Are we the slowest team in the league?

Hebert19

52 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You've chosen such a terrible hill to die on. People dump a pile of rational arguments in your lap and you can't get past 40 times which don't have very much to do with YAC.

Something else worth talking about is that we ranked second in Air Yards per completion. While the aforementioned teams all were in the top 10 in that category, we had 3 receivers (Sanders, Davis, Diggs) in the top 38, more than any other team. The Rams pumped up their numbers because they got more help at the bottom of their roster while we had a 50% dropoff after Diggs to Beasley.

I’m not arguing with you dude. You have clearly chosen to follow my posts. I’m not taking the bait. I know what I think and I’m not gonna let you or anyone change my mind. Have fun…

9 hours ago, dje85 said:

No we are not.. Nor are we the fastest. 

What we are bad at offensively is YAC. We were last in the league in that I believe. 

YAC and lack of team speed are directly related, though lack of team speed does not tell the whole story.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:47 PM, Hebert19 said:

By 40 time just some random speed positions.  Not one 4.3 guy and D in particular very slow. 

I could do more for other teams but we have literally 0 burners on this team.  The fastest guys we have are McKenzie and Jones who aren't even starters. On D other than white we have no one under 4.5.  

Feels like we need to draft some speed this year to keep up with some of the burners we will have to deal with over the next few years. 

Diggs  4.46

McKenzie 4.42

Gabe 4.54

Beasley 4.49

Tre 4.47

Wallace 4.63

Hyde 4.56

Singletary 4.66

Knox 4.59

In comparison chiefs

Hill 4.29

Hardman 4.33

Helaire 4.6

Kelce 4.61

Mathieu 4.51

Sneed 4.37

Ward 4.44

Pringle 4.46

Mckinnon 4.41

Outside of Knox they are faster at every position.  

Let's throw in a few from Bengals and 9ers. 

Chase 4.38

Higgins 4.39

Mixon 4.41

Deebo 4.48

Mitchell 4.35

Aiyuk 4.49

200 yards and 4TD's out of Davis makes the argument that you have to have speed seem a little silly in my opinion.  The league leader in YAC is Kupp and the guy ran a 4.62 which is roughly the same speed as Singletary.  Coincidentally the other whipping boy for the need to have track stars crowd.

Edited by Maine-iac

3 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

200 yards and 4TD's out of Davis makes the argument that you have to have speed seem a little silly in my opinion.  The league leader in YAC is Kupp and the guy ran a 4.62 which is roughly the same speed as Singletary.  Coincidentally the other whipping boy for the need to have track stars crowd.

This isn't a Gabe thing or a Singletary thing it's team speed in general. 

48 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

This isn't a Gabe thing or a Singletary thing it's team speed in general. 

So…..it’s not about the skill guys, but it’s about “team speed”? You listed a bunch of skill guys, but now it’s “team”? Like we need faster OG’s or NT’s? (Not meant to come off as nasty.) 

Look, I’d like more breakaway speed and easy scores. That helps guys like Diggs, Davis, Knox and Singletary underneath. That is your bread and butter. A blazing threat at RB or WR would be nice, but we have been pretty loaded. Not every team can have world class speed at WR or RB. Al Davis loved that, but I prefer Jerry Rice, a real football player, over some fast guy. 

Are we the slowest team in the league is not the same as are we as fast as the fastest team in the league. The comparison provided seems to lean toward a certain agenda. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/28/2022 at 2:19 PM, dorquemada said:

Eyeball test says yes, or at least, of the better teams we definitely don't have the speed that the others do.  Remember what The Pork Faced Satan said, after torching the Bills in 2 Super Bowls "Speed Kills"

Watching Milano trying to cover Kelce was just embarrassing.  Same for whomever was supposed to cover Tyreek Hill.  Jamb them on the line?  Why no, of course not, that would be positively unsportsmanlike!  Rather that we should lose with honor!

The shying away from making a jamb at the line is on the DC.  He designs the plays and coverage.  Not much free lancing by the DBs.   Bracketing Hill or Kelce in crunch time would have been wise.  DC has to change his thinking but I doubt this will happen.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:15 PM, JackKemp said:

A lot of straight line burners aren't as good as someone who is quick on their feet in terms of short butst speed and reaction to what is around them. Hill is not only the fastest player in the league, but he has those quickness attributes.

For Hill it's the quickness that makes him great.  He is also lightning fast, but he's no John Ross.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like this argument is like a guy who bought a Corvette and didn't get premium audio.  You don't need premium audio.  It would be nice but everything works without it.  More over there is a small handfull of players with "elite" speed that are even worth mentioning with Hill being at the top of that list.  9 out of 10 track stars at the combine end up being kick returners or out of the league because they aren't talented enough at their position and the speed doesn't matter if you don't have the talent.  That is why Singletary is starting not Brieda and why Davis is WR #2 and McKenzie is for the most part a kick returner who we hope develops as a receiver and stops muffing  punts.  We play zone all the time.  Elite speed is probably low on the list of considerations for any CB we are looking to draft.  Closing speed, tackling, coverage are all a much bigger deal than top end speed.

• 3 months later...
On 1/28/2022 at 1:47 PM, Hebert19 said:

By 40 time just some random speed positions.  Not one 4.3 guy and D in particular very slow. 

I could do more for other teams but we have literally 0 burners on this team.  The fastest guys we have are McKenzie and Jones who aren't even starters. On D other than white we have no one under 4.5.  

Feels like we need to draft some speed this year to keep up with some of the burners we will have to deal with over the next few years. 

Diggs  4.46

McKenzie 4.42

Gabe 4.54

Beasley 4.49

Tre 4.47

Wallace 4.63

Hyde 4.56

Singletary 4.66

Knox 4.59

In comparison chiefs

Hill 4.29

Hardman 4.33

Helaire 4.6

Kelce 4.61

Mathieu 4.51

Sneed 4.37

Ward 4.44

Pringle 4.46

Mckinnon 4.41

Outside of Knox they are faster at every position.  

Let's throw in a few from Bengals and 9ers. 

Chase 4.38

Higgins 4.39

Mixon 4.41

Deebo 4.48

Mitchell 4.35

Aiyuk 4.49

Well we got some speed.  

Cb 4.39

Wr 4.43

Rb 4.42

Got some speed this weekend as mentioned but just about everybody on this offense already runs a 4.5 or lower. That's not slow. Tyreek Hill is a unicorn, he's hard to duplicate, but having 5-6 guys on offense that can run sub 4.5 isn't awful by any means.

You're missing some guys too - Stevenson ran a 4.45 and that was considered poor for him, and he blew away the 3-cone drill. Was surprised to find out that even Kumerow runs 4.5. Howard runs a 4.58. We've got a ton of guys with decent speed, I don't really see the issue.

Edited by Nelius
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/30/2022 at 2:40 AM, PrimeTime101 said:

3 positions we need more speed at. WR, CB, HB

I would love to draft a very fast CB round 1. Same with HB.  

From your mouth to God's ears!   

Well at least Beane's ears.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.