Rather excited to have a new OC

78thealltimegreat

First let me say I like Daboll I wish him well he’s going to need it with arguably the best defensive player in football in Micah Parsons chasing around his QB twice a year.

But it was time for a change.

Brian got incredibly reliant on Josh’s legs to bail him out of situations where he’d run out of solutions it was almost like in case of 3rd and 3 or less break glass deal. 

It also sounds like based on Beanes and McDermotts comments the offense was going to change anyway as they wanted to build up the running game as a way to protect Josh.

Also while many are paranoid about a new OC in Buffalo look at Dabolls OC record before getting here. He wasn’t exactly the next Bill Walsh 

So let the front office work nine coaches got let go this offseason with some quality people on those staffs

see Greg Olson out in Las Vegas for example and ironically he was up for the job last time 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I fear that we all may learn that the grass isn’t always 525nm of wavelength on the other side.

This'n.

Hopefully the new guy will do a great job. But there's likely to be adjustment, which will take time. And some new hires fail. Some do terrific, but some fail.

40 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

First let me say I like Daboll I wish him well he’s going to need it with arguably the best defensive player in football in Micah Parsons chasing around his QB twice a year.

Brian got incredibly reliant on Josh’s legs to bail him out of situations where he’d run out of solutions it was almost like in case of 3rd and 3 or less break glass deal. 

It also sounds like based on Beanes and McDermotts comments the offense was going to change anyway as they wanted to build up the running game as a way to protect Josh.

Also while many are paranoid about a new OC in Buffalo look at Dabolls OC record before getting here. He wasn’t exactly the next Bill Walsh 

So let the front office work nine coaches got let go this offseason with some quality people on those staffs

see Greg Olson out in Las Vegas for example and ironically he was up for the job last time 

Daboll's been terrific.

The tendency for fans is to give the QB credit for the good stuff and blame the OC for the bad stuff.

That's how it has worked here, and Daboll has caught a lot of unwarranted crap over it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not excited at all. What we had was working. This sort of reminds me when Ted Marchibroda left the Bills after the 91 season. People rationalized we lost 2 SB’s and the change wouldn’t be a big deal. Maybe it wasn’t because they went to 2 more in a row but the offense was never the same after the 91 season.

As said earlier, the grass is not always greener.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Daboll and Allen really hit a groove towards the end of the season and the playoffs. Hate to break that up, but if it’s Dorsey, hopefully we won’t miss much of a beat. Former QBs turned OCs usually do pretty well if I’m not mistaken.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Beast said:

I’m not excited at all. What we had was working. This sort of reminds me when Ted Marchibroda left the Bills after the 91 season. People rationalized we lost 2 SB’s and the change wouldn’t be a big deal. Maybe it wasn’t because they went to 2 more in a row but the offense was never the same after the 91 season.

What we had was going to turn Allen into hamburger in three years.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hopefully the new guy will do a great job. But there's likely to be adjustment, which will take time. And some new hires fail. Some do terrific, but some fail

True, but chance of success for them are much greater with a top QB. Allen is certainly that and also with the talent around him makes chances even better. I'd say the new OC's probability of success is very much greater than not with this offensive roster.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

The oline got worse and Kelly was 32 years old going on 42 in 1992.  

This isn't the same and personally I still believe this team was good enough to win it - but not enough talent to overcome an off day from Josh.  And in our 6 losses this year that's almost exactly what happened. 

Especially after White got hurt.  When you go over the "injuries you just may not overcome outside of QB" this team has 2 maybe 3 where if one got hurt we were in big trouble.  White, Diggs, and probably Milano.  I mean we lost Spencer Brown and the oline looked like a hot mess.  

The roster needs to upgrade at DB and the skill positions on offense first  - find more IOL guys absolutely but they played well against NE and KC in their places down the stretch and real improvement overall so it wasn't the crises it was after Jacksonville.  

D line - if a trade is there make it but you invested enough draft capital on it we have to get more out of AJ Groot Boogie Ed Harry - that's the core.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Parsons is better than Aaron Donald? He’s very good, probably a top-3 LB already. He doesn’t come close to Donald as the top defensive player in the league though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not falling for this trap thinking again.

