Are we the slowest team in the league?

Hebert19

9 minutes ago, JackKemp said:

A lot of straight line burners aren't as good as someone who is quick on their feet in terms of short butst speed and reaction to what is around them. Hill is not only the fastest player in the league, but he has those quickness attributes.

I’ve heard several interviews with opposing players who talk about how much faster Hill is than anyone else they’ve ever seen.  The guy just instantly accelerates.  It’s like he’s driving a Tesla and everyone else is driving a Mustang.  If you ever want to get a true sense of his burst, don’t watch him.  Focus on how defenders react when he gets the ball.  Barry Sanders was the same way.  He wasn’t as fast, but defenders had that same panicked look about them as they desperately flailed around hoping to not be on the wrong end of a highlight.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Our YAC has been terrible. It's like our guys are just so darn happy to actually get the ball that they forget to run with it......or they are being coached to not make an extra play after the catch for fear of a fumble or loss of yardage.

YACs a neat stat, but a lot of it is tied to the depth of target.  Kupp and Kelce to me are just... freaky good players who see the field like QBs.  It is not their flatline speed that kills teams. Samuel gets a ton of short depth throws.  Same with Adams, Ekeler, Godwin, Johnson, Hardman, Harris in the top 10 of that field.  

I think it's a product of the offense, as well as the defenses you're seeing.  KC and buffalo were seeing a ton of deep safety looks, and KC was able to A- run more effectively, B- utilize hardman in the mckenzie role much more frequently/effectively and C- crack the zones open with Kelce.  

Buffalo only had about 90 RB targets in 17 games - they also have 3 regular playing WRs who would have lead KC in aDOT.  Buffalo seemed to open up the offense more once they got backs involved, and it seemed to help the run game as well.  

If your best players are Ekeler or Adams or something, it makes sense to get them the ball right off the snap etc.  But our best players are guys like knox davis and diggs who make their money a bit further down the field.  

I agree with Beane in saying Beasley should be back, i just expect far fewer than the 100+ targets he's seen the last couple years.  I also don't think he should be running screen plays and 2 and 3 yard out routes, he's not dynamic enough to create after that.  Too often he'd make the catch, try and juke and just get put down.  But you do need WRs with good hands out of the slot, he just needs to be a bit further downfield not the like 1-4 yard plays.  Mckenzie should and did start to see some of those looks as the season went on, but when you see samuel and patterson playing these hybrid roles so effectively you may want to look for a more dynamic player in the draft (after round 1, even at pick 25 i like them to continue looking for athletic upside).  

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

By 40 time just some random speed positions.  Not one 4.3 guy and D in particular very slow. 

I could do more for other teams but we have literally 0 burners on this team.  The fastest guys we have are McKenzie and Jones who aren't even starters. On D other than white we have no one under 4.5.  

Feels like we need to draft some speed this year to keep up with some of the burners we will have to deal with over the next few years. 

Diggs  4.46

McKenzie 4.42

Gabe 4.54

Beasley 4.49

Tre 4.47

Wallace 4.63

Hyde 4.56

Singletary 4.66

Knox 4.59

In comparison chiefs

Hill 4.29

Hardman 4.33

Helaire 4.6

Kelce 4.61

Mathieu 4.51

Sneed 4.37

Ward 4.44

Pringle 4.46

Mckinnon 4.41

Outside of Knox they are faster at every position.  

Let's throw in a few from Bengals and 9ers. 

Chase 4.38

Higgins 4.39

Mixon 4.41

Deebo 4.48

Mitchell 4.35

Aiyuk 4.49

You cant say though they are faster at every position then not list the same positions for both teams.  

And we are plenty fast enough, speed isn't what lost us this game.  Tre White being lost for the season and a combo of miscommunication and bad defensive play calls at end of game did.

Honestly, if Tre plays, I have no doubt we win by double digits.  

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You cant say though they are faster at every position then not list the same positions for both teams.  

And we are plenty fast enough, speed isn't what lost us this game.  Tre White being lost for the season and a combo of miscommunication and bad defensive play calls at end of game did.

Honestly, if Tre plays, I have no doubt we win by double digits.  

I don't know about double digits, but I feel like we do win. Knew the KC game his absence would be felt the most. Easy to notice the difference from week 5 with him compared to last game. 

You cherry picked a bunch of players and you seem to think that there are 4.3 speed guys growing on trees, or something.

The Bills are probably average. Yeah, the Chiefs are probably one of the fastest, if not THE fastest, teams in the NFL.

Plus, some of the fastest players to run the 40 turned out to be mediocre or bad football players.

By 40 time just some random speed positions.  Not one 4.3 guy and D in particular very slow. 

I could do more for other teams but we have literally 0 burners on this team.  The fastest guys we have are McKenzie and Jones who aren't even starters. On D other than white we have no one under 4.5.  

Feels like we need to draft some speed this year to keep up with some of the burners we will have to deal with over the next few years. 

Diggs  4.46

McKenzie 4.42

Gabe 4.54

Beasley 4.49

Tre 4.47

Wallace 4.63

Hyde 4.56

Singletary 4.66

Knox 4.59

In comparison chiefs

Hill 4.29

Hardman 4.33

Helaire 4.6

Kelce 4.61

Mathieu 4.51

Sneed 4.37

Ward 4.44

Pringle 4.46

Mckinnon 4.41

Chase 4.38

Higgins 4.39

Mixon 4.41

Deebo 4.48

Mitchell 4.35

Aiyuk 4.49

Is this a joke?

Diggs  4.46

McKenzie 4.42

Gabe 4.54

Beasley 4.49

Tre 4.47

Wallace 4.63

Hyde 4.56

Singletary 4.66

Knox 4.59

In comparison chiefs

Hill 4.29

Hardman 4.33

Helaire 4.6

Kelce 4.61

Mathieu 4.51

Sneed 4.37

Ward 4.44

Pringle 4.46

Mckinnon 4.41

Chase 4.38

Higgins 4.39

Mixon 4.41

Deebo 4.48

Mitchell 4.35

Aiyuk 4.49

Well in all honesty this

goes to show how great Allen is we have one of the worst YACs of any team in the league and yet a top 5 ish offense meaning every yard Josh gets they earn.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dje85 said:

No we are not.. Nor are we the fastest. 

What we are bad at offensively is YAC. We were last in the league in that I believe. 

Yes…I think the main reason for this is that is the way our pass routes were designed….run to a spot and spin around….looking forward to a more dynamic strategy

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

We are slow and terrible in YAC. 

But…we need more defense!!!!

S. M. H. 🙄

You've chosen such a terrible hill to die on. People dump a pile of rational arguments in your lap and you can't get past 40 times which don't have very much to do with YAC.

Something else worth talking about is that we ranked second in Air Yards per completion. While the aforementioned teams all were in the top 10 in that category, we had 3 receivers (Sanders, Davis, Diggs) in the top 38, more than any other team. The Rams pumped up their numbers because they got more help at the bottom of their roster while we had a 50% dropoff after Diggs to Beasley.

Edited by BullBuchanan

6 hours ago, Process said:

And that he sucks at football. Did you see him returning kicks?

He may have straight line speed but if he tries to make a cut it looks like he's moving in sand.

Even when he runs in a straight line, he looks like he's moving in slow motion to me.

6 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Which is strange because he was in the 100th percentile for 3 cone with a blazing 6.46.

I think this just highlights the fact that a 40-time recorded at the Underwear Olympics may or may not reflect the player's Game Speed.

Allen (who somehow got omitted from that list) ran a 4.76.  He regularly not only breaks ankles, he outruns guys.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.