Josh Allen Rookie card sold for $264, 000, value is now at $312,000

HOUSE

24 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Someone mentioned that on twitter. I spent a while trying to find anything I could that showed “rookie” on the back. All I could find was the players name. It would be weird to use a game Jersey that said rookie in a mini camp. They use practice jerseys and I don’t see them being super secret with the media if they did have them change to a different Jersey than normal unless it was some type of rookie hazing. 

Edit- Someone else mentioned the card companies have them wear a Jersey at an event and cut it up after. I wouldn’t want the card if that were the case. Game worn or nothing for me. 

Clearly there is a market for it no matter what either of us think.

• Agree 1

Just looked at this a little more:

If you go to PSA’s site and look up the serial number of the card….43579193 it gives you some more detail and a better picture of the card.  The things I saw as edge imperfections seem to have been merely reflections.  The card is numbered 3/10 and is the only one of those 10 so far to be graded gem mint 10.  There are likely others out there that are still ungraded and probably some graded lower or graded by other companies.

The most interesting thing to me is that this exact card was purchased on EBay in April 2020 for just under $7000.  7k to 312k in just under 2 years is ok.  Note that the seller did not likely get the full amount.  The 312k usually is inclusive of a 20% buyers premium when Goldin is the auction house.  Still.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Yankees have a minor leaguer whose card sold for almost $500K recently.

Josh Allen is one of the greatest players in the more popular sport and his card only sold for only $300K?

Meh.

Card market is totally illogical.

It’s not.  It’s wild and crazy but not illogical.  Football cards generally rank third behind baseball and basketball.  Baseball cards have a much longer history.  The card you mention was serial numbered 1/1 where Allen’s is 1/10.  The Dominguez purchase is crazy if you ask me; kid can’t even spell his own first name properly….but lesser cards of Mike Trout like 1/25; 1/50, etc. go for millions.  If Dominguez becomes Trout that card will prove to be a good investment.  The Yankees are still the king and rank way above the Angels and that comes into play as well.  The odds of Dominguez becoming Trout are not realistic at all  but if he does……

11 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s not.  It’s wild and crazy but not illogical.  Football cards generally rank third behind baseball and basketball.  Baseball cards have a much longer history.  The card you mention was serial numbered 1/1 where Allen’s is 1/10.  The Dominguez purchase is crazy if you ask me; kid can’t even spell his own first name properly….but lesser cards of Mike Trout like 1/25; 1/50, etc. go for millions.  If Dominguez becomes Trout that card will prove to be a good investment.  The Yankees are still the king and rank way above the Angels and that comes into play as well.  The odds of Dominguez becoming Trout are not realistic at all  but if he does……

This. There are a ton of variations between sports, between lines of cards, low runs of certain cards, etc. Unless you are very up to date a lot can seem inconsistent.

Huge money in NBA cards. Hunting for a Doncic rookie luckily got me back in long enough to grab some Allen rookies. In general it’s an overly expensive hobby these days.

My Josh cards are out of 25 (flawless gold rookie patch auto) and out of 15 (flawless signature glove) both grades BGS 9.5. I see no reason to sell now, but I doubt they ever hit some of these lofty marks. 

Edited by Rockpile233

4 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

This. There are a ton of variations between sports, between lines of cards, low runs of certain cards, etc. Unless you are very up to date a lot can seem inconsistent.

Huge money in NBA cards. Hunting for a Doncic rookie got me back in momentarily long enough to luckily grab some Allen rookies. In general it’s an overly expensive hobby these days.

My Josh cards are out of 25 (flawless gold rookie patch auto) and out of 15 (flawless signature glove) both grades BGS 9.5. I see no reason to sell now, but I doubt they ever hit some of these lofty marks. 

Those are nice cards.  A BGS 9.5 could be a PSA 10.  Do they list sub grades?  I have an ungraded Allen rookie NT dual patch /25 and the patches are nice.  One is part of the Buffalo.  No auto though.  Grading is expensive and a pain in the butt.  If I ever decide it is time to sell I’ll get certain cards graded.  I have a few PSA 10 Allen rookies, serial numbered but no patch or auto.  They are nice but not the upscale brands.  Personally I am not a huge fan of Prizm but that is what people buy of the “regular” cards.  I typically like the look of Select, Elite, Mosaic and even Donruss Optic more.  