Last time I thought like this "we were the number 4 defense, just imagine what REX can do with it!"

F it up is what he did with it.

Dorsey is the only good option to me as the playbook could stay similar and he's so familiar with Josh (and Josh publicly loves him). But now it looks like Dorsey to Gints.

I had plenty of problems with Daboll's play calling in certain circumstances, but "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't" 

• Eyeroll 1

I'm not.  Daboll had the offense playing at elite level against Belichick and Andy Reid of all coaches in playoff football.  They had no answer for this offense and is the only OC Josh ever had however I'll try and think positive trusting Allen is ready to adapt to anything at this point.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

This isn't the same and personally I still believe this team was good enough to win it - but not enough talent to overcome an off day from Josh.  And in our 6 losses this year that's almost exactly what happened. 

Especially after White got hurt.  When you go over the "injuries you just may not overcome outside of QB" this team has 2 maybe 3 where if one got hurt we were in big trouble.  White, Diggs, and probably Milano.  I mean we lost Spencer Brown and the oline looked like a hot mess.  

The roster needs to upgrade at DB and the skill positions on offense first  - find more IOL guys absolutely but they played well against NE and KC in their places down the stretch and real improvement overall so it wasn't the crises it was after Jacksonville.  

D line - if a trade is there make it but you invested enough draft capital on it we have to get more out of AJ Groot Boogie Ed Harry - that's the core.

Three of our seven losses had less to do with Josh having an off day - Titans, Bucs (particularly second half) and Chiefs last week - and were down to our defense leaking like a sieve and/or blown plays. Steelers, Jags, Colts and Pats? Yes, definitely Josh not being at his best and parts to all of the team crumbling (to differing extents) accordingly. One key thing I’d like to see next year is no blow out losses and being able to put up more than six points against anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I was only about ten at the time so Kelly's age never really registered...  We have Josh during Kelly's USFL age and hopefully he hasn't even come close to his prime.  But I struggle to see how peak Allen can get better... but I do hope he becomes more consistent and we get peak Allen more frequently.  

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It is funny to see the change in thinking on Daboll here. Considering JA’s development, I guess it’s to be expected. I agree with the OP though.

Daboll criminally overused JA’s legs on designed runs. Also, I feel it’s unforgivable that it took until the last month of the season to realize that running Singletary up the gut was pointless. The blocking scheme gets changed and Voila ….. we have a competent rushing attack???  Lazy coaching relying on a proven commodity ( Josh) and not putting your other important player ( #1 running back) in a position to succeed.

Don’t forget the inexplicable decisions : Not letting Josh throw in the first half of the first Pat’s game ….. OR SECOND QUARTER last week. If he was in a Bond movie, it would be called “ The man with the Golden Arm”…… yeah, but let’s restrain that????
     After an up an down season, even with an adjustment period, a good OC hire and some better talent on the O around Josh will do fine and there is a chance considerably better.

Better for me is Balanced with Josh not taking a beating unless Beast Mode is necessary, which it will be from time to time. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

So much for promoting Daboll to HC, making Dorsey OC and showing McDermott the door...

We'll see how disruptive this proves to be.

I thought about this too. Makes sense bc you have Frazier for D already. However a HC is a different skill set and I really don't think Daboll would have agreed to take his boss' job when he had atleast one other option likely two. I am sure the guys are friends and Daboll respects McD for giving him the keys to Josh for 4 years.  Some people have character.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HOF4LOU said:

I thought about this too. Makes sense bc you have Frazier for D already. However a HC is a different skill set and I really don't think Daboll would have agreed to take his boss' job when he had atleast one other option likely two. I am sure the guys are friends and Daboll respects McD for giving him the keys to Josh for 4 years.  Some people have character.  

Wait... your trying to say Daboll would not take the HC job here of McD was shown the door?  Daboll respects MCD to much to take what would be an amazing coaching gig in Buffalo with one of the most promising young QB's this NFL has seen in a long time? Really? NFL is a business and Daboll would of taken this gig in a HEART BEAT!

Edited by PrimeTime101

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.