Gunner's 2022 Mock Draft (v3 and FINAL - p.17!!)

GunnerBill

Jameson Williams might have been my favorite WR in this draft before he went down with the ACL.  

A few things:

1)  He does a lot of his work out of the slot. So if we move off Beasley/McKenzie, he slides right into the trio of Diggs/Davis/Williams.   That might be the most explosive group in the NFL once he’s fully ramped up.  

2)  Might make sense to keep one of them with this pick, given he may not be ready to be counted on until mid-season.  

3)  He’s a special teams ace.   One of the best Bama had on that unit. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

I'd strongly argue that McGahee was a steal or even a good pick.

For those who don't remember, he averaged 3.8, 3.8 and 4.0 YPC his three years in Buffalo. Yeah we did not have a good OL, particularly in the last two of those three years. But while he developed into a guy who could stand up to a lot of carries, he was never a guy teams game-planned for. If he'd been a 3rd rounder, he'd have been a really good value. As a first rounder, a good player but not worth the pick.

In no sane universe was McGahee a good pick for that team in that draft.  None.  Was a borderline criminal act by Donahoe.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The pain of last weekend slowly gives way to the realisation that we are firmly in draft season and so here is my first stab at a 2022 mock draft. There are more unknowns than normal by this time of year because we still have the Championship games to go (because the season is a week longer) and because we still have SIX unfilled head coaching jobs. So there is a fair amount of speculation that has had to go into this coupled with the fact that I already think this is one of the least predictable first rounds in years. Firstly, there are lot of picks that already belong to teams other than those to who they originally belong (Giants, Lions and Jets have two picks each, the Eagles have 3 and the Dolphins have one but it isn't their own) and secondly, there are not many players genuinely separating themselves at the very top of this class and are a LOT of players who, frankly, could go anywhere from about 8th overall to about 48th overall. Scheme fits, positional value and need are going to play into this first round a lot more than a normal first round and I think the cliched "Best Player Available" will be an even more abstract concept this year than normal.

Last year when I did my first mock in early Feb I did a two round edition and I do plan to update this in February with a two round version once all the coaches are hired and things are somewhat more settled. But for now, here is an early stab at the first 32 picks of the 2022 NFL Draft. Enjoy reading!

1 - Jacksonville Jaguars – Aiden Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan

When you pick 1st overall in consecutive seasons and spend the first of those on a Quarterback what you are really hoping is that there is a potential franchise Quarterback there the second year to allow you to move back and collect picks. However, unfortunately for the Jags, there isn’t. The choice comes down to reach for an offensive tackle – which is a need – or stay put and take the best player on the board. Until the Jags hire a coach and sort out the GM spot I am going to err on the side of them doing the latter.

2 – Detroit Lions – Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregan

In contrast this couldn’t set up much better for the Lions. They were 29th in pressuring the Quarterback and 30th in sacks in 2021. They have the 2nd overall pick and the consensus top two players on the board are edge rushers. I personally think they’d prefer Hutchinson and so if the Jags go offensive line expect him to be the pick but if the Jags take him, I still expect them to more than content with Thibodeaux.

3 – Houston Texans – Kyle Hamilton, Safety, Notre Dame

A safety? At third overall? I agree it feels a bad positional value… but this is not a great draft in terms of elite players at the top and Kyle Hamilton is one guy who does fit that mold. And then think about Houston’s General Manager. Nick Caserio comes from New England where they have valued safety play. They draft and then paid Devin McCourty handsomely and spent a second two years ago on Kyle Dugger when they had more obvious and immediate needs. Hamilton reminds me of Derwin James coming out. Yes he can play as a coverage eraser in center field but he can do so much more than that. This guy is a matchup monster who can do it all.

4 – New York Jets – Ikem Ekwonu, Offensive Tackle, North Carolina State

The Jets have thrown picks at their offensive line in recent years in Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker. Both were good as rookies but the idea in 2021 was to have them together holding down Zack Wilson’s blindside. Instead Becton played just one game, suffering a knee injury week one that was originally a 4 to 6 week deal, but kept him out the rest of the year. The noises from inside the franchise are not good. His work ethic has been questioned and his weight issues from college have returned which hampered the recovery. I can see the Jets trying again with Ekwonu who could play right tackle, or guard, if Becton does get it together but can take over at left tackle if he doesn’t.

5 – New York Giants – Evan Neal, Offensive Tackle, Alabama

Can anyone remember the last time the Giants’ offensive line didn’t suck? Nor me. Andrew Thomas had a solid sophomore season after struggling as a rookie at left tackle but the broken down body of Nate Solder was a turnstile on the right hand side. Anyone who has watched Brian Daboll’s offenses in Buffalo knows that his Quarterback is going to need the edges protecting and Daniel Jones, while athletic, is not Josh Allen in terms of being able to escape. Personally I am unconvinced by Neal as a left tackle prospect at the NFL level and that does put a ceiling on his value. But in this scenario as a right tackle he makes a lot of sense for the Giants.

