Would McD consider bringing in Gus Bradley to be the new DC??

BuffaloBills1998

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I’d say the raiders defense this year was pretty attacking. That defense is pretty much the main reason why they got into the playoffs

Really? Based on what would you say this? Based on their league lowest blitz percentage of 12.1%? Or based on the 7th highest percentage of zone coverage in the NFL? Maybe it was them being 21st in sacks?

In every one of the supposed areas of criticism for the Bills defense the Raiders were a bigger culprit. Didn't blitz enough? The Raiders blitzed less than anyone. Played too much zone? The Raiders played more. Not enough sacks? The Raiders had fewer. 

That said Gus Bradley runs a very similar scheme to McDermott. If they were bringing in an outsider then I could absolutely see him as a fit. They are both cover 3 schemes at heart. The Bills were more multiple this year than the Raiders in terms of mixing in cover 1, cover 2 and quarters. The Raiders ran a bit more base cover 3. But compared to a lot of the suggestions that don't philosophically line up Gus Bradley does. 

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Frazier is an excellent DC.  I'm not a fan of running him out of town.  Remember the Rex Ryan defensive days where we prayed for someone that could keep teams from scoring?  I do

i REMEMBER PRAYING THE BILLS WOULD HAVE 11 MEN on the field

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Todd Bowles called 0 coverage with like 30 seconds left allowing Cooper Kupp 1v1 deep against a safety. 

There aren't any defensive coordinator better than Bowles, he's one of the best. 

I actually don't mind playing soft in that situation it's that they played too soft. I'm still convinced players didn't do their job, but that's still on coaching in that situation.

Yep. Fans always want more aggressive. It is the rallying cry of most fans. Personally I think aggressive heavy blitzing defenses are mainly outdated relics of a bygone age.

Bowles is the one guy left doing it and generally getting results. And it cost his team just as big as Frazier playing soft off coverage zone did last weekend.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

With rumors around Frazier getting a second interview, if the giants hire Frazier would you be interested in Gus Bradley being our new DC?  He did a pretty solid job with the raiders. Also it’s rumored that McDaniels is the favorite of getting the raiders job

I think a more likely question would be, "Is there a chance the Bills replace Frazier assuming that he's not offered a head coaching position?"

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

After the Frazier Fiasco, nobody will touch the guy.......we're stuck with him.

Oi Vay

He definitely did not help his career trajectory in those 13 seconds plus overtime.

Frazier is an excellent DC.  I'm not a fan of running him out of town.  Remember the Rex Ryan defensive days where we prayed for someone that could keep teams from scoring?  I do

Here's a question: "Is it possible to have a DC who is less effective statistically during the regular season but whose defense plays better in must-win playoff situations?"

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Todd Bowles called 0 coverage with like 30 seconds left allowing Cooper Kupp 1v1 deep against a safety. 

There aren't any defensive coordinator better than Bowles, he's one of the best. 

I actually don't mind playing soft in that situation it's that they played too soft. I'm still convinced players didn't do their job, but that's still on coaching in that situation.

All of us will tend to overreact in either/both directions after what happened in KC. That said IMO, much of the blame has to be placed on McDermott's shoulders... both because of the "ultimate responsibility rule" and also because he took 2 defensive timeouts which hurt us.

McDermott probably calls more defensive timeouts in critical situations than any other NFL head coach and that's generally a good thing but as we all found out from the autopsy, the timeouts allowed Kelce and Company to mastermind a few playground ball plays which forced overtime... in other words the time outs don't always work in the defense's favor and certainly didn't last Sunday.

If your players are dependable, knowledgeable, well-trained veterans then sometimes micro-managing is a bad idea.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Fans always want more aggressive. It is the rallying cry of most fans. Personally I think aggressive heavy blitzing defenses are mainly outdated relics of a bygone age.

Bowles is the one guy left doing it and generally getting results. And it cost his team just as big as Frazier playing soft off coverage zone did last weekend.

It was kind of similar as Kupp wasn't even supposed to get the ball on that play but Stafford and Kupp both read the cover 0 and won the game.

I had forgotten but for some reason people keep bringing up the bad times.

No thanks he is over the hill on playcalling for DC. This is 2022 now and we need to evolve.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

I want a DC that never uses prevent defense.

We desperately need a change at DC.  Even if no one is dumb enough to hire Leslie. His defense has given up 80 points to KC over these last 2 playoff games. His scheme involves practicality no blitzing. Our pass rushers are old. Edmundane is not cutting it. We need someone like Bradley who would still run a 4-3 but a more aggressive version.  Frazier was a horrible HC and frankly a mediocre DC.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.