Brian Daboll hired to be Head Coach of NY Giants

Draconator

Daboll always drove me crazy on game day, but I think he’s a really good coach. There were those moments, but I can’t argue with the results. NY is an interesting landing spot though. I think the Giants HC job screams for someone with personality. Dealing with the NY media is a job itself. That franchise doesn’t have much going for it, and NY can be tough. It’s interesting they picked from the Belichick tree twice in a row, going from Judge to Daboll. I’d want a bigger personality after Judge got fired. I’m not convinced it’s a great situation, but you obviously take the job if you’re Daboll. I wish him nothing but the best. 

34 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Trubisky came to Buffalo because he did not want to go to a dung heap which is ironic for that is buffalo are known for dropping large ones.

I think he will be choosy on team he goes to.

NYG seems like the perfect team for him.  I don't think anyone is just going to hand their starting job to Mitch, but beating out Danny Jones isn't exactly a heavy lift.  And contrary to some of the things I've read here, I think the Giants have some pretty good pieces, especially in the trenches...I don't think they're a dumpster fire.  They've been saddled with poor coaching and poor QB play for the last few years...that's pretty hard to overcome, but there's a chance to change those things now...   

Edited by mannc

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

They helped each other; but let's not act like Daboll was on the radar of head coaching jobs until Josh broke out last year.   And of the "things" Josh had to get corrected, how much teaching do you think Daboll had on correcting those things (I assume you mean mechanics) compared to Jordan Palmer, Ken Dorsey, and Josh himself?  

Josh gives a lot of credit to Daboll for helping him learn about the game - not mechanics, but learning to read the defense, understanding protection calls, and understanding "where his answers are" for each defense.  They were said to spend a lot of time watching film together into the evenings.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Incorrect.  Alabama may run Erhardt-Perkins, but Daboll learned his variant of Erhardt-Perkins from his time with the Patriots.  That's what they run.  

It's been commented by a number of people that Daboll runs a variant of the Patriots offense.

I do agree that it would be better to keep the E-P offense and nomenclature, but that's far from saying Bill O'Brien and his flaming ego are a good choice, much less the "only logical choice".

So who is your suggestion?

"Scheme: Daboll is influenced by Josh McDaniels’ Erhardt-Perkins style offense which he's modified to be multiple (borrows plays from several other concepts) and opponent specific. It's a spread offense with lots of different formations, pre-snap motion, and Play Action (abbreviated as PA as we continue). Run blocking utilizes multiple schemes (Zone, Gap, Duo)."

https://fantasydata.com/all-32-nfl-coaching-schemes-for-the-2021-season

Interesting stuff.

We don't want a Greg Roman scheme! 

Matt Nagy: Scheme: Nagy uses a variant of the KC/Reid-WCO but does not tailor to the talent on the roster. Nagy wants to spread the field and run RPO’s. Outside zone runs and PA bootlegs were a staple last year with Lazor calling plays, but if they go shotgun spread this year, the inside zone should return (what Nagy called in 2019).

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The timing is better for Daboll. They weren’t going to move off of Jones after his first or second season. And after his third night as well start fresh with a new coach and gm rather than run it back.

I’m not 100% convinced Jones will be the QB in 2022. Sure they are saying he is for now but what else are they going to say.

also, both coming from Buffalo is very similar to McDermott and Beane both coming form Carolina.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Kenny Pickett isn’t a Giant and they move on from Jones before the draft 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That Josh had things that needed to be corrected?  Josh would be the first to tell you he did, or why did he work with the biomechanics guy and redo his throwing motion and talk about learning to think about the game differently?

That is all more or less independent of Daboll.  This guy gets it. 

5 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

They helped each other; but let's not act like Daboll was on the radar of head coaching jobs until Josh broke out last year.   And of the "things" Josh had to get corrected, how much teaching do you think Daboll had on correcting those things (I assume you mean mechanics) compared to Jordan Palmer, Ken Dorsey, and Josh himself?  

