If DK Metcalf is available for a first and a forth round pick would you do it?

BuffaloBill

Please...Don't get me started on Metcalf...I'm still pissed we did not take him...I'll start pulling posts from that Draft again...And that's a rabbit hole I'd rather leave behind because I still get angry...

But yes...In the world of fantasy I'd do that trade...B-)

• Haha (+1) 1

Tough to say w/o knowing his contract here.

Purely value-wise, I think 25th overall and a 4th is fair, especially when compared what we gave up for Diggs (1st, 5th, 6th, & 4th the next year), but it’s close.

I’d feel better w/ just 25th overall. 

Wonder if any of our players could sent to SEA in such a trade…

No. 

Offensive production is not an issue for this roster, other than maybe drafting an big RB2 who can pass pro

Keep your draft picks and go sign Chandler Jones, releasing Hughes and Addison.   Use your # 1  on a fast fast corner .  There are quite a few in this draft.  Do not miss the opportunity.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Idk. I'd like to spend those assets elsewhere. 

Our QB just threw 9 TD in 2 playoff gms. I'm not worried about our WRs with Diggs Davis Bease and Knox already on the roster. 

I'd rather add an explosive RB to compliment Motor. 

or a stud LG and Center

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Would the Hawks trade Metcalf?

This is a highly unlikely scenario for many reasons - salary cap, impact to Diggs and likelihood that the Hawks just don’t let him go are at the top of the list. However, there are some uncertainties regarding Metcalf future in Seattle.

As for me, If the Bills could get him for a 1st and a 4th I would say do it all day long every day.  Could you imagine the nightmare matchups created with Diggs, Metcalf and Knox in the game as your base set?  You have all combinations of size, speed, route running, ability to play at every level and Josh heaving the rock.  

No I'd turn around and give that offer to the Falcons for AJ Terrell, but I'd also offer both picks we get for losing Lezlie Frazier

Edited by appoo

If I'm giving up major assets for a WR, I want someone that can catch a 5 yard slant and run 50 yards. Metcalf is a one trick pony (and yes he does that one trick very well). I'd rather have Davis run his routes. Not saying Davis is anywhere near the same talent level as Metcalf, but from a cost perspective the upgrade isn't worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Would the Hawks trade Metcalf?

This is a highly unlikely scenario for many reasons - salary cap, impact to Diggs and likelihood that the Hawks just don’t let him go are at the top of the list. However, there are some uncertainties regarding Metcalf future in Seattle.

As for me, If the Bills could get him for a 1st and a 4th I would say do it all day long every day.  Could you imagine the nightmare matchups created with Diggs, Metcalf and Knox in the game as your base set?  You have all combinations of size, speed, route running, ability to play at every level and Josh heaving the rock.  

All offseason leading up to that draft I argued for DK Metcalf.  On draft night I pleaded to take him.  When we traded up in the 2nd I prayed it was for DK even though I was certain it was Ford.  When he kept sliding to the end of the 2nd, I pleaded to trade up and get him.  Loved him then, and would love him now.  

That being said...my answer is no.  I would not invest that much into the WR position, we don't need it.  He would be a monster here no doubt, but WR is not our weakness and Allen makes everyone better around him.  

I would much rather use the draft assets and cap space to address CB (Tre had as serious injury, and Levi is a FA), DT (Star needs a successor, and Philips is a FA), and Interior OL.  

Then make a trade to go get someone like Barkley who can be had on the cheap most likely given the Giants Cap issues and his injury history. Schoen is going to clear out the cap issues first, so send them Moss and a pick for Barkley.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jim Bob said:

He has one year left on his rookie deal. So, his cap number for 2022 is amazing. But, he will want to get paid after that.

Thanks.  So IMO this gives us 1 yr of service at a bargain rate (not worth sacrificing a 1st rounder for) & gives us an advantage at signing him long term at market rates, which we probably can't afford (we've got Allen & presumably retain Diggs).  So for me, it's no thanks.  I'd rather have Diggs, a great receiver whose production is known in this system, as opposed to a much more unknown in what Metcalf would do if here.

I see the appeal of a trade, a dynamic talent like that opposite Diggs (who could be moved to the slot) and Davis would be the best WR corps in the NFL. With Knox, Mac (if he is resigned) and Singletary great pieces in the passing game to boot.

But I don’t think that would be McBeane’s style. I think as they head into Josh’s extension they want to avoid trading for a player on a big contract or up for a big extension. A 1st round pick is a possible ticket to high end production for multiple season below the players market value.

Trading a 1st and handing out big cap space is a heavy investment into one single player. You are giving up significant draft and cap capital for a single non-QB player. Given the volatility of football injury wise it is perhaps better to try to build through the draft and retain talent you develop.

Long story short I think these types of trades are super risky. DK is a great talent but that’s a lot to give up when you already have very good WR’s and possibly other pressing needs.

43 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Jameson Williams at pick #25 will give us the speed we need, once he is fully healed.  Guys are coming back from ACL injuries much quicker than they used to.  

I'm starting to get on that train but I think defense needs to be upgraded too.  Maybe trade up for the DT from Georgia?

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Why spend that draft capital for a backup to Gabe Davis? 

I think if the Bills did make this trade (which I do not see them doing) they would move Diggs to the slot where he would be super lethal (they likely cut Beasley to save on the cap) and have Davis and DK outside.

I think the differences between the Bills in 2020 that traded a 1st and 4th for Diggs vs the 2022 Bills is two fold. For one the Bills have Diggs a true WR1 on the roster in 2022, the Bills in 2020 were in desperate need of a WR1. Secondly Josh is on the final year of his rookie deal as opposed to just two years in.

Sustaining a good team around Josh is best done by retaining talent and drafting well not splashy trades giving up both draft and cap capital.

4 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I'm starting to get on that train but I think defense needs to be upgraded too.  Maybe trade up for the DT from Georgia?

I am hoping for Kenyon Green the guard falls. I think Green short term add tremendous depth and can push Bates and D Williams at both guard spots. Then he can take over for either player in 2023 and help sustain good Oline play around Josh for years to come. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.