Rather excited to have a new OC

78thealltimegreat

here's my thought on this. You KNOW #17 is going to have major input into this hiring situation. Not to deify Josh Allen but I have faith and trust in HIM and His choices and input...That's the person that will be hired to steer the Bills offensive ship.  Someone who works well and vibes with #17....There is no way in Heck that a new guy comes into 1bd and attempts to revamp Everything and results in regressing this team....... #17 won't have it and frankly they would ferret out a candidates views in interviews and discard anyone who was that stoopid lol

m

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Will the new OC get his choices when it’s time to go grocery shopping? Instead of Frosty Flakes, can he get Tony the Tiger or will they tell him “sorry son we can’t afford Kellogg’s” Shades of my childhood 

He’ll get the cereal that Josh tells him to get and no excuses.

If this happened before this year I would've been worried, but I think Josh will be elite regardless of who they hire. Besides Daboll had so many stretches of head scratching playcalling.

Whoever they hire will get with Josh and keep the plays he likes and he will bring with him some new plays. A fresh set of eyes and thinking might get us a couple more wins when the offense struggles, Daboll didn't seem to have too many answers when that happened. The offense on any given day either worked or it didn't.

19 minutes ago, foreboding said:

I like Dorsey, especially if Josh does. However, I worry, as he is young and Josh revered Daboll as a father/uncle figure. I wonder, does 17 want a seasoned, older guy who has years of wisdom and advice to impart?...and will Dorsey command the same level of respect from Josh?

Josh already said he should get the job. He already respects him. That and is game experience at QB makes Ken the perfect candidate!

• Like (+1) 1

I would have rather seen Frazier go but it is what it is. I like Daboll, I think he deserved a HC shot so congrats to him.

I think keeping Dorsey is the best option to keep the offensive train rolling. Continuity is a big element in sustained success. I think Dorsey would keep the concepts/terminology in place and then put his own wrinkles in with input from Josh. 

We need to include concepts that allow us to #1) Get more YAC #2) Less reliance on Josh’s legs. It blows my mind that nearly all our air yards were do to Josh and the WR catching with little YAC. That needs to be tweaked. As for Josh running, it will always be an element of his game but we have to start thinking long term durability. It will always be there if everything else is failing and they say “Ok Josh just do whatever you need to do” but it seemed to me we were way too reliant on his legs, especially in short yardage. We need to have other options which will only make Josh’s runs more effective when we do use him.

I believe two things can be true at the same time: 1) DaBoll did a great job developing Allen and building a potent Bills offense and 2) It's time for a fresh OC to take Allen & the Bills offense to the next level.

DaBoll's work with Allen is done.  Going forward it's about turning Allen and the Bills offense into championship form for the next decade. Consistency is the next and last hurdle.

At the very least if the Bills get a good OC the difference will give Buffalo a real advantage through the first half of the 2022 season. It's hard enough to defense Allen but you have to think that AFC East teams and teams like KC/Tenn are at least getting an idea of how to do it schematically from having played against DaBolls O as much as they have.  Now all bets will be off.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

What we had was going to turn Allen into hamburger in three years.

I would argue otherwise.  How did Joe Burrow get hurt again?

I think QBs get injured more often while taking sacks/being brought down in or near the pocket, with tacklers and/or their linemen collapsing into them as they try to hang in there & get the throw off.

17 is elite at setting up blocks, running right off the hip of his blockers & taking what is there while absorbing a minimum of hard shots.  At 6'5" and 245 lbs with sneaky speed and quicks, he has even delivered a few himself.  When you take off & run, you usually get to prepare for and choose if & how you absorb any contact.  Josh also has an uncanny ability to make the first tackler miss.  We shouldn't shelve those skills just so some fans sleep easier.  Daboll smartly increased his reliance on Josh's running skills with very succesful designed runs to get 3rd/4th & shorts in our more recent games.

Josh also likes to "get air" which is a higher injury risk (and which he should probably curtail a little bit).  But through Josh's first 4 years, injuries and concussions have not yet been an issue.

• Like (+1) 1

McD has always been defense first and no idea how much input he has on the offense but we know it is considerable. Again we look at Sunday and those runs after seven yard gains on first down and you wonder.  

Yes I will go back to the first two years with Josh Allen and you saw how the offense worked. They were scared. A new offensive coordinator hopefully has the wherewithal to make sure that McDermott doesn't override him.

Next year's schedule looks much tougher and certainly playing some better QB's. Hope this means the offense is opened up.

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

McD has always been defense first and no idea how much input he has on the offense but we know it is considerable. Again we look at Sunday and those runs after seven yard gains on first down and you wonder.  

Yes I will go back to the first two years with Josh Allen and you saw how the offense worked. They were scared. A new offensive coordinator hopefully has the wherewithal to make sure that McDermott doesn't override him.

Next year's schedule looks much tougher and certainly playing some better QB's. Hope this means the offense is opened up.

I will assume that you maintain autonomy with your boss at your job. Is that the way this works now? Cripes, McDermott is the boss and has the right to say and do anything he believes is the best for his team. No team has coordinators that cannot be overruled, or managed by the head coach. Neither does a corporation. Ultimately, if a boss fails then the entire staff is under fire. There is no situation where subordinates are not responsible to their boss.

We get that you don’t like McD. However, you can’t change the way these things work.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.