Jim Harbaugh expected to take Dolphins job over Minnesota. (Update) Mike McDaniel now is the possible front runner for Miami

BuffaloBills1998

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think any Ohio state fan thinks he has been successful. That is why we want him to stay. I think it depends on how one defines success, and that bar has gotten lower and lower at Michigan. He took a giant pay cut last year because he had not been close to what was expected when he was hired - 0-6 vs Ohio state, zero big ten titles. Terrible record vs ranked teams. Couldnt even  beat sparty on the regular. He wanted to leave and go back to the nfl last year but the nfl didn’t want him. This year he finally got it done vs Ohio state, finally won the conference, finally made the playoffs. This is the year he can leave and feel like he accomplished something. But he has no formula for sustained success. His DC was there one year and went back to his brother in the nfl. His DL coach took a lateral move. And unfortunately recruiting is a huge part of the job and if you can’t compete there you can’t compete.  My point about Hoke was that he was more competitive than Harbaugh vs Ohio state and a better recruiter. Overall w-L in college is fairly meaningless as it includes a lot of bad teams. It only matters what coaches consistently do against ranked opponents, rivals, conference titles, playoffs. Or at least it should at a place like Michigan. 

Well, Michigan has the 8th ranked recruiting class for 2022, although they're a fair bit behind the leaders in terms of 5-stars (the usual crew and Texas A & M). College recruiting has come to resemble the tech industry -- with the nationalization of recruiting, a small group of 4-5 schools just suck up a hugely disproportionate share of the top talent. 8th may sound good -- and it is -- but it doesn't reveal how huge the disparity is between the top dogs and the rest.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

I thought he did fine at Michigan. My main concern with Harbaugh is the coaching staff that he brings with him.

Unless Vic Fangio gets a HC job, he'll be there as DC. Harbaugh is connected to a lot of good assistants. So I think that's a problem. 

Josh Allen tore Fangio's Denver defense a new one last season.  

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

If I were him and looking for a good landing spot in the NFL... I would absolutely have desired the Vikings' job.  That division is ripe for the taking, and by extension, the NFC's balance of power is up for grabs in the near and mid-term.  

The AFC is an absolute gauntlet.  AFC East, you need to find a formula to top a 25 year old Josh Allen, and the turd that wont flush Bill belichick.  After that, there are like 8 up and coming teams, Broncos could get Rodgers, and even the stinky teams still have potential at QB.  

Vikings GM was on the staff in SF when Harbaugh was there. Plus the Vikings can clear the cap space for Rodgers if they find someone to trade for Cousins ($35 million owed in salary which considering the recent extensions is about market value for him). Pretty sure Rodgers would love to play GB twice a year.

17 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Took over for a franchise that didn't have a winning record in 9 years...

In 4 seasons he had:

.695 record in the regular season

3 conference Chamionship appearances with one that went to the super bowl where his team fell short to a white hot Joe Flacco that had a historic postseason.  

He did this with Alex Smith and Kaepernick at QB.

He's also won double the challenges of McD in 1 less season. 

Harbaugh is a great coach, with an outstanding track record of taking mediocre QBs very far.  People mocking him have their heads in the sand, especially in comparison to McDermott. 

We want Miami to go after another rookie coach coordinator like Sparano, Philbin, Gase, Flores... not a guy like Harbaugh.

No, Harbaugh is not a bad coach. He was a good coach in SF. At the same time it's not like Miami is instantly a contender with him at the helm. The question will be can he succeed with Tua? In SF he had two very athletic QB's in Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. He also had Frank Gore in his prime. The offense he ran has since had a blueprint laid out for defending it. So what offense is he going to run? Is he going to run the Andrew Luck style of offense from Stanford or the gimmicky SF 49ers offense he ran before. Miami doesn't have an Andrew Luck. They also still need OL help and a couple of decent RB's for that SF offense. Personally, I believe it will take him a couple of years to get the offense set up the way he wants it. By then the defense will be a couple of years older and they'll be having to make some personnel decisions on that side of the ball. Then he may be trying to find a Franchise QB as well. There are a lot of determining factors and he's not stepping into the same old AFCE from two or three years ago. NE is still solid and now we are right on the cusp of having a team winning it all. I'm not scared of Harbaugh by any means. 

