Gunner's 2022 Mock Draft (v3 and FINAL - p.17!!)

GunnerBill

With so many players basically set on this team, I wonder if there wouldn't be sufficient impetus to trade up in either the first, or second round (or both)? We had a very similar situation last season, and we ended up with two draft picks-- a developmental guard, and cornerback-- poached off the practice squad. I don't think anyone expected Anderson, or Wildgoose to make the 53 on draft night, but I do think they were viewed as decent developmental prospects. This team has holes-- but not a ton of them. Personally, I would hope for quality over quantity this draft.

• Agree 1

On 3/25/2022 at 1:50 PM, gonzo1105 said:

No thanks on Kinnard it’s a reach imo and he is literally Ford all over again Tackle with slow feet who needs to move inside, known for his mauling, still has slow feet gets killed on the interior. He was awful at the senior bowl. Doesn’t fit the high athletic profile their going for on the line either. 

On 3/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, GunnerBill said:

He did struggle mightily in the senior bowl practices and I agree he isn't their kind of RAS profile. But their holes at the moment are RG and CB2. I am not sure they can get out of the first two rounds with either addressed.

On 3/25/2022 at 5:25 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense gunner, but I can’t see any chance the Bills don’t take a CB in first 2 rounds unless they sign a starting caliber CB before the draft who has some speed.  Personally, I think we might take 2 in the first 4 or 5 rounds.

Problem with Kinnard in Gunner's mock is that we seem to be in no man's land in 2nd round overall, esp. if we draft WR in the 1st round. I thinkit is very likely that we'd like to draft CB, WR and IOL early, but as it follows from Gunner's mock as well as other boards I've seen there are no CBs/IOL who match value with our 2nd round pick. There might possibly be some WRs that's why I am saying that it gets much worse if we draft WR in the first round. Therefore, Zion Johnson/WR/CB or Booth (Gordon, Elam, other CB they like)/WR/IOL seems to be the way to go.

Possible solution could be moving around the board. However, as discussed above, it probably won't be easy to trade down in first, and it won't be cheap to trade up in the second - for example our 4th round pick (which I wouldn't be happy to give up anyway) can maybe get us from pick 57 to pick 52 or so, which is not much.

Or do you guys see any players who could be available at 57 and you'd be really happy to take them? There is always an option to take completely other positions, but the way it looks now I'd be shocked if they didn't try to draft IOL and CB in first 3 rounds and I also think they would love some top talent at WR.

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

@GunnerBill would you still predict a Guard in round 2?

Love your 1st pick.  Now that we brought Bates back and with the addition of Saffold and bringing Boettget OL is no longer really a need.

Sucks Breece Hall would be drafted 2 picks before our 2nd round pick in your version.

WE NEED A CORNER!!!

I was thinking about this earlier. No, it would likely point me away from guard. It went from our biggest (though not necssarily most important) hole to a mid-tier need.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 8:40 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Would just be floored if Hamilton falls that far - he may be the best player in the draft.  I know safeties aren’t good investments that high but still… someone is going to pull the trigger on him in the top six or seven I have to believe.

Agreed. If Hamilton falls that far-Beane will be working the phones to move up.

Hamilton can be a foundational piece of a winning team for a long time.

In the current NFL I think more and more  top safety's will be wearing the green dot and directing the defense,(See Derwin James/Chargers)

Especially ones as intelligent as Hamilton. Did I mention that he is a member of Mensa?

Hamilton is a unicorn and can be an incredible chess piece for our defense for the next decade.

Edited by Bag of Milk
  • Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha. It will be coming. Been landscaping my garden this week. Mock draft will drop in about 3 hours from now. 

As long as it's before 4pm we're good.

I have a Mock Draft competition and my submission is due then. 😂

• Haha (+1) 6

Okay folks here it is, my third and final mock draft of 2022..... I kind of like where this has landed overall. As for the Bills, if they don't take Booth because of the injury concerns (and I understand the people who say if everyone else has passed the Bills will too) then my gut says it is between Jahan Dotson and Kyler Gordon. But here I have given them Booth (maybe selfishly 'cos he has been my guy all along) but also because I really like the way it allows the rest of the mock to fall haha. 

As usual I will critique how successful this was in my day 1 de-brief tomorrow morning!!

1 - Jacksonville Jaguars – Travon Walker, EDGE, Georgia

This is not a pick I’d agree with but Trent Baalke’s history in San Francisco is littered with shots taken on physical freaks. Everyone seems to agree it is now down to Walker or Ekwonu and I just see pass rush as a bigger need.

