Bass didn't get the memo (Joe B All-22)?

TPS

2 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

If they did, the pooch would have worked perfectly. Having to go 65 yards in 13 seconds instead of 45 would have worked greatly in our favor.

Bass lined up 7 steps back from the ball on the kickoff. When he was purposely pooching earlier in the season(very well so by the way), he would line up 3-5 steps back. He wasn’t communicated the call and that  is on the two ST coaches and on McDermott. Inexcusable.

I agree.

This is on the coaches including McCoach. Mr. Detail surely saw how he was lined up and -- IF the call was to squib it rather than kick deep (and I am not sure it was) -- surely they would have noticed how deep he was and called a TO or got his attention rather than let happen what happened.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

The team was 0-6 in one score games.  That can’t be dumb luck, they were flawed. The entire offseason should be spent trying to correct it.

They were 6-1 last year with the same coaches and pretty much the same players. I don’t think that was dumb luck, either. 

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

It starting to look like Bills PR guys flooding sites with coverup posts,  let's just say it was 1/3 part of one of biggest coaching meltdowns in NFL playoff history.

Our coach(es) snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Just now, K-9 said:

They were 6-1 last year with the same coaches and pretty much the same players. I don’t think that was dumb luck, either. 

it is going to be very interesting to see what happens next year. McCoach has been blessed with relatively easy schedules and relatively healthy squads.

If I recall correctly, we were only 2-4 against playoff teams.  We also screwed the pooch against Jacksonville of all teams. Ugh.

We had a great opportunity to host the AFC Championship game - and should have. I have to believe that it would have been much more likely than not that we would have beaten the Bengals and would be in the SB.

Such a wasted opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Our coach(es) snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I think it's fair to say Sean may have used his last Mulligan on that game,  yes he has turned things around for this franchise and no one should even think about replacing him after this season.  Having said I also do believe starting next season i don't see him being let off the hook that easy if these kinds of coaching miscues and conservative thinking continue.  

Fans should keep in mind that both McCarthy with Green Bay and Peterson with Eagles won Super Bowls and they got removed, so he needs to do some soul searching this offseason and stop coaching not to lose because I don't see Pegulas wasting Allen's prime years.

Edited by Niagara Dude
spelling
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Fans should keep in mind that both McCarthy with Green Bay and Peterson with Eagles won Super Bowls and they got removed, so he needs to do some soul searching this offseason and stop coaching not to lose because I don't see Pegulas wasting Allen prime years.

Fire his ass right after he wins a Super Bowl!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If it was a middle of the season game in the 2nd quarter I can see something falling thru the cracks. This was as high a leverage situation McD has ever been in. He doesn't have the luxury of screwing up communication. No matter how it happened. And Tyler Bass also has to have some common sense or if he's not sure, ASK? I think the play call made it to the players but for some inexcusable reason McD & Bass were not on the same page.

I can only go by what I see on the broadcast.  Several times I’ve seen shots of a FG kicker warming up into the net, even late in a game.  There was one game I recall where a team had to call a timeout because “they couldn’t find the kicker”.  What do they do, leave him by himself and then whistle for him to come?

I don’t know if a similar scenario takes place before a kickoff.  One would think the kicker would be paying attention to what’s going on and maybe stand close to his coach, but what do I know.

Things can likely get pretty chaotic on the sidelines in a big game like this, but that’s why they pay the head coach the big bucks.  I would also rather have a coach be micromanaging than assuming everybody knew what they were supposed to do.  

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

This is a no brainer play. There shouldn't even have to been any communication from the sideline to know what to do in that situation. It's fundamental football. 

Exactly. McD said they practice this every week, so for me it's another Billsy WTF moment in our history.  No way we should have let that game slide away. If I'm the kicker I would have to believe the pooch is the automatic call to drain time.  They played scared for 13 seconds and it cost us a season and chance to win the Super Bowl. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

If they did, the pooch would have worked perfectly. Having to go 65 yards in 13 seconds instead of 45 would have worked greatly in our favor.

Bass lined up 7 steps back from the ball on the kickoff. When he was purposely pooching earlier in the season(very well so by the way), he would line up 3-5 steps back. He wasn’t communicated the call and that  is on the two ST coaches and on McDermott. Inexcusable.

I have a whole thread explaining that.  If Bass didn't get the memo then as a coverage guy watching him line up 7 yards back I'd have screamed at him wtf

4 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

If you’re a smart football player you would think you would QA with the head coach what he wants. 

if I were Bass and I wasn’t told to squib it I’d go over to the HC and confirm he wants me to kick it out of the EZ. And if he said no I’d recommend squibbing it anyway. Sometimes players need to think for themselves some too

Actually an interesting point.  In todays NFL, and to a much greater or worse extent in college , players have had almost all of their decision making done on a play to play basis by the coaches.  Its not enough to have a guy with a mic in his helmet, but they have armbands, hand signals, large cue cards , etc on the sidelines as players have essentially lost all their ability to go play to play or are not allowed to have a down “ unsupervised or un-coached” I am guessing as it’s seen to be so fact filled to be trusted for any time without input.  These guys are so regimented in every aspect of their day to day lives regarding their football careers and playing days , that maybe they just can’t make any decisions without input, so they stick to routine so much so that they , especially young players or rookies, don’t expect to ask questions or speak much.

Rather than question someone , they might just feel they are expected to be obedient, so if the coach didn’t get the message to Bass, he just stayed quiet and went to do his routine job. It even showed up regarding the Kelce plays. Guys, lineman and dbs, were were within earshot of Kelces  conversation with Mahomes and then Mahomes yelling for Kelce to do it , and a d lineman ( a young, inexperienced obada ) was within 3 feet of Kelce at the line , yet no one moved an inch to press him off the line! They just stood in place , like good soldiers obeying what they were coached to do even tho I could never fathom that would have happened with the 90’s team/ players; they were too intelligent and they freelanced all the time.  Freelance now and you will be benched by McD!  It just goes to show they have complicated the game so much that now every moved is micromanaged and not without coaching input!  No freelancing , and Heaven forbid if you do something on your own even when based on your football intelligence and Iq, it’s just not acceptable. It’s such a rigid environment that individual decision making , and thinking on your feet, is outdated!  😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.