A Positive way to look at last Sunday

MAJBobby

4 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

13 ***** seconds. I'm still pissed.

It is still tough to take, no doubt.

But consider this: the game was basically a rematch of last year's championship game.

We played to basically the same level 2 seasons in a row.

The difference is that last year we were OUTCLASSED by KC and had no shot against them.

This year, we played them even and in fact should have won the game.

We made a big improvement from last year to this year IMO.

Not reflected in the record or how deep we went in the playoffs--technically speaking--but an improvement nonetheless.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If that's true, then why for the love of God are people talking about drafting a defensive lineman, a CB, or a frigging LB! 

Go find me another Kelce!  I am hoping Knox turns into one!

Cos personally this year I don't believe that was true. It was more true in last year's AFCCG. 

That said for the first two days of the draft no DL or LB please.

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah it Sucks. Because this was going to the Super Bowl. I get it. I have lived through four straight losses. However that being said. 

What Sunday sealed for me if our window is wide open for the next Decade and a Half. 

Josh. Just please for the love us everything holy. GET ME ONE!!!!!  Get me a single trophy and I can forget ALL the hurt to get us there. 

now on to my offseason stuff on State of the Bills posts. 

Josh was perfect. McDermott blew it worse than any coach has ever blown any game like that.

At least Norwood was trying to make the kick. Wade could’ve told them to watch for the lateral, but can you really blame him? 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Josh was perfect. McDermott blew it worse than any coach has ever blown any game like that.

At least Norwood was trying to make the kick. Wade could’ve told them to watch for the lateral, but can you really blame him? 

There's no way they should have lost that game.  The coaches just went stupid with the defensive game plan.  I'm talking the entire game.  And the last 13 seconds just magnified that problem to the extreme.  They probably presented the only defensive alignment you can draw up that would give an offense the chance to get into FG range in that situation.   They were so afraid of giving up the big play over the top that they forgot about giving up two very easy pitch and catch plays underneath to get the necessary yardage.  And did they even realize the Chiefs had all three time outs?  They played it like they had none.  In their wildest dreams Reid and the Chiefs could not have expected a better situation to be presented to them on those last few plays.  It couldn't have been any easier.  I mean what were Frazier and McDermott thinking?  What's the worst thing we can do?  Okay, let's try that!

Not a single pass defended was recorded by the defense during the entire game.  How's that possible?  As another poster pointed out on another topic playing the safeties so deep on almost every play made it a 9 on 11 game for the Chiefs.  But after the game the HC explains it away as an execution problem.  Sure it was.  Nobody believes that.  They too the defense and made them play passive and made them think too much rather than just go out and make plays. 

The positive is this passive approach to defense against the Chiefs needs to be replaced with something a little more aggressive and a little more creative.  All doubts about that are gone.  They coached out the defense's instincts and aggressiveness.  A change is needed.  As the defense needs to adopt the persona of the offense.  Go for it!  And stop playing scared.  Our HC learned to be more aggressive with the offense.  Now he needs to learn with the defense and overcome his natural tendencies to play it the too safe. 

The other positive is this game confirms Josh Allen is a superstar.  And now the job is to provide him some protection, and a better running game to keep him healthy and dialing back on the designed runs in the game plan to cut the hits on our QB next season.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

13 ***** seconds. I'm still pissed.

Same here. I don't think I will get over it until the Bills get back into the playoffs and make another run. I said it before but the Bills should have held Hill and Kelce at the LOS and take the 5 yard holding penalty. Chiefs get it at the 30 but so what. They would have only had about 6 or 7 seconds left. Time for only a hail mary and that is assuming Mahomes can reach the end zone from 70 yards away

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I have to believe that with Tre, the defense makes at least one play. And that’s really all it would have took. Add in a CB with pick 25, some OL depth, and maybe an edge rusher. Could be even better next season. We will see. 

