What would you like to see from next years offense/ new OC?

warrior9

With word Daboll is gone, I want to reflect on what I think we can improve on schematically in our next offense. 

For me:

1) Utilization of Diggs: We rarely saw Diggs motion in to the slot, we RARELY saw crossing routes(which blows my mind), and most of his routes seemed to be outs and hitches. 

2) Less predictability in the run game: it seemed at though every time we were under center, it was a dive or we knew it was a run. I’d like to see more zones, motions(from FB/ TE), and plays that confuse using WR motions, misdirection. Etc

3) Pushing the ball downfield, attack the 10-15 yard area: With the emergence of Knox, I’d like to see us use him more and him get more targets in the middle of the field. It also seemed as though that we didn’t throw the ball down field as much this year, in my opinion. 

4) Gabe Davis.

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I Billieve you largely take what the defense gives you. Sometimes you just have to take a shot though....

I would also like to cur down Josh's runs about 75% during the regular season. This move would require more talent and depth at the RB position, imho.... We need to keep Josh healthy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, warrior9 said:

With word Daboll is gone, I want to reflect on what I think we can improve on schematically in our next offense. 

For me:

1) Utilization of Diggs: We rarely saw Diggs motion in to the slot, we RARELY saw crossing routes(which blows my mind), and most of his routes seemed to be outs and hitches. 

2) Less predictability in the run game: it seemed at though every time we were under center, it was a dive or we knew it was a run. I’d like to see more zones, motions(from FB/ TE), and plays that confuse using WR motions, misdirection. Etc

3) Pushing the ball downfield, attack the 10-15 yard area: With the emergence of Knox, I’d like to see us use him more and him get more targets in the middle of the field. It also seemed as though that we didn’t throw the ball down field as much this year, in my opinion. 

4) Gabe Davis.

3) and 4) especially for me. Allen has turned into a superb thrower on intermediate (10-20 yrds) routes. I’d like to see the next guy incorporate more opportunities for deep passes though. Granted, that may necessitate getting a true “burner” type WR in the building, but Allen has shown he can make those deep throws easily (I think back to early in the season, where Sanders was utilized on deep patterns really well.)

Davis absolutely needs to be involved next year. He needs 90%+ of the offensive snaps. He’s proven everything he needs to prove.

• Like (+1) 3

I'd like us not to rip up the scheme. So keel the E-P. 

And I absolutely, desperately do NOT want to see a "commitment to running the ball". 

If McDermott hires a run first coordinator then I will be off the McDermott train for the first time. This team needs to ride with Josh Allen. Do not take the ***** ball out of his hands any more than absolutely ***** necessary.  

• Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I want Josh calling his own plays, he's ready.

Josh is a Unique, generational talent, I trust him to know what works best for him and the offense to score points.

Get an OC that can assist Josh to do whatever Josh wants to do.  It's his team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Josh is a Unique, generational talent, I trust him to know what works best for him and the offense to score points.

Which Quarterback in the NFL calls their own plays? I'll hang up and listen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

More run game creativity and less of Josh being a part of it. (I would love to see them add Cordarrelle Patterson, as well as a young big strong--and fast--power back who can block and catch.)

And continuing to put pressure on the Defense by stretching the field, with the ability to take advantage of the short passing game when it is needed.

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

3) and 4) especially for me. Allen has turned into a superb thrower on intermediate (10-20 yrds) routes. I’d like to see the next guy incorporate more opportunities for deep passes though. Granted, that may necessitate getting a true “burner” type WR in the building, but Allen has shown he can make those deep throws easily (I think back to early in the season, where Sanders was utilized on deep patterns really well.)

Davis absolutely needs to be involved next year. He needs 90%+ of the offensive snaps. He’s proven everything he needs to prove.

I think the lack of the Bills deep passing this season more to do with our pass protection breaking down too quickly rather than lacking a burner WR.   Josh's YPA dropped from 7.9 in 2020 to 6.8 this season with only 8 passing plays over 40 yards which puts him well behind most of the other elite QBs in the league in those categories.  Opposing teams have probably adjusted their schemes more against the pass in fear of Josh Allen as well.  

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd like us not to rip up the scheme. So keel the E-P. 

And I absolutely, desperately do NOT want to see a "commitment to running the ball". 

If McDermott hires a run first coordinator then I will be off the McDermott train for the first time. This team needs to ride with Josh Allen. Do not take the ***** ball out of his hands any more than absolutely ***** necessary.  

Let’s change the wording a bit:

”A strong commitment to being able to run the ball when you need to.”

Perhaps the Bills got there towards the end of the season - it reinvigorated their offense.  Without the threat of a real run game everybody simply dropped safeties and took away the longer field. Additionally you want play action to be viable.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, stosh64 said:

That's why I think it'll be Dorsey. It's mutually beneficial. 

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

More run game creativity and less of Josh being a part of it. (I would love to see them add Cordarrelle Patterson, as well as a young big strong--and fast--power back who can block and catch.)

And continuing to put pressure on the Defense by stretching the field, with the ability to take advantage of the short passing game when it is needed.

A more dynamic do-it-all RB. I wouldn’t call Thurman a “power” RB, but he ran through a ton of arm tackles. Anyone Thurman like would be awesome. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

A more dynamic do-it-all RB. I wouldn’t call Thurman a “power” RB, but he ran through a ton of arm tackles. Anyone Thurman like would be awesome. 

I always thought Thurman's best skillset was his patience and field vision.  He had a great knack for letting plays develop, following blockers and finding the open seams.   Arguably it just takes a great OL to produce another Thurman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Lost said:

I always thought Thurman's best skillset was his patience and field vision.  He had a great knack for letting plays develop, following blockers and finding the open seams.   Arguably it just takes a great OL to produce another Thurman.

I see this same skillset in Breece Hall from Iowa State. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, stosh64 said:

Good lord.  

53 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

That's why I think it'll be Dorsey. It's mutually beneficial. 

I hope that it’s Dorsey, but he’s always seemed like a turd to me.  I think he’ll probably join Daboll…..and will follow Daboll  after they both get fired in 2-3 years.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.