• Like (+1) 1

Harbaugh is a legend in his own mind. He finally beat OSU this year in a home game with a pretty experienced bunch that he finally got resultswith vs a strong but young team. His Michigan teams did not develop their players very well and that was completely on Harbaugh  and his coaching staff. He does not worry me in Miami. The Bills have got to stop being their own worst enemies. I worry more about them beating themselves - 13 seconds - than Harbaugh making a big difference in Miami. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, Michigan has the 8th ranked recruiting class for 2022, although they're a fair bit behind the leaders in terms of 5-stars (the usual crew and Texas A & M). College recruiting has come to resemble the tech industry -- with the nationalization of recruiting, a small group of 4-5 schools just suck up a hugely disproportionate share of the top talent. 8th may sound good -- and it is -- but it doesn't reveal how huge the disparity is between the top dogs and the rest.  

Agreed, maybe 5-6 teams start the college football season with a legit chance at a title. Of course that's not to say you won't have a year where an inferior team finds a way.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That’s because the rankings reflect # of signees over average star rating. They signed 23 kids so far. Their avg star rating is less than Missouri. They’ve never been terrible at recruiting but just not good enough like you said. Bigger issue is player development once they get on. campus. His staff was not aligned well. He’s just a better fit in the nfl imo. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, H2o said:

No, Harbaugh is not a bad coach. He was a good coach in SF. At the same time it's not like Miami is instantly a contender with him at the helm. The question will be can he succeed with Tua? In SF he had two very athletic QB's in Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. He also had Frank Gore in his prime. The offense he ran has since had a blueprint laid out for defending it. So what offense is he going to run? Is he going to run the Andrew Luck style of offense from Stanford or the gimmicky SF 49ers offense he ran before. Miami doesn't have an Andrew Luck. They also still need OL help and a couple of decent RB's for that SF offense. Personally, I believe it will take him a couple of years to get the offense set up the way he wants it. By then the defense will be a couple of years older and they'll be having to make some personnel decisions on that side of the ball. Then he may be trying to find a Franchise QB as well. There are a lot of determining factors and he's not stepping into the same old AFCE from two or three years ago. NE is still solid and now we are right on the cusp of having a team winning it all. I'm not scared of Harbaugh by any means. 

He will kick Tua to the curb by October 

14 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Minnesota is where he should go. These guys need to think strategically.

If you want to win go to the NFC. 

The newest date announced on Jim Harbaugh’s “Anywhere But Ann Arbor” tour.

• Haha (+1) 1

I really hope I cover all of them but I'm sure you guys will let me know if I forget one of them if I do.

That being said,  He's travelling on signing day?  That's going to hurt all the signees SELF OF STEAM.  I COULD CARE LESS though.  His career is GROUND UP AND IN THE FREEZER if you ask me.  Treats players like they are still 20 years old and doesn't care if THERE happy or not.  All I can say is if he does take the job in Miami or Minny, YOUR AND IDIOT.

Let me know which ones I missed.

• Haha (+1) 1

• BuffaloBills1998 changed the title to Jim Harbaugh expected to take Dolphins job over Minnesota. (Update) Mike McDaniel now is the possible front runner for Miami

Jeebus, I can't keep up.  I thought the Raiders hired Mike McDaniel

This is the biggest game of coach-search musical chairs I've ever seen.

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Mike McDaniel? Really?

Poor Eric Bienemy is never getting a HC job... Florio's going to be smashing those keys once this cycle ends and no HC job for EB. 

I hate to say this, but the best thing for Eric Bienemy, if he truly wants a head coaching job, would be to take a lateral move and become OC under a known defensive-minded HC.

Part of his problem is that he's perceived (rightly or wrongly) as Andy Reid's dingleberry. 

The fact that Matt Nagy ultimately failed in Chicago and didn't develop his QB, and that Doug Pederson flamed out in Philly after an ugly denoument with Carson Wentz  doesn't help his cause, even though Pederson did win a Superbowl first.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jeebus, I can't keep up.  I thought the Raiders hired Mike McDaniel

This is the biggest game of coach-search musical chairs I've ever seen.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Mike McDaniel is the 34 year old OC of the 49ers.

19 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Unless he can get a top QB to come and play like one, Michigan is stuck where it is.

• Agree 1