Dawson Knox - he improved greatly, but was it enough? 2022 is his contract year

Hapless Bills Fan

10 hours ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Not sure why so many are placing such a huge importance on the #2 TE to the point where they want to spend to get one.

This offense features the slot role more so than 2 TE's going over the middle.

I can see it in the red zone or run/pass out of the 12 formation but would try that with a late draft pick or JAG at the tail of FA.

I'd think the offense needs to continually evolve. Players will come and go as that's the nature of the biz. Scheme may change because of this.

Ian Thomas of the Panthers has been mentioned a bunch of times here by others. I think he is a really good number 2 tight ed to pair with Knox. There was also a lot of smoke from us around Thomas during pre-draft times. I like Tommy Sweeney, but the fact that he was a frequent healthy scratch at the end there is a worrisome. 

Gerald Everett was mentioned in the thread. He did a lot of good things fr the Rams as their number two. If we are going to see some Rams wrinkles courtesy of Kromer, then he could make some sense as well. 

Knox is the clear 1. 

Just now, aceman_16 said:

In addition to his catching qstats I would mix in his win rates as a blocker. They are very good in relation to other TEs. He is a very good overall TE.

I was actually looking for this type of information.  Josh Allen says he's the best blocking TE in football, though of course Josh will always talk up his guys.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ian Thomas of the Panthers has been mentioned a bunch of times here by others. I think he is a really good number 2 tight ed to pair with Knox. There was also a lot of smoke from us around Thomas during pre-draft times. I like Tommy Sweeney, but the fact that he was a frequent healthy scratch at the end there is a worrisome. 

Gerald Everett was mentioned in the thread. He did a lot of good things fr the Rams as their number two. If we are going to see some Rams wrinkles courtesy of Kromer, then he could make some sense as well. 

Knox is the clear 1. 

It's more than worrisome.  It's basically saying "he couldn't contribute enough in the short passing game to counteract his deficiencies as a blocker". 

He basically didn't see an offensive snap after Week 15, and was also inactive Week 14.  So inactive 4 of the last 5 games.  He had no receptions and only 2 targets after Week 9.

He doesn't play ST either.  He's gone.

• Like (+1) 1

I havent read all 10 pages but I think OP is discounting how impressive it is that Knox was able to increase his snap count significantly (increased confidence in his ability by the coaches) while also improving receiving stats. Its like the difference between being an off-the-bench spot up shooter and a ball handler volume shooter but having a better 3 point %.

The fact that hes on the field more means they trust him blocking, instead of having to bring in Lee Smith. Leaving him on the field more means uncertainty by the defense if hes out there for runs and passes. This is all stuff that wont show up in his personal stats.

Knox absolutely earns his contract if he repeats in 2022

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jletha said:

I havent read all 10 pages but I think OP is discounting how impressive it is that Knox was able to increase his snap count significantly (increased confidence in his ability by the coaches) while also improving receiving stats. Its like the difference between being an off-the-bench spot up shooter and a ball handler volume shooter but having a better 3 point %.

The fact that hes on the field more means they trust him blocking, instead of having to bring in Lee Smith. Leaving him on the field more means uncertainty by the defense if hes out there for runs and passes. This is all stuff that wont show up in his personal stats.

Knox absolutely earns his contract if he repeats in 2022

Agree with all you said up until the last line.  I've seen enough and I hope the FO has as well.  You lock Knox up this season.  Do not let him hit Free Agency.  Pay him respectable, the market rate.  Give him Schultz/Tonyan money along w signing bonus or guarantee and do it early. 

Knox is a poster child for sign your own.  He's worked hard, culture guy.  Emerging talent.  Pay him.  Pay him now.  A secondary advantage of getting a draft pick that works out is the ability to negotiate and sign them a year early to market rates.  The market just keeps going up, so getting them a year early is actually a bargain.  Just did it with Josh, you do it with Knox.  You give Josh/Dorsey/Brady some continuity - players for the long haul.

• Like (+1) 1

Knox’s trajectory has been up consistently from his rookie campaign . He was good enough to start his 1st season, though blocking was often suspect and had very real issues with dropped balls. He came in stronger his 2nd season, notably better in blocking and had numerous Marvelous catches while still being plagued by drops through lack of concentration. This past season he took a noticeable step up in concentration and receptions, more nuanced still in blocking/shielding defenders away from ball carriers, still more chiseled and noticeably better at making difficult catches (over the shoulder/tipped balls/reaching-diving-falling) to the tune of 13 TDs!

Is he elite? I don’t know what nuance separates great from elite, but he’s established himself as our starting tight end and an electrifying player on an incredibly potent Offense.  If the underlying question in this thread is ‘do we offer him a great 2nd contract?’, I say yes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Knox was still a bit inconsistent this year, but I always lean towards keeping a player that scores TDs. Knox is our best weapon in the red zone not named Josh Allen. He was tied for the lead in most receiving TDs scored by a TE despite missing 2 games. His TDs are not easily replaceable. I'd pay him.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.