2 – Detroit Lions – Aiden Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan

Detroit will be absolutely giddy if this plays out. I don’t yet totally rule our Malik Willis at this spot but I think they’d find Aiden Hutchinson almost impossible to pass on. They have a major pass rush need, he is an immediate impact starter and played his college ball in state.

3 – Houston Texans – Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon

The noise on Thibodeaux more recently is that teams are still interested in taking him early. The Texans cupboard is bare on the edge. His talent may be too much for Lovie Smith to pass on. Also watch for Derek Stingley in this spot though. 

4 – New York Jets – Ahmed Gardner, Corner, Cincinnati

If Robert Saleh grew cornerbacks in a laboratory they would look something like Sauce Gardner. The Jets have been getting by on mid round overachievers for years at corner. Time for a talent injection.

5 – New York Giants – Derek Stingley, Corner, LSU

Derek Stingley might be the best man corner in this class so he goes to the team with the most man coverage dependent defensive coordinator in football in Wink Martindale. They can take Stingley first and still be assured one of their top tackles at #7.

6 – Carolina Panthers – Ikem Ekwonu, Offensive Tackle, North Carolina State

The Panthers have a different left tackle every season. Time to end the carousel. It comes down to Neal or Ekwonu and when I think Matt Rhule I think road grading run blockers are his thing, so I’ll make Ikey the pick.

7 – New York Giants – Charles Cross, Offensive Tackle, Mississippi State

The Giants will take an offensive tackle with one of their first-round picks. The buzz is that they love Charles Cross and as someone who has watched Brian Daboll’s pass first offenses the last 4 years in Buffalo the best pass protector in the class makes a ton of sense.

8 – Atlanta Falcons – Jermaine Johnson, EDGE, Florida State

Yes they need offense, but the Falcons also need edge rush desperately. Jermaine Johnson has the length and the motor Dean Pees looks for. Immediate upgrade.

9 – Seattle Seahawks – Evan Neal, Offensive Tackle, Alabama

The Seahawks have no Quarterback and a huge gaping hole at left tackle after Duane Brown’s departure. They could choose to go Quarterback here but more likely they wait on that, end the slide of Evan Neal who only a month ago was thought a possible #1 overall pick.

10 – New York Jets – Drake London, Wide Receiver, USC

I expect the Jets to split their two picks one on each side of the ball. Which of the receivers they most covet is tough to decipher, but Mike LaFleur is a Shanahan guy so willing blockers on the outside matter. I’m going Drake London.

11 – Washington Commanders – Kyle Hamilton, Safety, Notre Dame

Kyle Hamilton is a top 3 player in the class who could fall out of the top 10 through positional value. He just feels like a Ron Rivera player to me so this could be the end of his slide.

12 – Minnesota Vikings – Trent McDuffie, Corner, Washington

I think the Vikings are going to select a corner at this spot. Think they’d love Stingley if he got here but they might be one of the teams a little wary of Andrew Booth’s injuries. McDuffie is the sort of “safe” high floor pick that could appeal to a first time GM.

13 – Houston Texans – Garrett Wilson, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

Houston has Brandin Cooks and not much else at receiver. If they are going to truly evaluate Davis Mills as a potential QB of the future then he is going to need some more ammunition. Garrett Wilson’s well-rounded skillset is a nice fit.

14 – Baltimore Ravens – Trevor Penning, Offensive Tackle, Northern Iowa

If Trevor Penning slides this far he will get no further. He starts as the dominant run-blocking machine at right tackle that they lost when trading Orlando Brown to the Chiefs, but if Ronnie Stanley’s injury woe continues Penning can man the blind side too.

15 – Philadelphia Eagles – Devin Lloyd, Linebacker, Utah

I have been with this pick all draft season and I am not changing my mind. Lloyd would be a perfect scheme fit for the Eagles and give them a young stud to develop as a leader of the defense.

16 – New Orleans Saints – Kenny Pickett, Quarterback, Pittsburgh

I have heard the Saints are intrigued by Pickett and will consider him if he slides to them. In this mock he does so let’s project them pulling the trigger on a QB of the future, partly because I do think he goes round 1 and I'm not sure where else makes sense!

17 – Los Angeles Chargers – Jordan Davis, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

This has been a popular pick all draft season, I have avoided it until now and still don’t love the fit but it might well be the most immediate impact pick the Chargers could make as a team with few genuine holes on the roster.