6 – Carolina Panthers – Charles Cross, Offensive Tackle, Mississippi State

Carolina’s biggest need is obviously Quarterback. I suspect they are going to try again for Deshaun Watson depending on his status by March because Rhule needs to win in 2022 and trusting a rookie Quarterback would be scary. But after that it is offensive line. Here is a start for you and for @BillfromNYC in particular…. The Panthers have drafted THREE first round running backs since they last spent a first round pick on the offensive line (2003). That surely has to change because that unit is a liability. Cross is my #1 offensive tackle and I think he is a guy you plug and play for a decade on the blindside.

7 – New York Giants – Ahmad Gardner, Cornerback, Cincinnati

I hope nobody popped out for coffee in the Giants war room, ‘cos they are right back on the clock! As of the time of writing Brian Daboll has not hired a defensive coordinator but the name I have heard multiple times is Wink Martindale. The Giants have a need at corner and Wink values length and ability to play man coverage. Step forward Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner who is going to be higher on boards than most people would imagine.

8 – Atlanta Falcons – David Ojabo, EDGE, Michigan

This pick for the Falcons comes down to edge rusher or corner. They have major needs in both spots. I just think Ojabo is Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees’ type of edge rusher. Long, fast, bendy… has the physical attributes. His one year production is going to put some teams off and I think he is more a 3-4 OLB than a hand in the dirt defensive end but that is a perfect fit for what Atlanta runs.

9 – Denver Broncos – Kenny Pickett, Quarterback, Pittsburgh

Now this might all be moot if as some suspect Aaron Rodgers follows his former offensive coordinator Nate Hackett to Mile High. But the Broncos need somehow to find a Quarterback and so in a world where they haven’t landed Rodgers in a trade I have them reaching for Kenny Pickett who I think could run Hackett’s system effectively even if I don’t see the ceiling that you might want to compete in a division with Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert.

10 – New York Jets – Derek Stingley Jr, Cornerback, LSU

The Jets were playing overachieving late round picks in the secondary last year. Stingley has never quite scaled the heights of his freshman year again in 2020 or 2021 but if he lasts here until 10 the Jets would sprint to the podium. Huge upgrade.

11 – Washington Football Team – Matt Corral, Quarterback, Ole Miss

The Washington Football team always seems to find itself playing the Quarterback market in the wrong year. This is not a great group and this feels a reach for Corral who just plays a little bit robotic when I have watched him. Doesn’t look like a natural passer. But they have to do something here and I am not sure it is an attractive destination for any signal callers in the trade market.

12 – Minnesota Vikings – Andrew Booth, Cornerback, Clemson

Kwasi Adofo-Mensah is an intriguing hire as GM by the Vikings because he is from an analytics background rather than the traditional scouting background. While the Vikings have needs all over their defense the analytics in recent years lean towards spending capital on defensive backs rather than defensive linemen as the league because increasingly pass centric. Booth is actually my #1 corner in the draft but I wouldn’t be as high on him here if the Vikings were to hire a defensive coordinator who is going to be primarily a man coverage guy. Booth reminds me a ton of Tre White as a guy who can get physical and press but excels in zone.

13 – Cleveland Browns – George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue

The Browns big areas of need are defensive line and wide receiver. I thought about a receiver here but with the class having depth I wonder if they wait on that and instead bring in Karlaftis as a replacement for Jadaveon Clowney who had a very good year but the Browns likely can’t afford to keep. Skillset wise he is similar to Clowney. He is a bigger end who is going to set the set the edge and force plays towards Garrett while also notching clean up sacks when QBs are trying to escape the pocket his side.

14 – Baltimore Ravens – DeMarvin Leal, Defensive Tackle, Texas A&M

The Ravens defensive line is old. Calais Campbell is 35, Brandon Williams is 32 and Derek Wolfe is 31. They need to get younger up front. Leal would be a great start. There is a mix of views on his best positional fit among evaluators. Some see his best fit as a 3 tech in a 4 man front but I like him as a 5 tech defensive end in a 3-4 and I think he’d be a day 1 starter at that spot for the Ravens.

15 – Philadelphia Eagles – Tyler Linderbaum, Center, Iowa

This is one of the most popular mock draft picks in the early weeks of draft season, but it just makes so much sense. The Eagles future Hall of Fame center Jason Kelce is 34 and Linderbaum reminds me of him in the sense of being “undersized” compare to the prototype NFL center but a guy who is smart and moves well.

16 – Philadelphia Eagles – Devin Lloyd, Linebacker, Utah

The Eagles defensive scheme reminds me a lot of what Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier have done with the Bills. As such I can see a long, athletic, rangy middle linebacker being attractive to Defensive Coordinator Jonathan Gannon and Lloyd fits the bill.

17 – Los Angeles Chargers – Kyler Gordon, Cornerback, Washington

Brandon Staley’s defense has to get better. Part of that has to be about improving the play in the secondary. To play in Staley’s scheme a corner needs to be comfortable in both man and zone (and last season’s second round pick Asante Samuel has struggled with zone concepts) which makes me think Kyler Gordon is the best fit of the second-tier corners.

