Allen is better

george c

I'd entertain the thought of Allen being the best sometime this year, but I need to see something first....

For him to have a more consistent year.  Mahomes had a couple games this year that were 'average', but leading up to this year, how many games did he play where he wan't good to great? Hardly any.  Allen needs to do that.

Allen at his very best is just as good as Mahomes at his very best....just as good as pretty much anyone at their best. The issue keeping Allen from being 'the best' is my mind is...he isn't at 'his best' as often as some of the other top guys.  He's getting there, but I want to see that MVP season where he doesn't have any 'below average' games.

Based on his performance in the two playoff games this year where he threw for 9 touchdowns, had a completion rating of over 75% and ran for 160 yards, Allen's ceiling is higher than any other QB in the league right now and maybe among the highest in NFL history.  His intangibles are also off the charts.  He's got great leadership skills, and his teammates literally are in awe of him.  In big games, he's at his best, which is the mark of a great QB.

As noted by others, he's been inconsistent.  I think some of last year's issues were due to poor offensive line play during the first half of the year and the weather didn't help.  However, during the Tampa Bay game, something clicked in, and in the second half, he took over the game just like that.  I think what changed is that he finally figured out that he can play within his talents and easily be the best player on the field.

Over the next several years, he's going to have to gradually dial back the running, or his career will be shorter than otherwise, but that's the only red flag I can see.  While it's really fun to watch him elude linebackers and run over defensive backs, the Bills should game plan just enough planned runs to keep the defense honest.

I'm a fan, and I try not to get too excited and remain objective, but objectively, he's really that good. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/1/2022 at 4:42 AM, prissythecat said:

Football is a team sport so saying that one QB is better than others is meaningless in isolation .  Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are/were arguably better QBs than Tom Brady if you just look at pure passing stats .  But Tom Brady has twice as many Super Bowl wins as the two of them combined . Why is that ?  Because the Pats and Bucs had much better teams around Brady. 

Why is that? Because the Pats and Brady constantly cheated. 🙄

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Holy click bait! 

Matt Stafford as the third best QB in the NFL?  He is arguably only the third best QB in his own division! 

Has a great future ahead of him as a beat cop, directing traffic at an accident scene.

"Nothing to see here...move along..."

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/19/2022 at 11:21 AM, mjd1001 said:

I'd entertain the thought of Allen being the best sometime this year, but I need to see something first....

For him to have a more consistent year.  Mahomes had a couple games this year that were 'average', but leading up to this year, how many games did he play where he wan't good to great? Hardly any.  Allen needs to do that.

Allen at his very best is just as good as Mahomes at his very best....just as good as pretty much anyone at their best. The issue keeping Allen from being 'the best' is my mind is...he isn't at 'his best' as often as some of the other top guys.  He's getting there, but I want to see that MVP season where he doesn't have any 'below average' games.

I tend to agree with you on Josh being inconsistent, but there's a few things out of his control that he has to deal with that, we as fans, have to remember played into some of his struggles.

First and foremost weather. Most of the home games this year either had strong winds, rain(some downpours) or cold temps(some games had a combination of bad weather). Been a fan since the late 70s and this was the worst weather for home games that I can remember in a season. Many of the other top QBs played in pretty good to great weather this year. His QB Rating was 14 points higher on the road this year, completion percentage was 7.3 points higher and a 1.5 ypa higher on the road.

Second thing is talent on the offensive side of the ball. Of the young QBs(Allen, Mahomes, Burrow & Herbert) which team's skill position players would you rank last? For me, I love the Bills, but I would take them last and I don't think it's close. I think it's the biggest reason why Josh has finished 1st, in each of the last 2 years, at percentage of the team's total yards & TDs.

Lastly saying Mahomes had a few "average" games is true as long as you also include, in a separate count, his below average games and yes he had several of them. QB Rating isn't everything, but when you're way below say what Josh finished the year with(Ranked 16th this year at 92.2) then they're not average games, they're below average. Mahomes had a game with a 57.2 QB Rating, another with a 62.7 rating & 4 more between a 70.9 - 74.8 rating.

Like I said I know QB Rating isn't the end all be all, but I think it's safe to say a sub 75 rating for a game is indeed well below average. FYI just looked it up and the average QB Rating this year was 90.8

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2022 at 9:51 PM, mjd1001 said:

I think this is a perception that has been generated by the national media.  They are holding Allen to a different standard than their other darling QBs.   The moment Allen has a bad game, they bring him down severely, but are not as much harsh to Mahomes and others.   There are many in the media including former HOF QBs who don't want to eat their crow for what they said in the draft.   

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/30/2022 at 6:55 PM, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Yeah not going there yet.

Mahomes had his first awful playoff game.

