This was the year, and the coaches blew it

Rampage

42 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I still say it was execution. There is no defense where you are supposed to allow the other team's best player to run down the field uncovered. Period. End of story.

Go Bills!

I could agree with you except McDermott/Fraser rushed 4 players (stupid as mahomes was obviously passing quickly) didn’t chip Kelce, Hill or #13 off the line and had their safeties playing 40 yards down the field.

rush 2 drop 9, and give up two 10 yards passes = game over.

not pooching the kickoff is the worst decision of all of them.

for someone who says he’s prepared for everything, McDermott really f*cked up his “execution” in the last 13 seconds.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

Like your post. It was indeed supposedly the year. Couple that with knowing going into the KC game that the Titans , Rodgers, and Brady were already out , and it was a once in who knows how long to have tbe AFC CHAMPIONSHIP game at home!  Yes, we will be competitive with Josh. However ,looks likely Daboll is gone and Frazier with his passive d scheme stays , which I think is the worst scenario concerning coordinators.    Hopefully the qb coach moves up for continuity but it’s his first year as a coordinator so we will have a learning curve scenario.  Frazier staying really bothers me. This d benefited from playing several teams with horrible qbs. In the crucial games , good qbs carved this d up. Take a look at next years schedule , it looks formidable. KC again in KC stinks!  On the road against the Bengals, Rams as well. It’s not a soft schedule like this year.  Green Bay , titans coming to Buffalo in addition to division schedule. It will be tough as our o adjusts ( Daboll def gone to giants, as it’s on NFL  home page reported by rappaport. ).

Beane has stated we will not be that active in FA.  He had a chance to make moves like Ingram , and blew it.  He doesn’t want to give up draft picks again like he did to get Diggs, he said it during the draft.  Imho , he values draft potential over established free agents too much. This is not the old NFL, other teams are willing to make moves.  He stated they will prob keep adding to the d line , and will have to with turnover related to age.   Mcd is 0-4 in playoff road games.  This is not like the 90’s where we kept our core with no FA and no cap to deal with.   If Frazier can’t get a job after 9 openings were present , I think That tells you how others view his “#1”  defense.    

Yes , we will have a shot with Josh.  Lots of roster changes coming and now offense will be different without Daboll.   The d staying under Frazier looks like a bad move to me. Teams will watch what the Bucs , Chiefs, Titans did and mimic the use of plays run against soft zone coverages. I was hoping we would get an aggressive minded D coordinator in.   The Bills draft will lean toward the d , and I just wish Beane would give Allen another Big receiver with long strides like Gabe or get a legitimate back with speed for use in screens and to add to our offensive weapons. Continuing to try to beat KC with d, one great edge guy won’t work. You have to outscore them.  I hope we recover from this, having been around to see us lose 4 SB’s, it’s a lesson that there are no promises. We were peaking at the exact right moment , and coaching with players on the d inexplicably freezing ( regarding the Kelce stuff) lost a huge opportunity this year and it will be a challenge to have that fall in place again. 

I could not agree more with everything,  great job 

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

I could agree with you except McDermott/Fraser rushed 4 players (stupid as mahomes was obviously passing quickly) didn’t chip Kelce, Hill or #13 off the line and had their safeties playing 40 yards down the field.

for someone who says he’s prepared for everything, McDermott really f*cked up his “execution” in the last 13 seconds.

The "Hail Murray" really didn't teach him much either.  Can't play conservative passive defense in those situation.  You're taking away your defensive strength.  Once? maybe.  Twice in consecutive seasons?  Nope.  Unacceptable.  I'm afraid he is not the right coach to bring a super bowl to Buffalo.  

• Agree 1

The Bills will continue to be in the mix the next few years BUT i don’t think they will be quite as dominant.  It won’t line up like this season.  We’re not going to go 6-0 or 5-1 every year against the AFC East.

Like we’ve seen many times in sports, if they do make and win the SB, it will likely be in a season we aren’t expecting it… then they get hot and go on a run.  

5 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

I think with the way Allen plays five more years of this level of play is probable.  He keeps taking the beatings he does he’s going to hit the Cam Newton wall and his body will fall apart after 30. Our window is smaller than what people are thinking.  10 more years of this style of play and he’ll be using a walker by the time he’s 40.  Nothing says he can’t be more of a pocket passer but the elite running/throwing from him is only viable a few more years IMO.

I agree we can’t keep running Josh like this he won’t last. We need a back that can carry the load and Singletary is not the answer. I would love to see the Bills take a chance on Rashard Penny this kid absolutely took over at the end of the season and finished the season with a whooping 6.3 yds a carry and that’s including he was averaging under 4yds for nearly most of the season until he got fully healed then he took off like a rocket. This kid can be that difference for us in the back field and he would dominate in this offense. Beane get this monster to Buffalo and our offense will be unstoppable. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

We don't know who blew it yet.  I'm waiting for Bass to be asked what he was told to do.  

and that is only the kickoff

Has McD or Frazier explained wtf they were thinking with those def alignments or why they would show their stupid alignment, call timeout, and then line up the same stupid way? (I have not been following anything since the disaster)

Why rush 4 when Mahomes can't take long to throw? 

Why were the safeties 30 yards downfield when they only needed a fg?

Why no resistance or coverage at the line? time was everything at that point. 

Why protect the sideline when KC has 3 timeouts and only 13 secs?

The list goes on and on

Bottom line, what the ***** were they thinking ?? ?

They need to answer imo, before just moving on to next year as if that idiocy never happened.

2 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Fire Lesley Frazier o4 hopefully he follows Daboll to NEw Jersey! They cost us a championship- truly I would love to see Pegulas  Fire McD for inexcusable incompetence at the end of the game-13 seconds somebody has to pay!