18 – New Orleans Saints – Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas

Honestly the Saints have holes all over the place and likely need to create some more to get within the salary cap. But their biggest hole is at receiver. Their leading receiver in 2021 was Marcus Calloway with 698 yards and he struggles with drops. Michael Thomas’s future is up in the air so I think someone like Burks who can take short passes and make big gains would be attractive.

19 – Philadelphia Eagles – Cameron Thomas, EDGE, San Diego State

We know the MO of Eagles GM Howie Roseman. He builds the lines. I already have them going oline with one of their three first round picks in this draft and now I see them switching to defense. Derek Barnett is out of contract and has never quite justified his draft status, I don’t expect him to be brought back and Ryan Kerrigan (his backup) is a FA too. Cam Thomas has exceptional hands which reminds me a bit of Barnett coming out and I know Roseman values that in his rushers.

20 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Kenyon Green, Guard, Texas A&M

The Steelers number 1 need is clearly a Quarterback, but I just don’t see reaching on one as Kevin Colbert’s style, even though he is stepping down after the draft. Their offensive line has been a problem for a couple of seasons now. They drafted Dan Moore in the 4th round last year and have him penciled in to start at left tackle. I think Green would slot in very nicely alongside him.

21 – New England Patriots – Chris Olave, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

The Patriots have not got a great track record drafting wide receivers early in the draft. Part of that is that their offense (similar to Buffalo’s) asks the receivers to read the coverage almost as much as the Quarterback. But they just have to get more explosive on offense. Chris Olave is the smoothest route runner in this class and if, as some suspect, he runs a 4.3 he is in play to go earlier than this. But if he is there at #21 the Patriots should make sure he falls no further. He doesn’t need a Quarterback with a big arm to throw a deep ball. Olave can catch a 5 yard pass and take it the distance.

22 – Las Vegas Raiders – Trevor Penning, Offensive Tackle, Northern Iowa

The Raiders offensive line was a hot mess in 2021. Kolton Miller at left tackle was a Gruden and Mayock pick and they were determined, despite all the evidence, to force it to work – a new regime might well move on. As for Alex Leatherwood who they drafted in the first round (and reached for) last year… he failed at tackle and is now playing guard (where I always thought his NFL future lay). Trevor Penning might finally give them their answer at left tackle. He is raw but he is a monster and his ceiling is sky high.

23 – Arizona Cardinals – Jordan Davis, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

The big man comes off the board! The Cardinals had a big free agency swing at a big man who could penetrate up front when they signed Jordan Phillips from the Buffalo Bills before the 2020 season. He has logged just 5 sacks in two seasons and their starting nose tackle Corey Peters is a 33-year-old free agent too. Davis brings a nice mix of the two skill sets.  

24 – Dallas Cowboys – Nakobe Dean, Linebacker, Georgia

Back to back Bulldogs! This projection is all about Dan Quinn’s decision to stay with Dallas as Defensive Coordinator. Leighton Vander Esch is a free agent and is not a priority to retain. Micah Parsons is defensive rookie of the year, but is as much an edge rusher as a linebacker… and Nakobe Dean reminds me so much of Deion Jones coming out of LSU who excelled in Quinn’s defense with the Falcons.

25 – Buffalo Bills – Jameson Williams, Wide Receiver, Alabama

If Williams had not suffered an ACL tear in the National Championship game then I suspect there was very little chance of him dropping to this spot. The Bills more than most teams could afford to wait if Williams is not ready to contribute week 1. He was clocked in the 4.3s before his injury this season. If the Bills are confident he will retain that game breaking speed he would be a steal here.

26 – Tennessee Titans – Trey McBride, Tight End, Colorado

Hard to know where to go for the Titans. They don’t have a ton of needs, but they also don’t have a 2nd round pick having traded it to the Falcons for Julio Jones. Offensive line is possible, linebacker is a need but the two first round talents are off the board, so I wonder if they might be interested in McBride as a replacement for Jonnu Smith who departed for New England last spring. A two way tight end that can block and be an option in the passing game would help this offense.

27 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Travon Walker, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

Given recent news a Quarterback is a possibility here. I wonder if Bruce Arians might be attracted to Malik Willis the big armed kid out of Liberty and getting back to more of his traditional Air Coryell routes rather than Brady’s dink and dunk. However, they need to continue the youth movement up front too. Joe Tryon played well in spot duty as a rookie on the edge but William Gholston is a free agent at the 3-4 defensive end spot and Walker is a similar physical profile and could slide into that role.

28 – Green Bay Packers – Drake London, Wide Receiver, USC

I feel like the Packers do not want to pick a receiver in the 1st round while Rodgers is there – just out of pure belligerence. But if Davonte Adams walks as a free agent then they might have no other option. Drake London is a prototypical #1 outside receiver and whether it is Rodgers, Jordan Love or someone else throwing the ball if it is within his radius he is going to come down with it.