I think football might be the way to go for the future.  No way can hoop keep the upward trajectory it had.  Baseball will always be around, especially the older guys and the market is mature.  One thing I think is that pitchers, even old time HOF guys carry far less value than hitters based on their historical status.  Nolan Ryan seems to be the exception but guys like Bob Gibson are pretty cheap when compared to their peer hitters.  I’m not sure I see new baseball guys maintaining the sport’s edge in cards over new football guys.  The serial number thing and wide variety of brands/ high end variety evened those things out.  Non-QBs in football seem undervalued to me.  A real prospect like Jeff Okudah should not cost about the same as a certain QB flameout like Eason or Ehlinger IMO.

10 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Those are nice cards.  A BGS 9.5 could be a PSA 10.  Do they list sub grades?  I have an ungraded Allen rookie NT dual patch /25 and the patches are nice.  One is part of the Buffalo.  No auto though.  Grading is expensive and a pain in the butt.  If I ever decide it is time to sell I’ll get certain cards graded.  I have a few PSA 10 Allen rookies, serial numbered but no patch or auto.  They are nice but not the upscale brands.  Personally I am not a huge fan of Prizm but that is what people buy of the “regular” cards.  I typically like the look of Select, Elite, Mosaic and even Donruss Optic more.  

I think football might be the way to go for the future.  No way can hoop keep the upward trajectory it had.  Baseball will always be around, especially the older guys and the market is mature.  One thing I think is that pitchers, even old time HOF guys carry far less value than hitters based on their historical status.  Nolan Ryan seems to be the exception but guys like Bob Gibson are pretty cheap when compared to their peer hitters.  I’m not sure I see new baseball guys maintaining the sport’s edge in cards over new football guys.  The serial number thing and wide variety of brands/ high end variety evened those things out.  Non-QBs in football seem undervalued to me.  A real prospect like Jeff Okudah should not cost about the same as a certain QB flameout like Eason or Ehlinger IMO.

They do list subgrades and can be looked up through Becketts population report. I love my RPA /25 it’s a four color patch that looks really sharp. 

Centering- 9.5

Edges - 9.5

Corners - 9.5

surface -9

auto -10

I don’t have the glove card in front of me but was similar. I’ve thought about waiting and having PSA regrade them because there seems to be a slight price premium between PSA 10 and BGS 9.5 even if quality is the same. The long lead times have turned me off to that. Just holding and admiring!

I agree with your other points. I have a lot of NBA prizms due to the value people place on them, but there’s so much garbage hard to get anything valuable. Football seems to be QB or bust, which is why I never bought a lot apart from Allen.

Edited by Rockpile233

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's insane. 

Only thing  it shows you is that a few have gobs upon gobs of disposable income while many others struggle...

Society @ this level isn't sustainable. 

Like!  Same.  Bags of them!

Bad take. This is not disposable income. Disposable income is when you spend $10,000 to take a family trip to Hawaii. That money is gone forever. Someone bought this as an asset and they are speculating that it will some day be worth MORE than what they paid. It's an investment whether you agree with the vehicle or not. Some people have money in a 401k, some have it in their house, some have it in their car. Everyone's priorities are different so let them do what they want. For all you know someone emptied their retirement savings to buy this hoping it will some day be worth double. You think the 1% is buying up all of the football cards lol?

I used to buy and sell Rolex watches I certainly couldn't afford at the time, putting my entire savings into them. I'd make sometimes $500-1000 flipping them to other buyers. If someone saw me with a different expensive watch every week they might have thought how dare he spend that much on a stupid watch when people are struggling and they would have been very wrong about my situation. I'm not in the 1% either and I don't know anyone who is. There is definitely some wealth inequality but it's a very very small few who have unimaginable wealth like that but they also create jobs for us. I try to mind my own business and worry about my own situation. Nothing stopping any of us from buying some cards and selling them ourselves. You don't need to spend $300k to get into this hobby/business that's for sure and everyone has to start somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Hey at least the value is there 

some schmuck paid near half a mil for the last TD ball thrown by Tainted Tom after he announced his 1 month of rest retirement 

He should sue Brady 

You can't sue for being a dumbass...lol

I just found some old binders of trading cards (cards dated 1992-2001) in my basement. Not sure if any of them are worth any value but I imagine likely not. 

I looked up a few of the bigger names on cards I have, like a Peyton Manning that came back as being sold for 40ish bucks. 

I don’t have the know-how or the desire to try and sell individually. Anyone have insight into how I can flip these to someone who might use them? 

I think I’ll keep my bills cards, or at least some of them. The walk down memory lane reading the names was worth the 20 plus years of storage. 

I think my favorite I found was a Pat Mahomes card (His dad, on the twins) from the 90s. If I had only known!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.