14 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

and that is only the kickoff

Has McD or Frazier explained wtf they were thinking with those def alignments or why they would show their stupid alignment, call timeout, and then line up the same stupid way? (I have not been following anything since the disaster)

Why rush 4 when Mahomes can't take long to throw? 

Why were the safeties 30 yards downfield when they only needed a fg?

Why no resistance or coverage at the line? time was everything at that point. 

Why protect the sideline when KC has 3 timeouts and only 13 secs?

The list goes on and on

Bottom line, what the ***** were they thinking ?? ?

They need to answer imo, before just moving on to next year as if that idiocy never happened.

Turk- well said!! I agree 100%. Somebody at One bills drive has to be held accountable for the Fiasco we all witnessed !
This mat have been our best chance in 21 years Since Music City!

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Defense can't get heat on a QB unless they are playing a bottom feeder team, and we don't consistently run the ball.  Until these two things change we won't beat the top teams.

It's not 1983 anymore.

Did you have a look at the Bills vs. Chiefs divisional round game?

Did you notice the score?

🤣

2 hours ago, Stuartjohn said:

Fire Lesley Frazier o4 hopefully he follows Daboll to NEw Jersey! They cost us a championship- truly I would love to see Pegulas  Fire McD for inexcusable incompetence at the end of the game-13 seconds somebody has to pay!

Turk- well said!! I agree 100%. Somebody at One bills drive has to be held accountable for the Fiasco we all witnessed !
This mat have been our best chance in 21 years Since Music City!

I would like to add another to this list

Why is Addison QB spying with 13 secs left on the clock? What a wasted player on the field. What makes it worse is it wasted the 3rd man that was rushing makes the rush completely irrelevant. 

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's not 1983 anymore.

Did you have a look at the Bills vs. Chiefs divisional round game?

Did you notice the score?

🤣

No... I didn't notice our "number 1" defense gave up 42 points, 552 total yards, 182 on the ground all of which directly lead to a L.

Edited by Azucho98

13 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I agree we can’t keep running Josh like this he won’t last. We need a back that can carry the load and Singletary is not the answer. I would love to see the Bills take a chance on Rashard Penny this kid absolutely took over at the end of the season and finished the season with a whooping 6.3 yds a carry and that’s including he was averaging under 4yds for nearly most of the season until he got fully healed then he took off like a rocket. This kid can be that difference for us in the back field and he would dominate in this offense. Beane get this monster to Buffalo and our offense will be unstoppable. 

I was wondering if the Jags would take our round one pick for Travis Etienne. Very fast, good size, coming off injury. 

14 hours ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

The "Hail Murray" really didn't teach him much either.  Can't play conservative passive defense in those situation.  You're taking away your defensive strength.  Once? maybe.  Twice in consecutive seasons?  Nope.  Unacceptable.  I'm afraid he is not the right coach to bring a super bowl to Buffalo.  

Can't predict the future of course, but imo McDermott basically stole a Super Bowl from Buffalo with those decisions at the end of regulation. You couldn't have coached that worse if you had money riding on the other team.

And then his flippant attitude about it after the fact? Honestly F that guy. From what McKenzie and Edmunds were quoted saying, I'd be surprised if he's even liked in the locker room. Really wish Beane had canned his dumb ass and promoted Daboll.

16 hours ago, T&C said:

These threads all look and sound the same... weird.

Thats because EVERY thread here is basically the same.

A small contingent voices objective criticism of the franchise and frustration; and that is met with an overwhelming majority very vocal response with the kool aid types saying "Don't worry, be happy" or "Go away, troll."  

That theme remains the same; the actual factual details of the conversation change from thread to thread.

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Thats because EVERY thread here is basically the same.

A small contingent voices objective criticism of the franchise and frustration; and that is met with an overwhelming majority very vocal response with the kool aid types saying "Don't worry, be happy" or "Go away, troll."  

That theme remains the same; the actual factual details of the conversation change from thread to thread.

Oh yes, those poor "objective" fans are just the victims of the majority of the rest of us fans who are Kool-Aid drinkers. How is this for objectivity?

- 2 straight division crowns

- 3 epic beatdowns in last 4 games against the GOAT NFL coach

- 25 year old QB who is emerging as a top-5 player in the entire league

- Coach/GM combo who is 4/5 in making the playoffs after 17 years of hopeless futility

- Season ending road playoff losses to probably the best team in at least the past decade, with a HOF coach, otherworldly skill players (Kelce/Hill), and maybe the future GOAT at QB.  And we were 13 seconds or a 50/50 coin flip away from taking them down this time.

- About to build a stadium that will guarantee the Bills stay in town for at least the next 20 years, when only 8-9 years ago we seemed almost certain to lose them to Toronto.

Yes - The loss was horribly painful.  Yes - Mistakes were made in the final sequences that cost us a win and a SB opportunity.  Yes - we need to get better in certain positions and yes the coaching staff needs to reflect and learn from this to avoid similar mistakes in the future.   But we've all vented and commiserated over it for 6 days now.  I'm personally tiring of the handwringing at this point, and I think a lot of the "Kool-Aid Drinkers" are probably feeling the same, which is why you're starting to see the blowback against these despondency threads.  

But, at the same time, this board exists for all Bills fans.  We are all wired differently.  And for some, they aren't ready to disconnect from the pain of last weekend and accept the objective reality that we have a very successful foundation in place at QB, GM and coach.  I get it.  I'm tiring of it, but I get it.  And who am I (or any other Kool-Aid drinker) to tell other fans how to think, feel or grieve this loss.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.