Is Singletary good enough?

Ethan in Cleveland

Good enough in what respect? Good in an arbitrary sense? Good as a feature back?

I don’t see things so much in white or black, more so in shades of gray (please no 50 shades of gray jokes here), but is he “good enough” as far as the spectrum of good and bad RBs in the NFL goes? Yes. Absolutely. Even if Beane found us a “feature back”, Devin Singletary would be an A+ backup and worth keeping.

He’s certainly better than Moss. Is Moss worth keeping? That’s the real question.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.

No running back will succeed given a few carries a game. He has shown value when they actually committed to him in his first season and later this season. 
It’s hard to judge otherwise, kind of like asking if Berry Sanders was any good in the red zone when his coach pulled him all the time after he got them down there. 

Below average starter.

Undersized, lacks power, lacks speed. Shifty. 

He really came on down the stretch and started running differently stopped trying to juke every single defender and kept his legs moving downfield,  started absorbing contract instead of dancing around it. 

He's a solid complementary backup at best, JAG at worst. 

We need a true starter with more size and either more power or speed or both. 

I was really hoping for Javonte Williams last draft he would have been spectacular in this offense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

At RB, it isn’t just pure speed that matters.  Vision, elusiveness, toughness power and ability to help in pass game (blocking or receiving) all matter.

is Singletary All Pro?  No, but if there is decent blocking, he is pretty good running the rock.  He isn’t as much of a receiving threat as we might ideally like.

Could they do better?  Maybe, but with JA now eating a ton of cap, I think you need to spend the early picks on other spots to get good, cheap labor at more important spots.

What I can’t understand is why does many believe it would take massive cap space or a high pick to get a top notch RB. That’s absolutely false #1 Backs don’t get paid a lot anymore and u can find a great back all threw out the draft or even after the draft . Everyone wants an upgrade doesn’t mean u have to break the bank for one

This team is missing a Jerick McKinnon. A guy who can play running back and receiver and gives you a ton of speed. A guy like that makes the empty formation so much more dangerous as he can shift into the backfield and run the ball if teams come out in a soft D. But he is also a dangerous receiver who is a mismatch for linebackers. Its what everyone wanted Breida to be, but he just isn’t a great football player. This is also I think what they were looking for with all the Travis Etienne interest last year. McKinnon is the guy imo. I would target him in free agency as a complement to Singletary. 

Singletary is solid. He is fine. Do you give him money when he is a free agent, no I don’t think so. Never pay a running back when you have a franchise QB imo. You draft his replacement and rinse and repeat. This team is all about Josh. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Yes he is 

Only if you are satisfied with mediocrity...😉

I want a RB that the other team has to account for...nobody cares about where Singletary is, on the field- and that, ultimately, holds the potential of the offense back...👍

We can do better...

Edited by JaCrispy

He has a little heart but does not have the speed to play in this type of offensive that Bills run.  The Bills need a home run back now more then ever because there is so much fear in Josh’s arm teams have to play off the ball 10 to 20 yards a Ricky Waters type would be what Buffalo needs because that speed alone would make the Bills unstoppable because imagine a team defending a running back behind Josh Allen who can take it to the house on any play but can also kill you under neath with screens in the passing game.

16 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Good enough in what respect? Good in an arbitrary sense? Good as a feature back?

I don’t see things so much in white or black, more so in shades of gray (please no 50 shades of gray jokes here), but is he “good enough” as far as the spectrum of good and bad RBs in the NFL goes? Yes. Absolutely. Even if Beane found us a “feature back”, Devin Singletary would be an A+ backup and worth keeping.

He’s certainly better than Moss. Is Moss worth keeping? That’s the real question.

Good question. 

I guess the most pertinent context would be is he good enough to remain the starter and therefore not use significant FA,dollars or high draft picks to upgrade the position?

For me upgrading starting cant be in the top 10 things Beane is going to have to deal with.  Im not saying he needs 10 new starters. Im saying he needs to deal with many more important issues on both lines, CB#2, and many backup spots before using resources on RB.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Only if you are satisfied with mediocrity...😉

I want a RB that the other team has to account for...nobody cares about where Singletary is, on the field- and that, ultimately, holds the potential of the offense back...👍

We can do better...

The team can do better but in the NFL a running back (in my amateur opinion) is 70% a product of the supporting cast mainly O-line and respect for the passing game. Look at the Steelers with Najee Harris in 2021 vs James Connor in 2020. The Steelers drafted a running back to bolster their running game but Harris wasn't that great (he wasn't bad but not much of a production upgrade vs Connor the previous season.) I also think that Singletary showed me to end the season and in the playoffs he is a solid running back that can contribute to the offense. 

I look at football as a chess game and when you don't have a lot of maneuverability on the roster due to limited draft capital and cap space do you really want to use the limited resources you have in the off-season to upgrade a position that is highly circumstantially dependent and not all that bad to begin with? I have no issues with this team sinking a late round pick into a running back or signing a veteran on the cheap to compete with Moss. But I just don't see the need to try and upgrade a solid running back like Singletary when there are other needs on the roster that are more urgent and in need of higher resources. 

I don't think there's any reason Buffalo couldn't win the Super Bowl with Singletary as their feature back, but I've said before (and gotten plenty of negative emojis for it) that Singletary is limited, and Buffalo can't successfully do as many things with him as they might with a more complete back.   If you can upgrade, you should, but if there are other positions where an upgrade is more critical (I'm thinking CB and DT) you'd better do those first. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.