Do you really want a rookie Offensive Coordinator ?

HOUSE

19 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

If you like gambling, sure

It's a gamble no matter who you choose. 

We also don't know what, if any, opportunities they gave Dorsey this past season to groom him for the job.  

We don't know what kind of coordinator  Josh needs, and if Josh is going to play a larger role in calling his own plays.

We do know Josh really likes Dorsey and endorses him.

An experienced coordinator may be stuck in his own ways and could fail badly.

I'm going to trust the FO and Josh to make the best choice for them.  I think McD more then realizes the weapon he has in JA and isn't looking to go ultra conservative  anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

What I care about is continuity and keeping Josh comfortable.  The new OC needs to understand it is not about him or his scheme, it is about Josh and making/keeping him successful.  If I'm McD the requirement for the new OC is work with Josh and implement the things he is most comfortable with

Edited by stevewin
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Dorsey was a 2 time Heisman finalist with Miami. He has been a performance coach with IMG, similar to what Palmer does.

from 2013-2018 Dorsey was the QB coach in Carolina. (Newton's 3rd year) This time frame correlated with Cam Newton improving and earning MVP honors in 2015.

On March 26, 2018, Dorsey was hired to serve as the assistant director of athletics for the sports program at Florida International University effective April 2018. Former Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was quoted as saying "He'll bring a newness and spark to FIU. Not only is he a hard worker, but he has a vibrant killer instinct. He's a known proven winner over the years."

in 2019 Dorsey was brought in as Buffalo QB coach for Allen's second year. A year later Allen was a top 5 selection for NFL MVP.

He is a proven QB coach. 1 MVP and a runner up. He clearly has a 'type' he is successful with. He has been an assistant to Mike Shula and Daboll, two very good OC minds.

I think we forget that prior to this season Dorsey was promoted to passing game coordinator/ QB coach. The passing game took a few games to adjust, but ended with Allen's nearly perfect game vs Hoodie and the Pats, and another spectacular performance against KC.

I fully believe the promotion to passing game coordinator/ QB coach was to keep Dorsey in house, and to give him more OC responsibilities and groom him for this opportunity.

my 2 cents

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gjv001 said:

I'm hoping that Dorsey is an outstanding Offense Coordinator just waiting for his opportunity. Would very much like to see the Bills promoting from within because the best candidate for OC is already on the payroll.

Oh boy...

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Now is not the time to fool around with an experiment hoping the next guy can do the job. This is a high powered offense and defenses around the NFL will come up with new strategy to stop it. There is a learning curve here, do you have the necessary  patience ?

Sure you do.....😁, We are a very forgiving bunch here....:sick:

Enter a rookie OC.....

image.png.855fa640bcfd2eba2449a085a9d85dfc.png

Sorry Guys, I want an experienced OC with a proven track record. The Next guy needs to be an upgrade over Daboll, not a settled for rookie

Time is wasting away, the window won't be open forever...Rookie coaches are for expansion teams or bottom feeders, not a Superbowl Contender

Dorsey is the only first timer I look at simply due to the familiarity with Josh, the offense, the scheme and the fact he was a really freaking good college qb (makes me feel better at last that he understands game flow and the game from the qb position, which I feel is important.

After him my list and I feel McDs and Beane's is to look at experience and candidates who have at least been to a superbowl and played in those situations. Not only do the players need it, but that experience is necessary with the coaching staff too...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Now is not the time to fool around with an experiment hoping the next guy can do the job. This is a high powered offense and defenses around the NFL will come up with new strategy to stop it. There is a learning curve here, do you have the necessary  patience ?

Enter a rookie OC.....

Sorry Guys, I want an experienced OC with a proven track record. The Next guy needs to be an upgrade over Daboll, not a settled for rookie

Time is wasting away, the window won't be open forever...Rookie coaches are for expansion teams or bottom feeders, not a Superbowl Contender

Lol you think they are going to hire someone who never coached at any level before?

1 hour ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

Hire the best guy, experience as an OC is not required, eliminating that entire population would be a mistake.

Experience is required, this person will be the HC of the offense Dorsey is the only young unproven guy who gets a look for the obvious reasons...

There person they hire needs to understand our scheme as well and not be a WC only guy or such either. They need to understand who we are, how we are built, lean on what works and expand with what fits us. 

9 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Dorsey was a 2 time Heisman finalist with Miami. He has been a performance coach with IMG, similar to what Palmer does.

from 2013-2018 Dorsey was the QB coach in Carolina. (Newton's 3rd year) This time frame correlated with Cam Newton improving and earning MVP honors in 2015.

On March 26, 2018, Dorsey was hired to serve as the assistant director of athletics for the sports program at Florida International University effective April 2018. Former Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was quoted as saying "He'll bring a newness and spark to FIU. Not only is he a hard worker, but he has a vibrant killer instinct. He's a known proven winner over the years."

in 2019 Dorsey was brought in as Buffalo QB coach for Allen's second year. A year later Allen was a top 5 selection for NFL MVP.

He is a proven QB coach. 1 MVP and a runner up. He clearly has a 'type' he is successful with. He has been an assistant to Mike Shula and Daboll, two very good OC minds.

I think we forget that prior to this season Dorsey was promoted to passing game coordinator/ QB coach. The passing game took a few games to adjust, but ended with Allen's nearly perfect game vs Hoodie and the Pats, and another spectacular performance against KC.

I fully believe the promotion to passing game coordinator/ QB coach was to keep Dorsey in house, and to give him more OC responsibilities and groom him for this opportunity.

my 2 cents

yep.  getter done McD

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

“Bills pass on McDermott and Beane, want a coach and GM with experience.”

It's a tad bit different now than back in 2017. We were the giants in 2017....

37 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

So you wanna keep recycling the same crop of fired head coaches and offensive coordinators because that’s all that’s left out there?

Bellicheck has the same record as Rex Ryan without Brady...

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Oh boy...

But isn’t that the case of every hire? We hope it pays off but who knows if it does or not. Pederson was mentioned earlier in the thread but he eventually oversaw a dumpster fire in Philadelphia which tipped Wentz over the edge towards hatred of the guy - what if that happens with Josh? We hope it doesn’t.

As he has overseen the development of Josh and our offensive game I would be fine, more than happy, with Dorsey as OC. If he moves to the Giants then my pick would be Bill Musgrave. Either way, as long as Josh is involved in the process and 100% happy with the outcome, considering the limitations which may be in place such as Dorsey wanting to go, then I’m happy with that.

45 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

S

Should Dorsey go to the Giants he will have the advantage of having the experience of Brian Daboll. Dorsey in Buffalo will have McD. Who was never an offensive coordinator. I like Dorsey, but it is a gamble

It is a bigger gamble for the Bills than the Giants because of the level of responsibility that he will have but I think they do have some idea of what he wiill do after promoting him to passing game coordinator. McDermott and Beane had him in Carolina and brought him here. I think an interesting hire if Dorsey is OC will be QB coach. Shea Tierney would be natural promotion but he’s a daboll guy, anticipate he and asst Ol coach Ryan Wendell go to NYG

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Enter a rookie OC.....

I still remember the years after Kelly left where we thought having a big name coordinator made a difference on how our offence looked and performed..  End of the day it's all about the most important player on the field.  Allen is a top 2-3 player and QB in the NFL and he will make his next coordinator a lot of fame &  money.  So if Dorsey leaves the Bills will have plenty of options.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.