29 – Miami Dolphins – Garrett Wilson, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

Stop me if you have heard this before… but Miami needs receivers and offensive linemen, despite a lot of investment in both spots in recent years. Jaylon Waddle was a major hit as a rookie but Will Fuller as a one year rental did not work out, Preston Williams can’t stay healthy and Devante Parker is a possible cap casualty. With Tua as your Quarterback you need YAC guys and so Garrett Wilson out of Ohio State feels like a fit.

30 – Cincinnati Bengals – Nicholas Petit-Frere, Offensive Tackle, Ohio State

I will say it until I am blue in the face but Cincinnati has to get better up front. I’d have drafted Penei Sewell at #5 last year and he was a beast down the stretch for the Lions, but Chase was likely the rookie of the year so you can’t blame them for going that route. The problem is they have won too many games to be in range for one of the premium tackles in this class. That said Petit-Frere is a nice prospect and I think he is a natural left tackle so would likely represent an upgrade on Jonah Williams who you either flip to right tackle or slide inside to guard where Quinton Spain (their best lineman in 2021) is a free agent.

31 – Detroit Lions – Jaquan Brisker, Safety, Penn State

This is a spot where the Lions could absolutely take a swing at a Quarterback. If they do I’d look for a toolsy developmental guy either Willis or Desmond Ridder to come and sit for a year behind Jared Goff. However, because none of this class really pops to me and because Goff played well down the stretch (70% completion, 11 TDs and 2 INTs in his final 5 games) I have them going in a different direction. Their secondary has been a problem for a number of years under consecutive coaching staffs and their safety play in particular was atrocious in 2021. Jaquan Brisker and Jordan Battle are the second tier of safeties in this class, but I think Brisker is the superior coverage player and so I have gone with him here.

32 – Kansas City Chiefs – Roger McCreary, Corner, Auburn

My views on Kansas City’s corner situation is well known. L’Jarius Sneed is their best corner but he is a nickel guy primarily and they need better play on the boundary. There are three guys on the board who could come under consideration in this spot if a corner is the selection: McCreary, Trent McDuffie and Kaiir Elam but I think McCreary is the best man coverage guy of those three and in Spagnuolo’s scheme he wants to be able to bring the house and have his corners hold up outside.

Flame away!

If Williams had not suffered an ACL tear in the National Championship game then I suspect there was very little chance of him dropping to this spot. The Bills more than most teams could afford to wait if Williams is not ready to contribute week 1. He was clocked in the 4.3s before his injury this season. If the Bills are confident he will retain that game breaking speed he would be a steal here.

Nope.  No way.  No how.  

None of our first 3 picks should weigh less than 300 lbs.

Diggs and Davis are an excellent #1 and #2.

McKenzie will take Beasely's spot in the slot or we will bring in a younger and cheaper FA as well.

We need 2 interior offensive linemen and a 1DT with our first 3 picks.

Edited by HIT BY SPIKES
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The pain of last weekend slowly gives way to the realisation that we are firmly in draft season and so here is my first stab at a 2022 mock draft. There are more unknowns than normal by this time of year because we still have the Championship games to go (because the season is a week longer) and because we still have SIX unfilled head coaching jobs. So there is a fair amount of speculation that has had to go into this coupled with the fact that I already think this is one of the least predictable first rounds in years. Firstly, there are lot of picks that already belong to teams other than those to who they originally belong (Giants, Lions and Jets have two picks each, the Eagles have 3 and the Dolphins have one but it isn't their own) and secondly, there are not many players genuinely separating themselves at the very top of this class and are a LOT of players who, frankly, could go anywhere from about 8th overall to about 48th overall. Scheme fits, positional value and need are going to play into this first round a lot more than a normal first round and I think the cliched "Best Player Available" will be an even more abstract concept this year than normal.

Last year when I did my first mock in early Feb I did a two round edition and I do plan to update this in February with a two round version once all the coaches are hired and things are somewhat more settled. But for now, here is an early stab at the first 32 picks of the 2022 NFL Draft. Enjoy reading!

1 - Jacksonville Jaguars – Aiden Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan

When you pick 1st overall in consecutive seasons and spend the first of those on a Quarterback what you are really hoping is that there is a potential franchise Quarterback there the second year to allow you to move back and collect picks. However, unfortunately for the Jags, there isn’t. The choice comes down to reach for an offensive tackle – which is a need – or stay put and take the best player on the board. Until the Jags hire a coach and sort out the GM spot I am going to err on the side of them doing the latter.

2 – Detroit Lions – Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregan

In contrast this couldn’t set up much better for the Lions. They were 29th in pressuring the Quarterback and 30th in sacks in 2021. They have the 2nd overall pick and the consensus top two players on the board are edge rushers. I personally think they’d prefer Hutchinson and so if the Jags go offensive line expect him to be the pick but if the Jags take him, I still expect them to more than content with Thibodeaux.

3 – Houston Texans – Kyle Hamilton, Safety, Notre Dame

A safety? At third overall? I agree it feels a bad positional value… but this is not a great draft in terms of elite players at the top and Kyle Hamilton is one guy who does fit that mold. And then think about Houston’s General Manager. Nick Caserio comes from New England where they have valued safety play. They draft and then paid Devin McCourty handsomely and spent a second two years ago on Kyle Dugger when they had more obvious and immediate needs. Hamilton reminds me of Derwin James coming out. Yes he can play as a coverage eraser in center field but he can do so much more than that. This guy is a matchup monster who can do it all.

