yada, Deep rotation on line to keep em fresh and platooning …… 

Our number one D wasn’t all that and smoke and mirrors doesn’t work against smart players and coaches. Especially when your coaches roll out bonehead 101 prevent schemes repeatedly without adjusting 👿

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

But we have McMeathead, who is one hell of a clapper, from what I hear...gotta be worth something, right? 😉

Yup, that's what we're stuck with for now. 

I just wonder what the people who say he's still learning the job think of a guy like Zac Taylor that doesn't need over 5 years of head coaching experience to understand how to make quality in-game decisions. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

But, but, first round D line picks blah blah blah…..Oliver deserves big money Yada yada, Deep rotation on line to keep em fresh and platooning …… 

Our number one D wasn’t all that and smoke and mirrors doesn’t work against smart players and coaches. Especially when your coaches roll out bonehead 101 prevent schemes repeatedly without adjusting 👿

Oliver isn't the problem in this scenario. He gets up the middle, but our ends, specifically the right side, are MIA. On the Mahomes TD run Hughes cut inside and got embarrassed on a pumpfake. Contain has been an issue in Buffalo for a long time now. 

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Oliver isn't the problem in this scenario. He gets up the middle, but our ends, specifically the right side, are MIA. On the Mahomes TD run Hughes cut inside and got embarrassed on a pumpfake. Contain has been an issue in Buffalo for a long time now. 

Let's re-hash the "Maybe we got Shaq Lawson" narrative... 

In all honesty, he would have been a boon against Mahomes.

None of us armchair GM's know the money and contract side of things, but 20/20 hindsight has Lawson looking good against Mahomes.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, ganesh said:

13 seconds

This is true.  Our CBs were exposed and the lack of speed of our Safteies caught up with them.

I just hope some fans stop talking about Milano/Poyer/Hyde as difference makers because they are not,  all will have 10 million dollar cap numbers. Hyde made a excellent interception on Jones but what else did those 3 do in these playoffs especially against Chiefs? Missed tackles and not big plays is what I saw

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think a lot of what happened today was the Chiefs got up big earlier. Pat was feelin' himself. Just like in the early season, he was feelin' himself and got sloppy. I think his hard work during the season went down the shitter when Patty started feeling himself. He didn't have that opportunity when the Bills are there matching him score for score. Just my feeling.

Well, that and the fact that McDermott's awesome defensive line rotation is bull#### and that besides maybe Ed Oliver, we don't have a single guy even approaching game wrecker status on the line. But just wait, with the 25th pick we will pick another guy who can be inactive for four or five games and/or make three impact plays all season. Yay.

• Like (+1) 1

They drafted offensive weapons, built the D in FA and ignored the OL. They lost the trenches all season, but overcame that. They gave up 9 sacks last weeks. Until the last few weeks, everyone in Cincinnati wanted to run Zach Taylor out of town on a rail so all those on here talking about coaching are missing the point. The Bengals are on a run of luck. They should have lost in Nashville if not for a lucky bounce and caught the Chiefs after an epic game against us. If the Raiders had a QB they should lost that game too. I live here and no one saw this coming. This is a weird league. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Yup, that's what we're stuck with for now. 

I just wonder what the people who say he's still learning the job think of a guy like Zac Taylor that doesn't need over 5 years of head coaching experience to understand how to make quality in-game decisions. 

I've seen Taylor make bad in game decisions 

Dont turn this into a McDermott is a weakness 

We'd be 20 years Into a drought without him ...he absolutely gets better yearly

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The last play of the first half

Bingo.  Amazing they got nothing out of that.

Mahomes threw that pick and the game turned.  He was not throwing the ball well at all after that.  Maybe he got hurt or something.  He wasn't right.  Maybe the team was in letdown mode after climbing the mountain last week.  

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Its not complicated to me.  

Our entire defensive effort was basically pass rushers flying off the edge with no rhyme or reason and either getting looped out of the play or diving at Mahomes feet, linebackers who were - as usual - doing something that isn’t quantifiable to the average fan apparently, and cornerbacks playing off ball all game to hide their lack of speed/talent. 

Soft D cannot win in playoffs long term. They contained Mahomes, not a speed rush.  Inside pressure, sticky off the line in coverage.   Mahomes is a rhythm passer. He needs to warm up, then gets hot quickly.   Recipe for disaster against Mahomes.  Speed rush with soft coverage letting him get in his groove. Cinci had 3-4 stops mid game taking him out of his rhythm. 

A steaky player.  In basketball A 3 point shooter may miss his first 5 then hit 10 straight.  Once he hits 1-2 you may be in trouble. You need to disrupt his rhythm….

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, since79 said:

Soft D cannot win in playoffs long term. They contained Mahomes, not a speed rush.  Inside pressure, sticky off the line in coverage.   Mahomes is a rhythm passer. He needs to warm up, then gets hot quickly.   Recipe for disaster against Mahomes.  Speed rush with soft coverage letting him get in his groove. Cinci had 3-4 stops mid game taking him out of his rhythm. 

A steaky player.  In basketball A 3 point shooter may miss his first 5 then hit 10 straight.  Once he hits 1-2 you may be in trouble. You need to disrupt his rhythm….

You are correct that they don’t have a speed rusher like Henrickson, but the Bills pressure rate was consistent with CIN.  The difference is that Cincy was able to bring down Mahomes and contained him so he couldn’t scramble.  Mahomes rushed for 70 yards against Buffalo.  He had 19 today.  

The Bills were flying after Mahomes but he was able to do enough to avoid them or broke free.  That was the difference.

The other difference was that Mahomes just wasn’t as sharp as he was last week

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.