Dawson Knox - he improved greatly, but was it enough? 2022 is his contract year

Hapless Bills Fan

While I think he can still improve, I do think it was enough (not that my opinion is worth anything). You can tell that he can play at an elite level and he already has the all-time franchise TD record for tight ends.

While I’m not predicting anything, I do think that Dawson Knox can be an elite and dominating tight end in this league.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's never a convincing argument when considering a mediocre player to say "even the best in the league make mistakes".

But, since you did, in the last 3 years:

Knox 18 drops on 165 targets for 10.9%.

Kelce 20 drops on a whopping 415 targets for 4.8% (averaging as many yards per season as Knox has in career total).

Kittle 10 drops on 264 targets for 3.8%.

Yes would like to clean up the drops. Knox without a doubt a top 10 TE who is very explosive. Let’s get rid of him 😳🙄.. he made huge strides this year. And has excellent chemistry with JA. Well well above  mediocre. 

Edited by QLBillsFan

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

Yes would like to clean up the drops. Knox without a doubt a top 10 TE who is very explosive. Let’s get rid of him 😳🙄.. he made huge strides this year. And has excellent chemistry with JA. Well well about mediocre. 

he had 9 TDS. Outside of that, not top 10.  

I didn’t say get rid of him. I asked what money would a mediocre TE command …

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/hunter-henry-18983/

And when he was drafted, did you ever think he'd have 9 TDs in a season, leading all TEs?

Edited by Doc

It’s beyond the stats. He brings explosive play to the position. It would be difficult to name the TE’s after the first 5 who are more dangerous. A reasonable contract will be arrived up that factors his upside and improvement imho ..

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/hunter-henry-18983/

And when he was drafted, did you ever think he'd have 9 TDs in a season, leading all TEs?

no but so what? 

3 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

It’s beyond the stats. He brings explosive play to the position. It would be difficult to name the TE’s after the first 5 who are more dangerous. A reasonable contract will be arrived up that factors his upside and improvement imho ..

Whats dangerous

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I don’t think Knox is a top 10 tight end

You might be right. I'm trying to rattle off my top 10 list, but I'm have frozen, a bit tipsy and still giddy over the Chiefs loss. Kelce, Andrews, Kittle are the first that come to mind, then it get murky.

6 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

What do you mean what is dangerous? He’s a dangerous TE that is athletic in space and tough to deal with for a D. 

I’m sure their hometown fans think the same of Schultz, Gesicki, Eryz, Fant, Waller…

Nothing wrong with having those feelings.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

You made a big deal of it back then.

you mean when he zero in college? , lol obviously

6 hours ago, QB Bills said:

I've been a big fan of his since his rookie year. Guy is super talented as a receiver, even with the odd drop. Would be a mistake to let him leave.

Mistakes are always relative.  If, as BadOlBilz believes, he’d be wanting something like a 4 year, $40M contract, is that a good deal or a mistake?  $10M per year would mean not signing or re-signing someone else - perhaps Diggs who will eventually want a new contract.

That’s a lot of money for 587 yds per season.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mistakes are always relative.  If, as BadOlBilz believes, he’d be wanting something like a 4 year, $40M contract, is that a good deal?  $10M per year would mean not signing or re-signing someone else.  That’s a lot of money for <600 yds per season.

Yeah but that's the going rate now.  Take a look at the Hunter Henry deal and his production.

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Do you watch other TE’s?   Even Kittle, Kelce etc have drops.  Knox drastically improved that this year.  TE’s just aren’t as sure-handed all the time as WR’s.  

Diontae Johnson has games where he’s legitimately a liability.  Knox is nowhere close to that.  

Yes, keep Knox.  He’s a Top 10 TE, and is still improving. 

Er….in general TEs have a higher catch % than WR.  That’s the reason Knox is 28th in catch percentage amoung TE with a catch % of 69% that would be excellent for a WR.

the OP put out a bunch of comparisons to other TE.  The only measurable I could find by which he’s top 10 is TDs.  What are your measurables or metrics to argue he’s top-10?

• Like (+1) 1

I’m sure their hometown fans think the same of Schultz, Gesicki, Eryz, Fant, Waller…

Nothing wrong with having those feelings.

you mean when he zero in college? , lol obviously

Waller is in elite group Gki maybe Schultz solid but limited explosive plays, Fant potential but bit disappointing so far.. Ertz good but on back end.. so again firmly in top ten. My answer was to the original poster ? And I’ve answered that as stated. He’s exactly what Bills have lacked for many years and is viewed as up and coming current top 10 TE. 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

it elevates him into the  Freiermuth range.  Except he did it in his rookie year. With only 2 drops

Fmuth is not as good as Knox and it’s not close 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.