4 – New York Jets – Ikem Ekwonu, Offensive Tackle, North Carolina State

The Jets have thrown picks at their offensive line in recent years in Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker. Both were good as rookies but the idea in 2021 was to have them together holding down Zack Wilson’s blindside. Instead Becton played just one game, suffering a knee injury week one that was originally a 4 to 6 week deal, but kept him out the rest of the year. The noises from inside the franchise are not good. His work ethic has been questioned and his weight issues from college have returned which hampered the recovery. I can see the Jets trying again with Ekwonu who could play right tackle, or guard, if Becton does get it together but can take over at left tackle if he doesn’t.

5 – New York Giants – Evan Neal, Offensive Tackle, Alabama

Can anyone remember the last time the Giants’ offensive line didn’t suck? Nor me. Andrew Thomas had a solid sophomore season after struggling as a rookie at left tackle but the broken down body of Nate Solder was a turnstile on the right hand side. Anyone who has watched Brian Daboll’s offenses in Buffalo knows that his Quarterback is going to need the edges protecting and Daniel Jones, while athletic, is not Josh Allen in terms of being able to escape. Personally I am unconvinced by Neal as a left tackle prospect at the NFL level and that does put a ceiling on his value. But in this scenario as a right tackle he makes a lot of sense for the Giants.

6 – Carolina Panthers – Charles Cross, Offensive Tackle, Mississippi State

Carolina’s biggest need is obviously Quarterback. I suspect they are going to try again for Deshaun Watson depending on his status by March because Rhule needs to win in 2022 and trusting a rookie Quarterback would be scary. But after that it is offensive line. Here is a start for you and for @BillfromNYC in particular…. The Panthers have drafted THREE first round running backs since they last spent a first round pick on the offensive line (2003). That surely has to change because that unit is a liability. Cross is my #1 offensive tackle and I think he is a guy you plug and play for a decade on the blindside.

7 – New York Giants – Ahmad Gardner, Cornerback, Cincinnati

I hope nobody popped out for coffee in the Giants war room, ‘cos they are right back on the clock! As of the time of writing Brian Daboll has not hired a defensive coordinator but the name I have heard multiple times is Wink Martindale. The Giants have a need at corner and Wink values length and ability to play man coverage. Step forward Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner who is going to be higher on boards than most people would imagine.

8 – Atlanta Falcons – David Ojabo, EDGE, Michigan

This pick for the Falcons comes down to edge rusher or corner. They have major needs in both spots. I just think Ojabo is Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees’ type of edge rusher. Long, fast, bendy… has the physical attributes. His one year production is going to put some teams off and I think he is more a 3-4 OLB than a hand in the dirt defensive end but that is a perfect fit for what Atlanta runs.

9 – Denver Broncos – Kenny Pickett, Quarterback, Pittsburgh

Now this might all be moot if as some suspect Aaron Rodgers follows his former offensive coordinator Nate Hackett to Mile High. But the Broncos need somehow to find a Quarterback and so in a world where they haven’t landed Rodgers in a trade I have them reaching for Kenny Pickett who I think could run Hackett’s system effectively even if I don’t see the ceiling that you might want to compete in a division with Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert.

10 – New York Jets – Derek Stingley Jr, Cornerback, LSU

The Jets were playing overachieving late round picks in the secondary last year. Stingley has never quite scaled the heights of his freshman year again in 2020 or 2021 but if he lasts here until 10 the Jets would sprint to the podium. Huge upgrade.

11 – Washington Football Team – Matt Corral, Quarterback, Ole Miss

The Washington Football team always seems to find itself playing the Quarterback market in the wrong year. This is not a great group and this feels a reach for Corral who just plays a little bit robotic when I have watched him. Doesn’t look like a natural passer. But they have to do something here and I am not sure it is an attractive destination for any signal callers in the trade market.

12 – Minnesota Vikings – Andrew Booth, Cornerback, Clemson

Kwasi Adofo-Mensah is an intriguing hire as GM by the Vikings because he is from an analytics background rather than the traditional scouting background. While the Vikings have needs all over their defense the analytics in recent years lean towards spending capital on defensive backs rather than defensive linemen as the league because increasingly pass centric. Booth is actually my #1 corner in the draft but I wouldn’t be as high on him here if the Vikings were to hire a defensive coordinator who is going to be primarily a man coverage guy. Booth reminds me a ton of Tre White as a guy who can get physical and press but excels in zone.

13 – Cleveland Browns – George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue

The Browns big areas of need are defensive line and wide receiver. I thought about a receiver here but with the class having depth I wonder if they wait on that and instead bring in Karlaftis as a replacement for Jadaveon Clowney who had a very good year but the Browns likely can’t afford to keep. Skillset wise he is similar to Clowney. He is a bigger end who is going to set the set the edge and force plays towards Garrett while also notching clean up sacks when QBs are trying to escape the pocket his side.