As OC he was responsible for Dorsey did.  Why are so many people getting their nose out of joint about this?  Of course Daboll gets his shot because of Josh.  And Josh has developed into a star with Daboll as his OC.  To suggest Daboll had little to nothing to do with his development is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Yes, and while Parcells was first time HC with a legend for his DC. He also had George Young as GM. Coughlin had 8 years exp as HC.

Daboll is a rookie HC with a rookie GM, both taking over a franchise that hasn't had a winning season for 5 years. 3-13, 5-11, 4-12, 6-10, 4-13. Bottom of the division for awhile now.

Currently 31st ranked offense in 2021. Defense 20th or so. 

Tell me about how the last two NY Giants head coaches did, Joe Judge, Pat Shurmur...

Who was his legend DC when he took over?  Hope you're not referring to Belichick as doubt most people could even spell his name when he took over. 

In 1983 Parcells first year as HC, Belichick was the LB coach, they didn't even have a DC as Parcells kind of saw himself in that role.  In 1985  Parcells 3rd year he finally named Belichick as DC, but still he was an unknown.  His father probably was more known than him and that's not saying much.

To be honest I wouldn't mind changing schemes a bit.

Like, Green Bay, Matt LaFleur.

"Scheme: LaFleur is from the Shanahan/McVay-WCO tree. Heavy use of motion, PA, and RPOs in the passing game and a wide zone run game."

Josh Allen has shown he is a very, very bright young man and capable of learning something new.

Aaron Rodgers went from 6-9-1 in 2018 under McCarthy to 13-3 in LaFluer's first year.

Since 2019, 13-3, 13-3, 13-4. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

So who is your suggestion?

I don't really have suggestions

Obviously Ken Dorsey would be on the list, if the Bills think he's ready to take the step.

I'd guess that McDermott might want to talk to Mike Shula.  McDermott was DC when Shula was OC, for 4 years in Carolina.  I feel uneasy about that, because IMHO they ran the Cam Newton into a premature end of his career, but Newton never seemed to be the precision passer Allen has become; how much of what we saw was Shula and how much was Newton, hard to say.  But if I were guessing who they'd like to bring in, Shula would be on the list. 

Shula went from Carolina to be OC of the Giants for the last year of Manning and the 1st year of Jones, and I actually thought he did pretty well given the pieces he had to work with - no OL, receivers dropping balls - then to Denver as QB coach.

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

To be honest I wouldn't mind changing schemes a bit.

Like, Green Bay, Matt LaFleur.

"Scheme: LaFleur is from the Shanahan/McVay-WCO tree. Heavy use of motion, PA, and RPOs in the passing game and a wide zone run game."

Josh Allen has shown he is a very, very bright young man and capable of learning something new.

Aaron Rodgers went from 6-9-1 in 2018 under McCarthy to 13-3 in LaFluer's first year.

Since 2019, 13-3, 13-3, 13-4. 

Erm....Matt LaFleur is still the head coach in Green Bay.  He's not coming to Buffalo to be our OC.

But keep in mind it's not just Josh who has to master a new playbook, it's everyone else on the offense.  I'm not saying they can't, but a WCO is conceptually usually a very different offense, very timed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

If Dorsey leaves and an external OC is hired that means alot of extra work for the offenses (especially Josh) in the off season & training camp because there will be a new offensive system to learn.

Why would Dorsey leave if it comes down to a choice between being OC in NY or Buffalo?  And if offered the OC here, it then becomes a lateral move so the Bills can just say no to NY.  He knows what he has in Allen, from everything written they have a close relationship. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Why would Dorsey leave if it comes down to a choice between being OC in NY or Buffalo?  And if offered the OC here, it then becomes a lateral move so the Bills can just say no to NY.  He knows what he has in Allen, from everything written they have a close relationship.

I hope you are right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.