Bass didn't get the memo (Joe B All-22)?

TPS

20 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

The difference is you need to be present with your team while the play is being called. They have the entire prior possession to kick balls in a net; it’s not like the situations you cite. 

You think that it was difficult to get Bass the play because he warms up with the net when he’s not busy?  I’m pretty sure he is used to kicking an XP, then getting the play call for the kickoff.  He would not have been warming up between The XP and KO anyway.  The issue here is that a play call got made - which he got - and then it got changed - which he didn’t get.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 2

I believe the excitement of the moment may have impacted communication as well. These are human beings, after all. Tough to not be overwhelmed by the moment. Still.... no excuse. 

I believe the excitement of the moment may have impacted communication as well. These are human beings, after all. Tough to not be overwhelmed by the moment. Still.... no excuse. 

1 minute ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers ....

3 minutes ago, Redneck said:

I wonder if KC, who is very well-coached, would have downed any ball not near the end zone, figuring their best shot was giving Mahomes 2 shots to get into FG range.  Easy to call that now, with a week to think/re-think about it.

that would have been great for us  if they started at the 15 or 10 instead of the 25. They would have likely been trying a Hail Mary at the 45 or 50 yard line instead of opting for a 63 yard Fg.

If they did, the pooch would have worked perfectly. Having to go 65 yards in 13 seconds instead of 45 would have worked greatly in our favor.

Bass lined up 7 steps back from the ball on the kickoff. When he was purposely pooching earlier in the season(very well so by the way), he would line up 3-5 steps back. He wasn’t communicated the call and that  is on the two ST coaches and on McDermott. Inexcusable.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

You people here actually want someone fired over this? Clueless. Micro-managers. Always looking for a reason to blame someone else. It's over. It's a game. It's not life or death. For the last two plus years every time something wasn't perfect, you people here just post and complain. Miserable!

31 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You think that it was difficult to get Bass the play because he warms up with the net when he’s not busy?  I’m pretty sure he is used to kicking an XP, then getting the play call for the kickoff.  He would not have been warming up between The XP and KO anyway.  The issue here is that a play call got made - which he got - and then it got changed - which he didn’t get.

So how come the other players got

the call and he did not?  Apparently he wasn’t present with everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The thing is, this sort of decision needs to be made every single time the kicker kicks off!  It happens several times in every game! 

You would think they would have a bullet proof ironed out method for selecting the type of kick and getting that information to the kicker.  Something that cannot fail.

The fact that it failed, in the worst possible moment, should be a firing offense for someone.

Mickey Mouse Hour!

What you are looking for is a sacrificial lamb, that’s not how good operations solve their problems.

• Agree 2

Throwing Bass under the bus still doesn't explain sending out your defense in an alignment that allowed Mahomes to play 20 yard pitch-and-catch with Hill and Kelce on two consecutive plays in the middle of the field while you had the defense way too far off the LOS while also guarding the sidelines when the Chiefs had 3 timeouts in their pocket.  Starting at the 25 they still needed 40 yards give or take and McDermott/Frazier were so afraid of the big play they forgot about stopping two consecutive smaller chunk plays.  To boot they called a time out before each of those plays and still didn't adjust anything.  So if they missed communicating on the kick off that was probably the least of the mistakes they committed in those 3 plays. 

That's a situation that an NFL defense should never mess up.  Never.  Its unforgivable.  Especially in a playoff game, a 3 point lead, 13 seconds left, the opponent needing 40+ yards to attempt a game tying FG before time expires.  It's a 1 in a million shot to lose there and the Bills hit it.     

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Throwing Bass under the bus still doesn't explain sending out your defense in an alignment that allowed Mahomes to play 20 yard pitch-and-catch with Hill and Kelce on two consecutive plays in the middle of the field while you had the defense way too far off the LOS while also guarding the sidelines when the Chiefs had 3 timeouts in their pocket.  Starting at the 25 they still needed 40 yards give or take and McDermott/Frazier were so afraid of the big play they forgot about stopping two consecutive smaller chunk plays.  To boot they called a time out before each of those plays and still didn't adjust anything.  So if they missed communicating on the kick off that was probably the least of the mistakes they committed in those 3 plays. 

That's a situation that an NFL defense should never mess up.  Never.  Its unforgivable.  Especially in a playoff game, a 3 point lead, 13 seconds left, the opponent needing 40+ yards to attempt a game tying FG before time expires.  It's a 1 in a million shot to lose there and the Bills hit it.     

Agree with all this, however this is not the place for it. This is the place to light our pitchforks on fire over Bass being MIA for the playcall. 

joel mchale pitchfork GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

The difference is you need to be present with your team while the play is being called. They have the entire prior possession to kick balls in a net; it’s not like the situations you cite. 

The special teams captain, not the  kicker, should’ve involved in the coaches decision.  That player, or players, then relays it on the sideline to the others and AGAIN, on the field in the huddle.  I played on kickoff teams.  We know what the plan is BEFORE we trot onto the field.  

The kicker or punter warming up is fine, but he should know what to do before he gets on the field and this should be REAFFIRMED once again, on the field.  

If this didn’t happen then it is a massive PROCESS breakdown. 

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

All 22 on athletic came out this morning so not “old news”

All 22 review has been out, this is Joe bs article which is days late with this news...

FWIW, bass was kicking into the net, the other 10 guys heard the call for a pooch kick, no one told Bass. Neal threw his hands up like what the heck after, the Bills players usually run through the end zone on kickoffs through the end zone they stopped short blah blah blah.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, TPS said:

In his weekly look at the film, Joe B suggests things point to Bass not getting the word on the kick-off, given the reaction of Johnson and Neal (I'm unable to include the photos):

1. The ’13 seconds’ meltdown and what the film shows

https://theathletic.com/3099135/2022/01/29/clues-to-the-bills-13-seconds-meltdown-and-josh-allens-remarkable-brilliance-all-22-film-review/

The whole process is no good,  you tell me that don't have a system in place where players covering kicks don't talk at all with the kicker to know which side he is kicking towards?  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.