14 – Baltimore Ravens – DeMarvin Leal, Defensive Tackle, Texas A&M

The Ravens defensive line is old. Calais Campbell is 35, Brandon Williams is 32 and Derek Wolfe is 31. They need to get younger up front. Leal would be a great start. There is a mix of views on his best positional fit among evaluators. Some see his best fit as a 3 tech in a 4 man front but I like him as a 5 tech defensive end in a 3-4 and I think he’d be a day 1 starter at that spot for the Ravens.

15 – Philadelphia Eagles – Tyler Linderbaum, Center, Iowa

This is one of the most popular mock draft picks in the early weeks of draft season, but it just makes so much sense. The Eagles future Hall of Fame center Jason Kelce is 34 and Linderbaum reminds me of him in the sense of being “undersized” compare to the prototype NFL center but a guy who is smart and moves well.

16 – Philadelphia Eagles – Devin Lloyd, Linebacker, Utah

The Eagles defensive scheme reminds me a lot of what Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier have done with the Bills. As such I can see a long, athletic, rangy middle linebacker being attractive to Defensive Coordinator Jonathan Gannon and Lloyd fits the bill.

17 – Los Angeles Chargers – Kyler Gordon, Cornerback, Washington

Brandon Staley’s defense has to get better. Part of that has to be about improving the play in the secondary. To play in Staley’s scheme a corner needs to be comfortable in both man and zone (and last season’s second round pick Asante Samuel has struggled with zone concepts) which makes me think Kyler Gordon is the best fit of the second-tier corners.

18 – New Orleans Saints – Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas

Honestly the Saints have holes all over the place and likely need to create some more to get within the salary cap. But their biggest hole is at receiver. Their leading receiver in 2021 was Marcus Calloway with 698 yards and he struggles with drops. Michael Thomas’s future is up in the air so I think someone like Burks who can take short passes and make big gains would be attractive.

19 – Philadelphia Eagles – Cameron Thomas, EDGE, San Diego State

We know the MO of Eagles GM Howie Roseman. He builds the lines. I already have them going oline with one of their three first round picks in this draft and now I see them switching to defense. Derek Barnett is out of contract and has never quite justified his draft status, I don’t expect him to be brought back and Ryan Kerrigan (his backup) is a FA too. Cam Thomas has exceptional hands which reminds me a bit of Barnett coming out and I know Roseman values that in his rushers.

20 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Kenyon Green, Guard, Texas A&M

The Steelers number 1 need is clearly a Quarterback, but I just don’t see reaching on one as Kevin Colbert’s style, even though he is stepping down after the draft. Their offensive line has been a problem for a couple of seasons now. They drafted Dan Moore in the 4th round last year and have him penciled in to start at left tackle. I think Green would slot in very nicely alongside him.

21 – New England Patriots – Chris Olave, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

The Patriots have not got a great track record drafting wide receivers early in the draft. Part of that is that their offense (similar to Buffalo’s) asks the receivers to read the coverage almost as much as the Quarterback. But they just have to get more explosive on offense. Chris Olave is the smoothest route runner in this class and if, as some suspect, he runs a 4.3 he is in play to go earlier than this. But if he is there at #21 the Patriots should make sure he falls no further. He doesn’t need a Quarterback with a big arm to throw a deep ball. Olave can catch a 5 yard pass and take it the distance.

22 – Las Vegas Raiders – Trevor Penning, Offensive Tackle, Northern Iowa

The Raiders offensive line was a hot mess in 2021. Kolton Miller at left tackle was a Gruden and Mayock pick and they were determined, despite all the evidence, to force it to work – a new regime might well move on. As for Alex Leatherwood who they drafted in the first round (and reached for) last year… he failed at tackle and is now playing guard (where I always thought his NFL future lay). Trevor Penning might finally give them their answer at left tackle. He is raw but he is a monster and his ceiling is sky high.

23 – Arizona Cardinals – Jordan Davis, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

The big man comes off the board! The Cardinals had a big free agency swing at a big man who could penetrate up front when they signed Jordan Phillips from the Buffalo Bills before the 2020 season. He has logged just 5 sacks in two seasons and their starting nose tackle Corey Peters is a 33-year-old free agent too. Davis brings a nice mix of the two skill sets.  

24 – Dallas Cowboys – Nakobe Dean, Linebacker, Georgia

Back to back Bulldogs! This projection is all about Dan Quinn’s decision to stay with Dallas as Defensive Coordinator. Leighton Vander Esch is a free agent and is not a priority to retain. Micah Parsons is defensive rookie of the year, but is as much an edge rusher as a linebacker… and Nakobe Dean reminds me so much of Deion Jones coming out of LSU who excelled in Quinn’s defense with the Falcons.

26 – Tennessee Titans – Trey McBride, Tight End, Colorado

Hard to know where to go for the Titans. They don’t have a ton of needs, but they also don’t have a 2nd round pick having traded it to the Falcons for Julio Jones. Offensive line is possible, linebacker is a need but the two first round talents are off the board, so I wonder if they might be interested in McBride as a replacement for Jonnu Smith who departed for New England last spring. A two way tight end that can block and be an option in the passing game would help this offense.

