Still the Juries out on Allen - Athletic Article Burrow, Allen or Herbert

Billsfan1972

Herbert or Mahomes will never both be a top 4 seed.  

The odds of them playing in the playoffs in the first or second round are pretty good.  

If the Chargers ever make the playoffs.  

I'm not sure I'm ready to crown Burrow as a top 3 guy after beating the Raiders at home and then Tannehill losing for the Titans in a 19-16 game.  Love his weapons - wish we had a Joe Mixon Jamar Chase AND Tee Higgins.  Where Josh has gotten zero YAC from his guys I'm betting Burrow is top 5

If we got anything right now the other AFC teams don't it's that we have a great chance at 6 wins in the division for the foreseeable future.  

But I'm pretty certain Miami will be trading for Wilson.   Even then I don't think I'd care. Watson yes.  But tea leaves saying his career might be done.  

Edited by Big Blitz

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Just one example - our season would have been over on 4th and 4 when Melvin Ingram knocked Spencer Brown on his *** if Burrow was our QB. I'm assuming this survey was done before the divisional round. At least I hope so.

Really?  My impression was that it was done after it because in the first paragraph it mentions Burrow's and Allen's memorable playoff performances.

Allen would be the 2nd player taken without question if the NFL was to redraft the whole league tomorrow.  And honestly, I am certain there are some GM's that would take him over Mahomes even though Mahomes would average out to going first overall.  

There isn't a QB in the league that can do something Josh cant do.  But there are some things Allen can do that no one else can, not even Mahomes.  

My guess it would go:  Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow.  I personally would take Herbert over Burrow, just feel like his extra mobility gives him an edge for me, and I think Burrow gets bailed out a lot by the talent at WR.  And I expect his arrogance to at some point begins to work against him, kind of like I think it does for Rodgers. But I think the choice between the two is a toss up across the league, so wouldn't surprise me to see Burrow go 3 over Herbert, especially if they upset the Chiefs this weekend.

36 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

But your assuming that how Allen made that 2 point play was the ONLY way to make that play.

Another QB … say Burrow … might analyze the defense … pre-snap … which is -a strength of his computer processing like brain…check to a better play and simply rip it in.

That is what is getting him the buzz.  The Manning-Like pre-snap mental processing power of diagnosing defenses and the coolness of Joe Namath.

Burrow is the most sacked QB in the NFL and was sacked nine times against Tennessee.

Real good job analyzing defenses pre-snap.

They won against the Titans mainly because of their Defense.  All the praise for Burrow as the first QB to win an NFL game being sacked 9 times is comical.  That's not something he should be proud of.  That's something that should be cause for him buying his whole D (and his kicker) gifts for.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

36 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

When I watch Burrow, I don't really see him make too many spectacular plays like we see from Mahomes and Allen, he throws a very nice, accurate ball, which will get him far, but he's not carrying a team on his back like Allen has already done several times. IMO Burrow (or Herbert for that matter) isn't even on the same level as Josh. I don't understand how anyone can watch the playoff games so far and seriously suggest that Burrow is better, that's insane.

I’m not sure what you are watching Burrow, but the guy is a stud.  His game isn’t running around, but he’s a lot like Brady in movement and taking teams apart, he’s WAY beyond his years.  From a classic QB standpoint, he’s probably a shade better than Allen.  Overall, Allen brings a more dynamic game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’m not sure what you are watching Burrow, but the guy is a stud.  His game isn’t running around, but he’s a lot like Brady in movement and taking teams apart, he’s WAY beyond his years.  

He's going to be 26 this year.  

Edited by Big Blitz

18 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Burrow is the most sacked QB in the NFL and was sacked nine times against Tennessee.

Real good job analyzing defenses pre-snap.

They won against the Titans mainly because of their Defense.  All the praise for Burrow as the first QB to win an NFL game being sacked 9 times is comical.  That's not something he should be proud of.  That's something that should be cause for him buying his whole D (and his kicker) gifts for.

This, just bizarre stuff that honestly should be a negative for him but the media has an agenda and that is to pump him up as much as possible.  Dude was on his back the whole game..

22 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’m not sure what you are watching Burrow, but the guy is a stud.  His game isn’t running around, but he’s a lot like Brady in movement and taking teams apart, he’s WAY beyond his years.  From a classic QB standpoint, he’s probably a shade better than Allen.  Overall, Allen brings a more dynamic game.