Denver went out and got good corners this past offseason and their D gave KC a ton of trouble. I'm down with a CB at 25 IF of course it's a player they believe and have a high grade on. If they're tied at WR and CB in their evaluation for BPA, I'm taking CB.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

There's no way they should have lost that game.  The coaches just went stupid with the defensive game plan.  I'm talking the entire game.  And the last 13 seconds just magnified that problem to the extreme.  They probably presented the only defensive alignment you can draw up that would give an offense the chance to get into FG range in that situation.   They were so afraid of giving up the big play over the top that they forgot about giving up two very easy pitch and catch plays underneath to get the necessary yardage.  And did they even realize the Chiefs had all three time outs?  They played it like they had none.  In their wildest dreams Reid and the Chiefs could not have expected a better situation to be presented to them on those last few plays.  It couldn't have been any easier.  I mean what were Frazier and McDermott thinking?  What's the worst thing we can do?  Okay, let's try that!

Not a single pass defended was recorded by the defense during the entire game.  How's that possible?  As another poster pointed out on another topic playing the safeties so deep on almost every play made it a 9 on 11 game for the Chiefs.  But after the game the HC explains it away as an execution problem.  Sure it was.  Nobody believes that.  They too the defense and made them play passive and made them think too much rather than just go out and make plays. 

The positive is this passive approach to defense against the Chiefs needs to be replaced with something a little more aggressive and a little more creative.  All doubts about that are gone.  They coached out the defense's instincts and aggressiveness.  A change is needed.  As the defense needs to adopt the persona of the offense.  Go for it!  And stop playing scared.  Our HC learned to be more aggressive with the offense.  Now he needs to learn with the defense and overcome his natural tendencies to play it the too safe. 

The other positive is this game confirms Josh Allen is a superstar.  And now the job is to provide him some protection, and a better running game to keep him healthy and dialing back on the designed runs in the game plan to cut the hits on our QB next season.

Frazier and McD deserve to be roasted for the defensive scheme in those last 13 seconds but where were Hyde and Poyer?  They are supposed to be vets and almost like coaches on the field.  They should have been doing something out there to get the guys aligned and playing up tight, so as soon as someone caught the ball, immediate tackle.

6 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Agreed, but I’d argue for a 2 man show. Even if Allen was the one delivering the ball, Davis with 4 TDS was balling out. 

Not even Jerry Rice had a playoff game like that. Can we please leave Gabe as our WR2 and stop being stupid by minimizing his targets. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I'd say the window is about 10 years, especially within the next 2 or 3 while Josh is still a great duel threat. In the later years, he won't be running like that. 

Elway could never win one when he was somewhat of a duel threat. He didn't run like Josh but he ran effectively. Once he got older and became more of a pocket passer he won two Super Bowls. Of course he also didn't need to run when he had Terrell Davis. As for the window being open it depends on the job Beane does with future drafts, FA, and managing the cap. The Pats kept their window open for about 20 years. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I'd say the window is about 10 years, especially within the next 2 or 3 while Josh is still a great duel threat. In the later years, he won't be running like that. 

This is so true. If we want to utilize his legs, we gotta get one before he turns 30. Then I think he'll get another later on down the road as a cagey veteran. 

Beane will add more quality pieces and they'll go get after it again in 6 months. 

no "rebuilding",

no "oh my gosh the schedule is so tough" ,

no "our QB isn't good enough" ,

no " we are in Cap jail",

no, "rick dennison is our OC and we are screwed"

none of these.  gotta love what the Bills are now.     

Josh is a Super Bowl caliber QB.

Beane has built something that's close to being a SB caliber roster.

McD ended the drought and has only missed the playoffs once.  

It seems like good things are coming together.

If I have a worry, it's this...   What makes Josh so terrifying isn't just his arm talent, it's his ability to make plays on the run.   So maybe we have a five-year prime window?  

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Josh is a Super Bowl caliber QB.

Beane has built something that's close to being a SB caliber roster.

McD ended the drought and has only missed the playoffs once.  

It seems like good things are coming together.

If I have a worry, it's this...   What makes Josh so terrifying isn't just his arm talent, it's his ability to make plays on the run.   So maybe we have a five-year prime window?  

I think our window can be longer depending on how well Beane can put a competitive team around Josh. When he gets older and becomes more of a pocket passer I don't think it will take away from his effectiveness at all given the way he throws the ball. Think of how Elway's career went. I could see a similar type of career for Josh.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cos personally this year I don't believe that was true. It was more true in last year's AFCCG. 

That said for the first two days of the draft no DL or LB please.

Disagree with the first sentence; highly agree with the second.

😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.