18 – Philadelphia Eagles – Tyler Smith, Guard, Tulsa

This is an intel selection. Told the Eagles scouts were at the Tulsa pro-day in force and Smith was the focus of their attention. A long term option at right tackle as Lane Johnson gets older, or a potential day 1 replacement for the retired Brandon Brooks at guard?

19 – New Orleans Saints – Jameson Williams, Wide Receiver, Alabama

The Saints essentially moved next year’s first rounder up a year in the trade with the Eagles. If you think about it that way then even if Jameson Williams doesn’t return from his ACL until mid-season you are still getting him half a season early. Speed receiver is a major need.

20 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Malik Willis, Quarterback, Liberty

I think Pittsburgh is where Willis ends up. Every time someone sticks a microphone in Tomlin’s face he talks about modern QBs needing mobility. I don’t rule out a trade into the top 10 to get it done, but I think Malik is going to be a Steeler.

21 – New England Patriots – Zion Johnson, Guard, Boston College

New England need receivers but they have also lost two of the best guards in football over the last two offseasons. The rebuilding process for the offensive line starts here.

22 – Green Bay Packers – Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas

The Packers need receivers and they have a type. They like bigger bodies and when you look at the guys they have had in for visits they all fit that physical profile. They also lost the YAC ability of Davante Adams and Burks is a YAC monster.

23 – Arizona Cardinals – Chris Olave, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

The Cardinals either pick Quarterbacks or linebackers in round one as a rule but I’m giving them a receiver here in Chris Olave. He is the best player available at this point, will immediately replace Christian Kirk in the slot but he can play outside too as they transition away from AJ Green.

24 – Dallas Cowboys – Devante Wyatt, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

The Cowboys will attack the trenches here. Kenyon Green is an option at guard but they are in desperate need of the sort of interior penetration on defense that Wyatt would provide.

25 – Buffalo Bills – Andrew Booth, Corner, Clemson

If Booth slides this far it is because of injury concerns but if the Bills are comfortable with that then I can’t see them passing. He upgrades arguably the weakest starting spot on their roster and is made to play in a Sean McDermott defense.

26 – Tennessee Titans – Jahan Dotson, Wide Receiver, Penn State

The Titans are honest that they factor need into their draft selections and with Julio Jones gone and AJ Brown agitating for a new contract they have a need at receiver. Jahan Dotson is mainly a slot for me at the next level but he would give them some speed and playmaking ability.

27 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Lewis Cine, Safety, Georgia

The Buccaneers lost Jordan Whitehead at safety in free agency and Todd Bowles really values safeties in his defense. They did sign Logan Ryan as a stop gap, but Cine feels like a perfect compliment for Antoine Winfield.

28 – Green Bay Packers – George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue

Karlaftis fits the Packer prototype at edge. Z’Darius Smith left in free agency so they have little depth behind Preston Smith (who could be gone after the season) and the ascending Rashan Gary.

29 – Kansas City Chiefs – Skyy Moore, Wide Receiver, Western Michigan

If the board fell like this don’t rule out the Chiefs trading up for a receiver. If they stay here and the top 6 guys have gone Moore feels more of a scheme fit than Watson or Pickens.

30 – Kansas City Chiefs – Boye Mafe, EDGE, Minnesota

The Chiefs defense only really started to improve last season when they patched up their pass rush with the temporary addition of Melvin Ingram. Frank Clark is clearly a declining force on the opposite side too so Mafe would add raw athleticism and speed off the edge.

31 – Cincinnati Bengals – Kyler Gordon, Corner, Washington

The Bengals surprise run to the Superbowl last year featured over achievement from their corners who were both dust settle free agents. But when Eli Apple is a starter for you then you still require an upgrade. Kyler Gordon is widely expected to sneak into round 1.

32 – Detroit Lions – Christian Watson, Wide Receiver, North Dakota State

DJ Chark is currently the Lions #1 receiver. They need to fix that. Christian Watson is a boom or bust prospect but he is renowned as an excellent locker room guy with a first class attitude which I think would appeal to the culture they are trying to build in Detroit.

Okay guys.... as ever, let me have it and enjoy the draft!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 9

• GunnerBill changed the title to Gunner's 2022 Mock Draft (v3 and FINAL - p.17!!)
1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay folks here it is, my third and final mock draft of 2022..... I kind of like where this has landed overall. As for the Bills, if they don't take Booth because of the injury concerns (and I understand the people who say if everyone else has passed the Bills will too) then my gut says it is between Jahan Dotson and Kyler Gordon. But here I have given them Booth (maybe selfishly 'cos he has been my guy all along) but also because I really like the way it allows the rest of the mock to fall haha. 

