If Dorsey leaves then what?

Niagara Dude

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

It's been a foregone conclusion all year that Daboll would get a HC job somewhere.  So are Bills trying to act like they're just getting started now, looking for a new OC?  That would be malpractice.  They should have been talking to Dorsey to see about his interest in the job, as well as making quiet inquiries around the league or colleges.  The Bills should have been in position to pull the chain on a new OC almost immediately after the Giants HC job was announced.  

Do you seriously think that McDermott and Beane haven't put in a lot of time on what to do if/when Daboll was to leave?

McDermott is meticulous about things like this and has a short list.  That being said a whole lot of other qualified NFL Offensive Assistant

Coaches would give their right arm to come to Buffalo as the OC.  Give OBD a few days to look at everything. 

43 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

My sense is the Bills want to promote from within. If Dorsey ends up with the Giants, I suspect Chad Hall will be considered. As a few posters have noted early in this thread, I think Pep Hamilton is an interesting outside name to consider.

If Dorsey goes, I would NOT want us to promote positional coaches to be a first time ever OC...with no play calling experience no less!   No way!

We are one of the best teams in the league and have an elite offense.

You don't hand this car over to whoever is standing around in the garage...you go out and get one of the best driver's in the world to manage it.

Bring in talent and experience from the outside please, and make the new guy's job finding a way to seamlessly connect his new offense to what Daboll did in the past, so the learning curve for Josh is lessened.

The heavy lifting should be on the new OC, not Josh.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

If Dorsey goes, I would NOT want us to promote positional coaches to be a first time ever OC...with no play calling experience no less!   No way!

We are one of the best teams in the league and have an elite offense.

You don't hand this car over to whoever is standing around in the garage...you go out and get one of the best driver's in the world to manage it.

Bring in talent and experience from the outside please, and make the new guy's job finding a way to seamlessly connect his new offense to what Daboll did in the past, so the learning curve for Josh is lessened.

The heavy lifting should be on the new OC, not Josh.

I'm not advocating for Chad Hall, I'm just surmising what I think they might do. They are in position to get the best available OC. Who wouldn't want to work with Josh?

34 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

"Who wants old retreads?"   That's what New England fans asked when they hired Bill Belichick.  And by Bills fans when we hired Brian Daboll. 

The accomplishments of an OC are limited by the talent of the offensive squad.  

Some experienced OCs will do great if you give him a QB like Josh.  We want one of those guys (if not Dorsey).

If you are evaluating OCs around the league based on final scores of their teams' games, you're doing it wrong.

Evaluate them on their offensive coordinating, which could be brilliant in a 3 TD loss.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not advocating for Chad Hall, I'm just surmising what I think they might do. They are in position to get the best available OC. Who wouldn't want to work with Josh?

It's not that someone wouldn't want to work with Josh, it's that some potential candidates might still be holding out for HC positions.

Doug Pederson comes to mind; I would put him near the top of my list but I'm not sure he is ready to take an OC job right now.  He's still probably waiting to get back into the league on the HC level.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

It's not that someone wouldn't want to work with Josh, it's that some potential candidates might still be holding out for HC positions.

Doug Pederson comes to mind; I would put him near the top of my list but I'm not sure he is ready to take an OC job right now.  He's still probably waiting to get back into the league on the HC level.

I share some of Gunner Bill's reservations on Pederson. His locker room was a complete wreck, though perhaps as OC that is not an issue. Another issue is Wentz regressed, though that may simply be a Wentz problem. So, I'm ambivalent, but could very well just be wrong about him. I certainly hope the Bills exercise patience and wait on a top tier candidate if they do not have one in hand, even if that means risking a fella might end up hired as a head coach somewhere. No reason for us to settle or just go with the familiar guy if there are better, excellent alternatives.

Anything that i have read is that Beane is looking to promote someone from with in the organization which i for one am hoping its Dorsey .

He is younger & has had a good history with in different offenses and has a good relationship with Josh and although he may bring some change to the offensive scheme he knows the verbiage & can keep some semblance of familiarity to it which will help in the transition .

I think it's Dorsey's time i hope Beane does too .

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

Anything that i have read is that Beane is looking to promote someone from with in the organization which i for one am hoping its Dorsey .

He is younger & has had a good history with in different offenses and has a good relationship with Josh and although he may bring some change to the offensive scheme he knows the verbiage & can keep some semblance of familiarity to it which will help in the transition .

I think it's Dorsey's time i hope Beane does too .

If I'm not mistaken, the next OC is McD's call, not Beane's.   

Though those two seem to collaborate really well on big decisions - I'm sure Beane will be involved.  

On 1/30/2022 at 10:49 AM, BrooklynBills said:

My worry with Brady is the little details of running an offense if he were to be the main guy. Very talented and creative coach but something in Carolina that was a problem was pass protection details. I think you'd need to pair him with other experienced offensive assistants. Not saying that isn't possible and there are coaches on the Saints staff that he would have relationships with that I'd be looking to poach but I don't think it's a situation where you could just drop him in as OC with our current staff.

I think Pederson is just more experienced for what we would need from the OC which really would be the #1 voice in the offensive room.

Dorsey would be somewhat status quo but with some question marks about how he will call games and lead weekly preparation. 

So I think my order would be:

1. Dorsey (and hope he takes the next steps as playcaller). Maybe bring in an experienced OC as an assistant.

2. Pederson

3. Brady

Im not all in on any of them.  Pederson as an Oc is questionable.  Seemed Riech had the scheme and creativity. The questions with Brady, does he have an NFL passing attack?  I believe Chris Simms questioned some things with his offense a few weeks before he was fired.  Obviously, Dorsey is an unknown.  Of the three give me continuity and maintain the same offensive principles.

On 1/30/2022 at 11:47 AM, Big Turk said:

I'd prefer Mike Shula...he was a fantastic OC...but I am sure he grew up hating the Bills...

Fun story: I am friends with his sister. He was a coach in Tampa at the time of SB 25. The Bills had SB victory tee shirts made that they left in the locker room after the game. Mike retrieved one for me. I am not sure where I have it. I never had the heart to wear it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.