Brian Daboll hired to be Head Coach of NY Giants

Draconator

2 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

I am glad that Daboll is getting a chance to coach somewhere.  

I wonder his he will take a lot of Bills castoffs in the same way that McDermott did with the Panthers in the beginning of his stint?    If so, might I suggest starting with Edmunds?

Why? Are you a Brian Daboll fan or a fan of the Buffalo Bills?

His leaving will be extremely disruptive to the team.

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The only reason I can think of is McDermott. For me, it would confirm a concern I have, that McDermott was interfering with the offense at times this season and there was rift between Daboll and McD. Dorsey might have witnessed this and/or heard Daboll saying the HC wants this so we do this. Dorsey also might have a better relationship with Dabes. Couple of possibilities. 

I agree with you to a point.  Do think there was often a disconnect between the two.  Whenever we'd lose a game, it seemed McD was annoyed that we didn't run enough.  Seemed most posters here tended to agree and were also ripping Daboll for not running enough.  But games like last week would complain we ran too much. 

So do think McD had a somewhat different take on how much we should run the ball and may have created friction between the two.  But not sure personally who I'd tend to agree with either.  Likely would depend on whether we won or lost the game!  LOL

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

I am glad that Daboll is getting a chance to coach somewhere.  

I wonder his he will take a lot of Bills castoffs in the same way that McDermott did with the Panthers in the beginning of his stint?    If so, might I suggest starting with Edmunds?

Just listening to a local SoCal sports radio show. This one guy was convinced without Daboll, Allen will struggle.  This ridiculous and never ending narrative on Josh is both insanity and hilarious. Daboll will struggle with the Giants. Unless Russell Wilson or Watson falls in his lap. Josh will be just fine w/o Dabs.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

22 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just listening to a local SoCal sports radio show. This one guy was convinced without Daboll, Allen will struggle.  This ridiculous and never ending narrative on Josh is both insanity and hilarious. Daboll will struggle with the Giants. Unless Russell Wilson or Watson falls in his lap. Josh will be just fine w/o Dabs.

Fwiw John Clayton said that Pittsburgh and NYG ownership both told prospective HC candidates that they would not have DeShaun Watson on their teams under any circumstance.

I think Russ would like to be in NY but not sure they are in a good place cap-wise to be able to trade for Russ.........pay Russ........and give him all of the players he would want to make the move.

5 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

I would have LOVED to have Daboll be OC when the Bills win their first Super Bowl.  But it's still incredibly meaningful that he, as a Buffalo native, has been such an integral part of this team's amazing rise to relevance again in the NFL.  He deserves as shot as a head coach but I'm sad to see him go before we win that Big One. 

We can always get him back in two years when he is relieved of his head coaching duties for the Giants.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 3

Is Daboll capable of running an O like he did here and use Saquon Barkley well? Will Barkley regress or will his O be even more potent with a good RB? I tended to think his O was overly complex and Josh made it work because of his capabilities and smarts. This thing could fall flat quick. Guess we’ll see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

Is Daboll capable of running an O like he did here and use Saquon Barkley well? Will Barkley regress or will his O be even more potent with a good RB? I tended to think his O was overly complex and Josh made it work because of his capabilities and smarts. This thing could fall flat quick. Guess we’ll see.

He may hire a competent OC and not oversee the offense that heavily.  BB praised Daboll as being qualified to coach numerous position groups.  Offense and defense which I'd place Daboll as likely able to oversee a team capably but allowing his coordinators to fine tune their units.  We shall certainly see, we know he has a capable gm so he'll get players with skills he requests.  His staff hires will be what makes or breaks his start there.  He's considered a players coach in that he really cares for them as people not just an x or o in his gameplans.  I'd expect he'd have a staff that mirrors that. 

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The only reason I can think of is McDermott. For me, it would confirm a concern I have, that McDermott was interfering with the offense at times this season and there was rift between Daboll and McD. Dorsey might have witnessed this and/or heard Daboll saying the HC wants this so we do this. Dorsey also might have a better relationship with Dabes. Couple of possibilities. 

I'd hope that McDermott would intervene when Daboll was drifting of the path. 

12 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

So you think so highly of a coach that you deem him worthy of being your HC, but you don’t think that taking him away from your rival is worth that team getting pick 99 in the next two drafts?  You’re way overthinking this. 

I’m saying if it came down to the last 2 coaches that you have rated equally. Would this rule sway you? It’s totally hypothetical, but I don’t see how it wouldn’t factor in. Put yourself in that GM spot. That wouldn’t even cross your mind? 

43 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

I’m saying if it came down to the last 2 coaches that you have rated equally. Would this rule sway you? It’s totally hypothetical, but I don’t see how it wouldn’t factor in. Put yourself in that GM spot. That wouldn’t even cross your mind? 

No.  The odds of two head coaching candidates being completely even is very remote.  So I would choose the best candidate regardless of whether or not another team got a couple picks around #98.  And again, stealing away a quality coach from a division opponent would outweigh theme  getting those picks.  

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

We can always get him back in two years when he is relieved of his head coaching duties for the Giants.

By that time the Bills won't want him back after winning 2 Superbowls.

11 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Good for Daboll and a good hire for the Giants to try and capture lightening in a bottle from one of the best organization in football (feels good to say that). 

Yea but the only problem is Giants don't have Josh Allen coming with Daboll.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.