27 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Travon Walker, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

Given recent news a Quarterback is a possibility here. I wonder if Bruce Arians might be attracted to Malik Willis the big armed kid out of Liberty and getting back to more of his traditional Air Coryell routes rather than Brady’s dink and dunk. However, they need to continue the youth movement up front too. Joe Tryon played well in spot duty as a rookie on the edge but William Gholston is a free agent at the 3-4 defensive end spot and Walker is a similar physical profile and could slide into that role.

28 – Green Bay Packers – Drake London, Wide Receiver, USC

I feel like the Packers do not want to pick a receiver in the 1st round while Rodgers is there – just out of pure belligerence. But if Davonte Adams walks as a free agent then they might have no other option. Drake London is a prototypical #1 outside receiver and whether it is Rodgers, Jordan Love or someone else throwing the ball if it is within his radius he is going to come down with it.

29 – Miami Dolphins – Garrett Wilson, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

Stop me if you have heard this before… but Miami needs receivers and offensive linemen, despite a lot of investment in both spots in recent years. Jaylon Waddle was a major hit as a rookie but Will Fuller as a one year rental did not work out, Preston Williams can’t stay healthy and Devante Parker is a possible cap casualty. With Tua as your Quarterback you need YAC guys and so Garrett Wilson out of Ohio State feels like a fit.

30 – Cincinnati Bengals – Nicholas Petit-Frere, Offensive Tackle, Ohio State

I will say it until I am blue in the face but Cincinnati has to get better up front. I’d have drafted Penei Sewell at #5 last year and he was a beast down the stretch for the Lions, but Chase was likely the rookie of the year so you can’t blame them for going that route. The problem is they have won too many games to be in range for one of the premium tackles in this class. That said Petit-Frere is a nice prospect and I think he is a natural left tackle so would likely represent an upgrade on Jonah Williams who you either flip to right tackle or slide inside to guard where Quinton Spain (their best lineman in 2021) is a free agent.

31 – Detroit Lions – Jaquan Brisker, Safety, Penn State

This is a spot where the Lions could absolutely take a swing at a Quarterback. If they do I’d look for a toolsy developmental guy either Willis or Desmond Ridder to come and sit for a year behind Jared Goff. However, because none of this class really pops to me and because Goff played well down the stretch (70% completion, 11 TDs and 2 INTs in his final 5 games) I have them going in a different direction. Their secondary has been a problem for a number of years under consecutive coaching staffs and their safety play in particular was atrocious in 2021. Jaquan Brisker and Jordan Battle are the second tier of safeties in this class, but I think Brisker is the superior coverage player and so I have gone with him here.

32 – Kansas City Chiefs – Roger McCreary, Corner, Auburn

My views on Kansas City’s corner situation is well known. L’Jarius Sneed is their best corner but he is a nickel guy primarily and they need better play on the boundary. There are three guys on the board who could come under consideration in this spot if a corner is the selection: McCreary, Trent McDuffie and Kaiir Elam but I think McCreary is the best man coverage guy of those three and in Spagnuolo’s scheme he wants to be able to bring the house and have his corners hold up outside.

Flame away!

I would do cartwheels if the bills landed Williams even after his ACL year that guy has Olympic track speed 

• Like (+1) 1

Love the Williams pick. The past couple years it has been evident this team needs to infuse more speed into the team. He has that in spades. I love that he also has some size and essentially takes care of our returner woes.  

I also love Olave. Guy is as smooth as silk. Easily looks to be the best route runner. A little slight of frame, but the dude can fly. If someone takes Williams ahead of Olave and he’s there for us, I’m taking him no questions asked. 

London is an incredible catcher of the football. Great hands catcher, shielder, and high point guy. He can get down the field, but he looks to lack that top end speed and suddenness Williams and Olave offer. I wouldn’t hate the pick, but I would prioritize Williams or Olave over London simply because I think they have more of what this team needs - speed, speed, and more speed. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, T master said:

Sorry but i disagree with this pick that position is 1 of strength and there are others that need a lot more than that one i hope they don't go that route !! 

Lol, it's arguably the Bills' biggest need. We only have 3 WRs on the team at the moment (who belong on an active roster). And Beasley is a strong candidate to get cut.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Nope.  No way.  No how.  

McKenzie will take Beasely's spot in the slot or we will bring in a younger and cheaper FA as well.

We only have two of our starting 5 WRs under contract next year if Beasley doesn’t accept a restructure and we only have 1 pass catching te the lines can be added in rounds 3 and 4 we need to get a Josh a weapon or two early in this draft 

1 minute ago, Process said:

Lol, it's arguably the Bills' biggest need. We only have 3 WRs on the team at the moment (who belong on an active roster). And Beasley is a strong candidate to get cut.

Totally agree!! And we only have real 1 TE on the roster we need another one of those too 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just think they value those positions more than receiver unfortunately.

That might be true but when Brandon Beane says he follows the board I think the evidence for the most part supports that assessment. Cody Ford sort of stands out as the one possible exception where we know they were after a tackle.