As usual I will critique how successful this was in my day 1 de-brief tomorrow morning!!

1 - Jacksonville Jaguars – Travon Walker, EDGE, Georgia

This is not a pick I’d agree with but Trent Baalke’s history in San Francisco is littered with shots taken on physical freaks. Everyone seems to agree it is now down to Walker or Ekwonu and I just see pass rush as a bigger need.

2 – Detroit Lions – Aiden Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan

Detroit will be absolutely giddy if this plays out. I don’t yet totally rule our Malik Willis at this spot but I think they’d find Aiden Hutchinson almost impossible to pass on. They have a major pass rush need, he is an immediate impact starter and played his college ball in state.

3 – Houston Texans – Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon

The noise on Thibodeaux more recently is that teams are still interested in taking him early. The Texans cupboard is bare on the edge. His talent may be too much for Lovie Smith to pass on. Also watch for Derek Stingley in this spot though. 

4 – New York Jets – Ahmed Gardner, Corner, Cincinnati

If Robert Saleh grew cornerbacks in a laboratory they would look something like Sauce Gardner. The Jets have been getting by on mid round overachievers for years at corner. Time for a talent injection.

5 – New York Giants – Derek Stingley, Corner, LSU

Derek Stingley might be the best man corner in this class so he goes to the team with the most man coverage dependent defensive coordinator in football in Wink Martindale. They can take Stingley first and still be assured one of their top tackles at #7.

6 – Carolina Panthers – Ikem Ekwonu, Offensive Tackle, North Carolina State

The Panthers have a different left tackle every season. Time to end the carousel. It comes down to Neal or Ekwonu and when I think Matt Rhule I think road grading run blockers are his thing, so I’ll make Ikey the pick.

7 – New York Giants – Charles Cross, Offensive Tackle, Mississippi State

The Giants will take an offensive tackle with one of their first-round picks. The buzz is that they love Charles Cross and as someone who has watched Brian Daboll’s pass first offenses the last 4 years in Buffalo the best pass protector in the class makes a ton of sense.

8 – Atlanta Falcons – Jermaine Johnson, EDGE, Florida State

Yes they need offense, but the Falcons also need edge rush desperately. Jermaine Johnson has the length and the motor Dean Pees looks for. Immediate upgrade.

9 – Seattle Seahawks – Evan Neal, Offensive Tackle, Alabama

The Seahawks have no Quarterback and a huge gaping hole at left tackle after Duane Brown’s departure. They could choose to go Quarterback here but more likely they wait on that, end the slide of Evan Neal who only a month ago was thought a possible #1 overall pick.

10 – New York Jets – Drake London, Wide Receiver, USC

I expect the Jets to split their two picks one on each side of the ball. Which of the receivers they most covet is tough to decipher, but Mike LaFleur is a Shanahan guy so willing blockers on the outside matter. I’m going Drake London.

11 – Washington Commanders – Kyle Hamilton, Safety, Notre Dame

Kyle Hamilton is a top 3 player in the class who could fall out of the top 10 through positional value. He just feels like a Ron Rivera player to me so this could be the end of his slide.

12 – Minnesota Vikings – Trent McDuffie, Corner, Washington

I think the Vikings are going to select a corner at this spot. Think they’d love Stingley if he got here but they might be one of the teams a little wary of Andrew Booth’s injuries. McDuffie is the sort of “safe” high floor pick that could appeal to a first time GM.

13 – Houston Texans – Garrett Wilson, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

Houston has Brandin Cooks and not much else at receiver. If they are going to truly evaluate Davis Mills as a potential QB of the future then he is going to need some more ammunition. Garrett Wilson’s well-rounded skillset is a nice fit.

14 – Baltimore Ravens – Trevor Penning, Offensive Tackle, Northern Iowa

If Trevor Penning slides this far he will get no further. He starts as the dominant run-blocking machine at right tackle that they lost when trading Orlando Brown to the Chiefs, but if Ronnie Stanley’s injury woe continues Penning can man the blind side too.

15 – Philadelphia Eagles – Devin Lloyd, Linebacker, Utah

I have been with this pick all draft season and I am not changing my mind. Lloyd would be a perfect scheme fit for the Eagles and give them a young stud to develop as a leader of the defense.

16 – New Orleans Saints – Kenny Pickett, Quarterback, Pittsburgh

I have heard the Saints are intrigued by Pickett and will consider him if he slides to them. In this mock he does so let’s project them pulling the trigger on a QB of the future, partly because I do think he goes round 1 and I'm not sure where else makes sense!

