The Bills defense was lacking playmakers all season long

JohnNord

7 minutes ago, muppy said:

the defensive stars you posted were an oversight by the OP. Our Bills would have never been the team they were this year without the names you mentioned. Each one had their very tremendous individual plays within the season. OP reads to me as an attempt to explain away the Killer Instinct I THINK OP feels the Bills conceivably lack in clutch crucial moments.  ......we all want perfection I get it......one drop and a guy is then toast (Knox analogy) that part of football is frustrating for me and off topic sorry..... anyway ...how'd I do @JohnNord

Pretty good…I agree killer instinct on defense.  Also just big plays in general.  An example is the Hyde interception versus NE.  Obviously that was a tremendous play, but I mean a player that makes a key play at a big moment in game.  I thought this was lacking throughout the season

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

We missed tre white so much. He is our defensive playmaker and we didn't have him

Tre's not even the kind of "playmaker" that the OP is pining for.  He wants players with impressive stat lines in the box scores (the kind that gets you in the Pro Bowl).  He wants all or nothing route jumpers like Trevon Diggs rather than lockdown corners who QBs don't even want to test.

In Beane’s end of season press conference, he started talking about Lotulelei, then stopped himself mid sentence, so it leaves the impression that they were happy with him at the beginning of the season, but that changed towards the end of year. IMO, it would be great to get a stud DT to replace Lotulelei and get upgrades over Hughes and Addison. In last week’s game, Mahomes had a ton of time in the pocket depending on which Bills DE’s were in (noticed it a lot with Hughes/Addison). 

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

That's kind of working backwards from a conclusion of shitting on the defense. If you lose by 3 give up 4 less points is an obvious assessment and one that just puts the defense in a no win situation. There were many games this season where the Bills offense sputtered and the defense had to hold the team in the game to prevent the team from working from behind or at a huge deficit. In the Jaguars game alone the offense turned the ball over leading to field goals. 

The Steelers game and Jaguars games were let downs by the offense. There were several other games where the offense was doing jack ***** early on and the defense held the team in games. If this team didn't have a really good defense they probably would have been a wild card team. 

We didn’t stop the Steelers once when it mattered in the 2nd half. It was terrible..

19 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Tre's not even the kind of "playmaker" that the OP is pining for.  He wants players with impressive stat lines in the box scores (the kind that gets you in the Pro Bowl).  He wants all or nothing route jumpers like Trevon Diggs rather than lockdown corners who QBs don't even want to test.

No… I want players that can step up in big situations.  

25 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

Other than our secondary we currently don't have linebackers or d linemen that offenses have to game plan for. They are all very good but need someone that can change a game. We'll see if Rousseau, Epenesa or Basham take that step next year.

I think expecting Epinesa to be anything above average is a stretch.  The other two?  Maybe there’s a chance but after year 1 it’s hard to tell

25 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Is a play like the BJ Hill interception today too much to ask?

9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

No… I want players that can step up in big situations.  

Can you be any more vague?  That means literally nothing and is the cowards way of saying "I want INTs and sacks".  Players "step up big" all the time without being noticed.  That's the curse of the space eating NT, or lockdown corner the QB knows not to test, for a couple examples.

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Is a play like the BJ Hill interception today too much to ask?

That's literally a fluke play, and we get those from time to time too.  Most of the time it's just a tipped pass or knocked down.

17 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Can you be any more vague?  That means literally nothing and is the cowards way of saying "I want INTs and sacks".  Players "step up big" all the time without being noticed.  That's the curse of the space eating NT, or lockdown corner the QB knows not to test, for a couple examples.

That's literally a fluke play, and we get those from time to time too.  Most of the time it's just a tipped pass or knocked down.

So now you’ve resorted to name calling because you don’t like my opinion?  Grow up

The defense put up elite stats, and that’s inaccurate. They aren’t elite, but they are very good. Period. End of discussion.

What happened in the KC games sucks. Guess what? It wasn’t McD’s fault. Or Frazier, or Edmunds (who 31 other teams would kill for). It was EVERYONES fault. Every 11 players and the entire coaching staff is at fault for what happened.

Hyde, Poyer, Milano, Oliver. They all let that happen. Again. It sucks. 

Time to quit whining (fans, players, and coaches) and move the flark on. 

Deep breath, study the film, adjust the scheme, move on. 

Sky isn’t falling, the team doesn’t suck, the defense doesn’t suck, it’s fine. Our defense is loaded with play makers. If this ‘was the year’ we would still be playing. Someone has to win, someone has to lose. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Hyde and Poyer were elite playmakers and I would classify Milano as a borderline elite playmaker and Ed Oliver played like one as well at times. That's about 3.5 on the defense that I consider elite (and Tre is an elite player who got hurt). That's about a third of the starting defense that is playing at an elite level (3.5 out of 11). 

The defense needs a few fast and impactful players.

How many times do we need to see a high level veteran free agent/trade deadline pick up at the DE position make the difference and take over a playoff game when it matters before Beane finally makes the move on one?

How many times did you see Trey Hendrickson make a big play down the stretch of the 4th quarter and over time?

How many times will we see Von Miller make an impact tonight? Take note.

#DifferenceMakers

Edited by Billsfan4588
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Agreed...we never seem to be the ones making championship contender moves to acquire talent...disappointing to say the least...

There are literally 2 or 3 teams that treat the NFL like it's a shopping center 

The Rams and chiefs are basically the only teams that trade on the regular for big "names" 

And we made a play on diggs 2 offseasons ago 

Would I like to trade for Myles Garrett caliber yearly? Sure 

But the league really doesn't work like that

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Agreed...we never seem to be the ones making championship contender moves to acquire talent...disappointing to say the least...

You mean like all the moves and trades to get up in the draft to get Allen?  Or trading for Diggs after we but the bullet to eat a small country's GDP worth of dead cap to clear bad contracts?

People seem to forget we weren't really in a position to make many "championship moves", and now we don't need to.  Replace aging players, retain our own, and take another crack next year.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.