Is Singletary good enough?

Ethan in Cleveland

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Singletary just put up another solid season with 4.6 YPC, 870 yards rushing, and 7 TDs. He had another 40 receptions but only 250 yards in receiving. 

Somehow it took 13 games to make him the feature back. Once that happened he looked really good down the stretch. A few more carries at the beginning of the year and he easily surpasses 1000 yards rushing.  Of course that is when Bates was inserted into the OL starting unit and the entire line started playing better.

I was a draft Najee Harris guy last year. 

Now I'm thinking, at least for 2022 I'm fine with Singletary being the feature back. I'm even fine with Moss and a cheap FA as the backups.  I just don't see RB as a top need now and they have at least 5 or 6 other spots that need or could be addressed before RB. 

What does the board think?

Singletary is borderline average just a JAG the Bills should be striving for more then that. Most great QBs weren’t able to get over the hump without a great running back . Peyton , Brady , Elway , Kelly , Favre all had pro bowl backs. A top 10 back would do wonders for this team and can easily be the difference in a big playoff game where a couple of inches can be the difference between a win and a loss. 

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Singletary is borderline average just a JAG the Bills should be striving for more then that. Most great QBs weren’t able to get over the hump without a great running back . Peyton , Brady , Elway , Kelly , Favre all had pro bowl backs. A top 10 back would do wonders for this team and can easily be the difference in a big playoff game where a couple of inches can be the difference between a win and a loss. 

Career 4.7 YPC. Is that really a JAG? What would be an improvement? There were 9 guys that had a higher YPC this year but 3 of the were QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

He's no Taylor, Chubb or possibly cook. But the guy is still better than most of RB's not named those guys. I know Mixon and Singletary are built differently but look at Mixon's stats this season  292 att, 1203 yrds, 13 td, 4.1 avg. I don't see how Singletary wouldn't perform better with the load he got the last 5 games this season

Quality rbs are gonna fall really far in this draft. We could see great returns on a late round rb. But honestly I just want speed at rb. Look at brieda was able to do when he knew the plays or didn't fumble, he had some electric plays. It was wild to see a Bills rb blow past a LB. I'm sure I sound like a broken record at this point but not giving josh a speedy check down option or home run hitter in the screen game is wasting joshs talent.

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Is Singletary good enough?

Yes.

We don't need to spend higher-level resources on RB. An RB who they don't want to run an awful lot.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a low-level FA or a mid-rounder used for the future and for competition at #2, though.

4 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

4.7 YPC for his career. He is not average and certainly not borderline average. He's also not elite or even close. But he's genuinely good.

And that's nonsense that most great QBs "weren't able to get over the hump without a great running back."  The fact is, some did and some didn't. But the more the rules have changed to favor the passing game, the more SB winners have not needed a great running back.

Ronald Jones Jr./ Fournette

Damine Williams / LeSean McCoy

Sony Michel

LeGarrette Blount

LeGarrette Blount 

CJ Anderson / Ronnie Hillman

LeGarrette Blount/ Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley / Jonas Gray (with Gray as their leading rusher)

Marshawn Lynch

Ray Rice

Ahmad Bradshaw / Brandon Jacobs

Brandon Jackson / James Starks

Mike Bell / Pierre Thomas / Reggie Bush (390 yards)

Those are the significant RBs in the last 12 SB winners. Beyond Lynch and probably Rice before the incident, you've got a lot of decent to good RBs there. And yet Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Peyton and the others managed to get over the hump.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Motor is a solid second string level back. But he is not a premier guy. Sure, if he gets opportunities he’s going to put up some solid stats. Problem is he isn’t a home run hitter. He simply doesn’t have the speed to break away (from even LBs) not the ability to make people miss. 

Simply said, Motor doesn’t scare opposing defenses. 

I have no doubt we can do better than Motor. Although, he’s great to have as a change of pace back IMO. 

He makes people miss a lot.   But I agree we can get a more physically imposing back to pair him with.  Moss is too inconsistent for my taste.  Pollard from Dallas would be a great FA pick up, if he wasn’t overly expensive.  He brings speed, runs with physicality and can catch.  I look at him as a weapon moreso than just a RB.

Edited by purple haze

I don't think I'd have a problem with Singletary as the main man, behind a decent O-Line.

As others have said, he's obviously not elite, and never will be, due to a lack of top end speed. But he ran an awful lot tougher at the end of the year.

However, he's shown he is pretty good, imho, now certainly above average, as he grew into the role, and his blocking etc. was considerably improved. I now have a decent level of trust in him when he's on the field, and that hasn't always been the case.

He was also providing much more as an outlet as the season went on, and that played a significant part in some games.

I do believe, however, if we are going to continue to feature him, his complement needs to be a bruiser. A guaranteed 3 yards and a cloud of dust type, that can take some of the pressure off of him, and, just as importantly, Josh.

I actually think that that is probably our best approach for the time being. Simply because it might be the least expensive, in terms of either a draft pick, or FA.

Without trying to find the combination of size and speed that is just about every teams ideal, an alternative would be to try and find a Kamara type guy, who is sort of half RB, half WR, as those guys are often the type who will give you extra YAC.

I'd still want to try and find a 'bruiser' as well though, as we are far too reliant on trickery, scheme, or Allen on 3rd and short situations.

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

He makes people miss a lot.   But I agree we can get a more physically imposing back to pair him with.  Moss is too inconsistent for my taste.  Pollard from Dallas would be a great FA pick up, if he wasn’t overly expensive.  He brings speed, runs with physicality and can catch.  I look at him as a weapon moreso than just a RB.

Shady made people miss a lot. Devin is very average in that department 

• Agree 1

I really don't think it took 13 games they knew it and he is smallish and takes a lot of punishment.

The Bills are a playoff team and they know it

Last year(2020) they drained the gas tank battling for the #1 seed with their foot to the floor board.

This year was about work load management and being as healthy as possible for a playoff run

JMHO

Yes, he most certainly is 'good enough'.  That does'nt mean he is a top 5 back in the league. It also doesn't mean that it isn't possible to find someone better, but for this offense and team, he is more than good enough.

-The was the main feature back for the most part the last few games, and with him as the feature back this offense put on close to a historical 2 game playoff performance.

-The guy is averaging over 4.7 yard per carry for his career, and that is behind what is an 'average at best' run blocking line....I don't think many will say this OL is full of road-grating bulldozers opening massive holes for him.

-Blocking he has gotten better, I am now pretty confident on biitz pickup he will at least identify and slow down a blitzing LB or DB.  Out of the backfield he isn't a downfield receiving threat, but you have a lot of other players for that, instead he has turned into a reliable outlet guy for josh that knows how to find that short 4-7 yard dump-off area to be open for him.  He is average-to-good at those things.

I am under no illusions he is a top 10 back in the NFL, but in this offense I do not want premium dollars spent on that, I'd rather have it spent on the OL.  But, is he 'good enough'?  To me he is more than good enough for the role that needs to be played by a rb.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.