20 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

This is pretty solid Gunner. Love the BIlls taking WR #1 honestly.

I'm hoping the #18 pick slides to us at #25 though. Williams is a stud if/when healthy but a gamble. Burks is a YAC animal that we really need badly, he also has great Size and vertical leap which is a huge RZ asset for JA17. 

The Saints is one of my least confident picks. They could go almost any position other than defensive back and interior offensive line IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Love the Williams pick. The past couple years it has been evident this team needs to infuse more speed into the team. He has that in spades. I love that he also has some size and essentially takes care of our returner woes.  

I also love Olave. Guy is as smooth as silk. Easily looks to be the best route runner. A little slight of frame, but the dude can fly. If someone takes Williams ahead of Olave and he’s there for us, I’m taking him no questions asked. 

London is an incredible catcher of the football. Great hands catcher, shielder, and high point guy. He can get down the field, but he looks to lack that top end speed and suddenness Williams and Olave offer. I wouldn’t hate the pick, but I would prioritize Williams or Olave over London simply because I think they have more of what this team needs - speed, speed, and more speed. 

Agree with all this. Pure tape evaluation I have the receivers

#1 Olave

#2 Williams

=#3 Burks and London

But as I keep saying I don't expect there to be much consensus league wide on the order of these guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Agree the college QB play this year was nothing spectacular but I think there are too many QB needy teams for only 1 QB to go in the first round.  Every year a team has reached on a 3-4th round QB prospect because they are desperate.  I expect the same this year 2-3 QBs minimum round 1. 

The problem with the McGahee thing is who the passed on. Thats team could have used a tight end like Dallas Clark. Ruben Brown was out so Eric Steinbach would have made a ton of sense. Maybe a corner like Nnamdi Asomugha to replace Antoine Winfield.

This is especially true when you consider they signed UDFA Fred Jackson that year. Tony Romo was there too. 

Remember that this is the same draft where they passed on Osi Umenioyra, Jason Witten, and Anquan Boldin to draft Chris Kelsay. Then they went Terence McGee right in front of Asante Samuel. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

Agree the college QB play this year was nothing spectacular but I think there are too many QB needy teams for only 1 QB to go in the first round.  Every year a team has reached on a 3-4th round QB prospect because they are desperate.  I expect the same this year 2-3 QBs minimum round 1. 

I have 2 - Pickett and Corral and I think those two WILL go in the 1st. I think a 3rd probably will, but it is a lottery as to who....

Probably Malik Willis would be my guess but could be Ridder, Howell, Strong. 

I don't think more than 3 will. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Process said:

Diggs, Davis, Kumero, Beasley, Hodgins, Stevenson, yes i wouldn't mind getting one in the draft but not in the first round and the fact that seeing as he blew out his knee i'm thinking that he may fall so why not wait a bit and fortify other spots if you could get him in a better spot ?

I'm not sure why you think Beasley is a candidate to get cut Beane said in his presser that Bease is still playing at a high level & his numbers this year were close to what they were last year & he has 1 more year on his contract i believe .

So with the cap being what it is i don't see them cutting a good player just because & have what ever the amount of dead money on the cap .

Plus knowing Beane he will probably find a FA or 2 that would come here because of Josh . I think Mckenzie is gone for sure but i don't think Beasley is going anywhere but that's just me .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, T master said:

Diggs, Davis, Kumero, Beasley, Hodgins, Stevenson, yes i wouldn't mind getting one in the draft but not in the first round and the fact that seeing as he blew out his knee i'm thinking that he may fall so why not wait a bit and fortify other spots if you could get him in a better spot ?

I'm not sure why you think Beasley is a candidate to get cut Beane said in his presser that Bease is still playing at a high level & his numbers this year were close to what they were last year & he has 1 more year on his contract i believe .

So with the cap being what it is i don't see them cutting a good player just because & have what ever the amount of dead money on the cap .

Plus knowing Beane he will probably find a FA or 2 that would come here because of Josh . I think Mckenzie is gone for sure but i don't think Beasley is going anywhere but that's just me .

Beane also said in his presser "Cole can still play in this league" if that isn't code for "his skills have declined but some team below us in the pecking order could probably still use him" I'm not sure what is.

• Agree 3

25 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Nope.  No way.  No how.  

This shows you know nothing about drafting in the nfl.  Zilch sir

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I'm also thinking that they'll go WR in R1,  but my way-too-early prediction is Jahan Dotson. 

I am wary on Dotson. Admittedly have more work to do on him but I don't see a first round player there. Struggles with his get off at the line against any sort of physicality and for a guy with his speed he is kinda disappointing after the catch. If we don't go receiver day 1 I'd be interested in him day 2. 

4 minutes ago, T master said:

Kumerow is a career special teamer. Hodgins is a former 6th round pick who has appeared in 1 game and has 0 career catches. Stevenson is awful and will not be playing WR in an NFL regular season game any time soon.

Again, we currently only have 3 WRs on the roster, one whose skills are declining and very likely won't be on the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.