But he's been to 4 straight title games

2 SB appearance

1 SB win (MVP)

1 NFL MVP

Yeah well you can go where ever you want , 

and with everything you just said does

( as of TODAY) Allen still can be better , 

On 1/30/2022 at 7:11 PM, ArtVandalay said:

THE DEFENSE??!!!??? HAHAHAHA

oh yeah, that's what cost us the game... the defense. 

And what did ??? 

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-62-starting-qbs-of-the-2021-nfl-season

A much better list from a much better source.

Ranking only QBs who started games this past season.

Long story short:

1. Brady

2. Rogers

3. Allen

Jets QBs dont even break the Top 40, lol

Rat #7, that's about right. 2019 was a  long time ago.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2022 at 12:42 PM, prissythecat said:

Football is a team sport so saying that one QB is better than others is meaningless in isolation .  Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are/were arguably better QBs than Tom Brady if you just look at pure passing stats .  But Tom Brady has twice as many Super Bowl wins as the two of them combined . Why is that ?  Because the Pats and Bucs had much better teams around Brady. 

Ok let's not act like Manning and Rodgers never had good teams around them. They just constantly fall short so people make up new excuses  to make them look better than they are. For instance the excuse for Rodgers last year was the defense, this year it was special teams, even when the offense falling short is the common denominator in both losses. And Brady has passed Manning in volume stats and exceeds his efficiency stats with far less INTs. 

As for Mahomes vs Allen, whether we like it or not, Mahomes absolutely has the Brady-esque factor that guys like Manning, Rodgers and Brees didn't. Time will tell if Josh is the same guy who is able to overcome the team's shortcomings and will his team to victory anyway. He has come so close twice, just didn't get there yet. I have really high hopes he will get there. 

22 minutes ago, MafiaMio said:

Ok let's not act like Manning and Rodgers never had good teams around them. They just constantly fall short so people make up new excuses  to make them look better than they are. For instance the excuse for Rodgers last year was the defense, this year it was special teams, even when the offense falling short is the common denominator in both losses. And Brady has passed Manning in volume stats and exceeds his efficiency stats with far less INTs. 

As for Mahomes vs Allen, whether we like it or not, Mahomes absolutely has the Brady-esque factor that guys like Manning, Rodgers and Brees didn't. Time will tell if Josh is the same guy who is able to overcome the team's shortcomings and will his team to victory anyway. He has come so close twice, just didn't get there yet. I have really high hopes he will get there. 

To the bolded....Brady beat Peyton in volume stats purely because he played in 52 more games due to Peyton's neck injury cutting his career short. Peyton had a higher completion percentage, yards per attempt, TD percentage and yards per game. Meanwhile Brady had a slightly higher QB Rating and a lower interception percentage. Peyton threw for 55 TDs in his 15th season, more than Brady ever threw in a year.   

Peyton was the better QB, Brady had better teams, a better coach and some cheating to help his cause. He also had more stability playing for the same head coach(considered by many as the best of all-time) for 18 years of his 20 year career and had Josh McDaniels for all but 3 seasons from 2004 - 2019. Same goes with the Mahomes vs Allen matchup, Mahomes has better weapons and a better coach. Mahomes had every advantage in their last matchup. Swap QBs for that game and Josh wins by double digits.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:53 PM, Putin said:

Yeah well you can go where ever you want , 

and with everything you just said does

( as of TODAY) Allen still can be better , 

And what did ??? 

Did you watch? The coaching staff blew it.  Didn't even give the defense a chance at the end of the game.  All time great coaching collapse that will be talked about for years to come. McMentalmidget blew it.

22 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

To the bolded....Brady beat Peyton in volume stats purely because he played in 52 more games due to Peyton's neck injury cutting his career short. Peyton had a higher completion percentage, yards per attempt, TD percentage and yards per game. Meanwhile Brady had a slightly higher QB Rating and a lower interception percentage. Peyton threw for 55 TDs in his 15th season, more than Brady ever threw in a year.   

Peyton was the better QB, Brady had better teams, a better coach and some cheating to help his cause. He also had more stability playing for the same head coach(considered by many as the best of all-time) for 18 years of his 20 year career and had Josh McDaniels for all but 3 seasons from 2004 - 2019. Same goes with the Mahomes vs Allen matchup, Mahomes has better weapons and a better coach. Mahomes had every advantage in their last matchup. Swap QBs for that game and Josh wins by double digits.

Manning was never as good in the playoffs as he was in the regular season. So Brady having better stats was not a volume thing, it was because Manning failed alot in the playoffs. And his Colts teams average 10 plus wins most of the times Manning was there...

Manning and Rodgers are similar. They both despite their talent fail in the playoffs more than they succeeded 

Edited by Ghost_002!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.