Disagree Allen just made the number 4 receiver on the Bills look like Jerry Rice in Arrowhead when Burrow does that with any receiver not named Chase or Higgins then he’ll have an argument  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Disagree Allen just made the number 4 receiver on the Bills look like Jerry Rice in Arrowhead when Burrow does that with any receiver not named Chase or Higgins then he’ll have an argument  

Davis is no number 4, he’s the only real outside threat on the team besides Diggs, but you can think whatever you want.

I read this, was a little surprised where Josh was ranked but it also said something like if one vote was different then Josh and Joe would’ve been tied at the one spot. Seemed like Burrow got a lot of praise for his vision and decision making. He does see the field well and he, much like Josh, make you feel like you’ve always got a chance with them in there. The thing that separates Josh from the two of them is how good he is when a play breaks down. He also has an insane knack for eluding pressure. There have been so many times you see defenders swarming him and you’re like, “Dang, they got him” only for him to squeak outta there, spin around, deke a guy out of his shorts and then fire a rocket 30 yards down the field. Burrow doesn’t have that element. He needs a clean pocket on a consistent basis and that OL rarely gives it to him. Titans scored nine sacks on the kid last week. I can’t see how KC’s front four is gonna be contained any better. And some of y’all thought losing Quinton Spain was a mistake. Dude got his hind quarters handed to him all day last week. 

I don’t feel I’ve seen quite enough of Herbert to make a solid assessment but he seems prone to flukey/weird stretches at times where his decision making goes out the window. 

I’m obviously biased but I’ll pick Josh Allen a million times over. Since his rookie year I’ve had the feeling that the kid is simply a gamer. It might not always be pretty, but at the end of the day, he gives you a shot to win. And since then he’s just gotten better and better. I’m not one to get into my feelings too much over this sport but after how he played in these final two games, my mind flipped a switch from, “Man, I just don’t think it’s in the cards for the Buffalo Bills to win the Super Bowl, not in my lifetime anyway” to “Josh Allen and the Bills absolutely WILL bring a Lombardi trophy home to Buffalo, he’s simply too good for it not to happen.” I’ve never had that sense or feeling with this team ever, but now I really feel it. I just don’t think he’s going to be denied and he’s going to get it done. The flip side of this feeling is I started feeling it with 13 seconds left…had they won, I honestly believe they would’ve taken it all. I think they would’ve beaten Cinci to a pulp here at home and it doesn’t matter, give them the Rams or Niners, they would’ve beat either. They were on fire offensively and I believe the D would’ve found a way to do just enough. Dang it. Now I’m sad all over again. 

45 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

For people who have problems with Burrow Style … it might be a long 12-14 more years.

It won’t be flashy or jaw dropping circus plays like Mahomes, Allen, Lamar (hopefully Fields and Lance).

Burrows style is SURGICAL.

The game will end and you won’t have any OMG athletic plays and then look at his stat line

27-34 for 321 and 3 TDs

Rushing 2 Carries for 7 yards.

Bengals win 27-17.

it’s really just style.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, FieldGeneral said:

Didn't Herbert have the best rookie season ever? Isn't Burrow in an AFC Championship game in his 2nd year the season after tearing an ACL? What is it about our players not getting all the accolades that riles people up?

It's fine to call Burrow and Herbert great.  What riles us up is that Allen is better than them... clearly better than them.  And there's still a seeming stubbornness among what are probably a lot of the analytics guys in the business.

If there's anything I think we should notice after this weekend (and based on Beane's comments, I think he does) it's that we need offensive weapons that can run after the catch.

All of the teams remaining in the playoffs are top 10 in YAC in the NFL with KC at #1, Cincy at #4, SF at #8 and LAR and #10.  Having weapons like Chase, Samuel, Hill, Kelce & Kupp and having a gameplan that gets them quick short passes that they can potentially take to the house has been severely lacking in Buffalo's offense.

What riles us up is that it's so obvious that Josh Allen essentially has to carry the team on his back and has done it successfully without legitimately Elite weapons like those other teams.  And for as fantastic and blue-chip as I think Diggs and Davis are, their strengths are not YAC.  We need that please.

Jury still out on Allen?!?

The jury has delivered its verdict. Josh Allen is the best QB in the history of the Buffalo Bills and each appellate court including the Supreme Court has affirmed. 

Not to be outdone, the World Court in The Hague even found in favor of Josh.

Edited by Peter
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.