17 – Los Angeles Chargers – Jordan Davis, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

This has been a popular pick all draft season, I have avoided it until now and still don’t love the fit but it might well be the most immediate impact pick the Chargers could make as a team with few genuine holes on the roster.

18 – Philadelphia Eagles – Tyler Smith, Guard, Tulsa

This is an intel selection. Told the Eagles scouts were at the Tulsa pro-day in force and Smith was the focus of their attention. A long term option at right tackle as Lane Johnson gets older, or a potential day 1 replacement for the retired Brandon Brooks at guard?

19 – New Orleans Saints – Jameson Williams, Wide Receiver, Alabama

The Saints essentially moved next year’s first rounder up a year in the trade with the Eagles. If you think about it that way then even if Jameson Williams doesn’t return from his ACL until mid-season you are still getting him half a season early. Speed receiver is a major need.

20 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Malik Willis, Quarterback, Liberty

I think Pittsburgh is where Willis ends up. Every time someone sticks a microphone in Tomlin’s face he talks about modern QBs needing mobility. I don’t rule out a trade into the top 10 to get it done, but I think Malik is going to be a Steeler.

21 – New England Patriots – Zion Johnson, Guard, Boston College

New England need receivers but they have also lost two of the best guards in football over the last two offseasons. The rebuilding process for the offensive line starts here.

22 – Green Bay Packers – Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas

The Packers need receivers and they have a type. They like bigger bodies and when you look at the guys they have had in for visits they all fit that physical profile. They also lost the YAC ability of Davante Adams and Burks is a YAC monster.

23 – Arizona Cardinals – Chris Olave, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

The Cardinals either pick Quarterbacks or linebackers in round one as a rule but I’m giving them a receiver here in Chris Olave. He is the best player available at this point, will immediately replace Christian Kirk in the slot but he can play outside too as they transition away from AJ Green.

24 – Dallas Cowboys – Devante Wyatt, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

The Cowboys will attack the trenches here. Kenyon Green is an option at guard but they are in desperate need of the sort of interior penetration on defense that Wyatt would provide.

25 – Buffalo Bills – Andrew Booth, Corner, Clemson

If Booth slides this far it is because of injury concerns but if the Bills are comfortable with that then I can’t see them passing. He upgrades arguably the weakest starting spot on their roster and is made to play in a Sean McDermott defense.

26 – Tennessee Titans – Jahan Dotson, Wide Receiver, Penn State

The Titans are honest that they factor need into their draft selections and with Julio Jones gone and AJ Brown agitating for a new contract they have a need at receiver. Jahan Dotson is mainly a slot for me at the next level but he would give them some speed and playmaking ability.

27 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Lewis Cine, Safety, Georgia

The Buccaneers lost Jordan Whitehead at safety in free agency and Todd Bowles really values safeties in his defense. They did sign Logan Ryan as a stop gap, but Cine feels like a perfect compliment for Antoine Winfield.

28 – Green Bay Packers – George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue

Karlaftis fits the Packer prototype at edge. Z’Darius Smith left in free agency so they have little depth behind Preston Smith (who could be gone after the season) and the ascending Rashan Gary.

29 – Kansas City Chiefs – Skyy Moore, Wide Receiver, Western Michigan

If the board fell like this don’t rule out the Chiefs trading up for a receiver. If they stay here and the top 6 guys have gone Moore feels more of a scheme fit than Watson or Pickens.

30 – Kansas City Chiefs – Boye Mafe, EDGE, Minnesota

The Chiefs defense only really started to improve last season when they patched up their pass rush with the temporary addition of Melvin Ingram. Frank Clark is clearly a declining force on the opposite side too so Mafe would add raw athleticism and speed off the edge.

31 – Cincinnati Bengals – Kyler Gordon, Corner, Washington

The Bengals surprise run to the Superbowl last year featured over achievement from their corners who were both dust settle free agents. But when Eli Apple is a starter for you then you still require an upgrade. Kyler Gordon is widely expected to sneak into round 1.

32 – Detroit Lions – Christian Watson, Wide Receiver, North Dakota State

DJ Chark is currently the Lions #1 receiver. They need to fix that. Christian Watson is a boom or bust prospect but he is renowned as an excellent locker room guy with a first class attitude which I think would appeal to the culture they are trying to build in Detroit.

Okay guys.... as ever, let me have it and enjoy the draft!!

As I said in another post, why are Booth’s medicals supposedly an issue, but not Stingley’s?  I mean, Stingley’s barely played since 2019 and I don’t think Booth’s missed a game. I’d love this pick for the Bills…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.