Coaching McDermott?

wagne591

I was wondering if the Bills invite someone to camp...maybe a former coach who has experienced the stress of game situations to drill McDermott on a daily basis?  I know McD always says he will look at the tape and figure out what we can do better and he has always said that but the results aren't showing up on the field and in crunch time. 

-  It seems like he holds on to TO's for situations where the TO's could be better used to defuse or settle down situations (like maybe that kickoff with 13 seconds left to make sure "trust but verify" Bass had the plan if there was any doubt and to talk a little longer with the D to ensure all are on the same page) 

-  Or McD says well we thought about doing that (like holding the receivers once to kill 5 of the 13 seconds) 

-  Or just practice strategies with a former coach who has been in his shoes?

The reason i say training camp because I feel like the coach for McD can bring up the situations when McD is not ready for them or doesn't know they are coming and he can give his answer.  

Also has anyone ever heard of a football team having a game manager on the sidelines instead of a coach like in baseball.  Someone who just manages the game? I didn't want to take anything away from McD but it might be nice to have a game manager sitting next to him during the game to be feeding him information and communicating with the Analysts instead of McD doing it.  That is not a knock on McD just a way to take some off McD's plate.  Thoughts...

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Ya know, you're either smart or stupid. So tired of him having to learn from his mistakes. He usually makes the appropriate corrections but will make a new mistake. Maybe he was so flustered about getting the kick type wrong that it affected the 2 defensive schemes (or lack thereof). Does Jordan run any coaching clinics?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Andy Ried? 

Marv

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

McD needs anti-choking classes, desperately.

They got burned by hill on the final TD drive and he probably felt with 13 seconds they couldn't score if they laid back. However this was/is always a mistake, need to press coverage and double to keep them from throwing the ball.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I have thought about this sort of thing a lot lately.

A HC in the NFL is like 4 or 5 job titles rolled into 1 person.

I think the model is outdated and not up to date with the speed and complexity of the game.

For example, most important in-game decisions should be made by the "decision team"  which should be really smart guys with Ph.Ds in statistics.

All challenges should be handled by a challenge team that is in place purely for challenges, and so on.

And look at how much time/thought/energy McDermott wastes harping at the officials all game!  They all do it! 

What a waste!  Get someone on staff to yell at the refs if you think that is productive (it's not).

10 years from now I think the smarter NFL teams will have systems more like what I am describing.

They do it the way they do it now b/c that is the way it has always been done.

But it's not 1948 anymore.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

45 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Ya know, you're either smart or stupid. So tired of him having to learn from his mistakes. He usually makes the appropriate corrections but will make a new mistake. Maybe he was so flustered about getting the kick type wrong that it affected the 2 defensive schemes (or lack thereof). Does Jordan run any coaching clinics?

Jordan Palmer himself pointed out that there's no substitute for actual experience playing in big games - it's not something he can replicate or the Bills coaches can replicate during drills or practice.

Similar would be true learning to manage as the HC in big games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wagne591 said:

I was wondering if the Bills invite someone to camp...maybe a former coach who has experienced the stress of game situations to drill McDermott on a daily basis?  I know McD always says he will look at the tape and figure out what we can do better and he has always said that but the results aren't showing up on the field and in crunch time. 

-  It seems like he holds on to TO's for situations where the TO's could be better used to defuse or settle down situations (like maybe that kickoff with 13 seconds left to make sure "trust but verify" Bass had the plan if there was any doubt and to talk a little longer with the D to ensure all are on the same page) 

-  Or McD says well we thought about doing that (like holding the receivers once to kill 5 of the 13 seconds) 

-  Or just practice strategies with a former coach who has been in his shoes?

The reason i say training camp because I feel like the coach for McD can bring up the situations when McD is not ready for them or doesn't know they are coming and he can give his answer.  

Also has anyone ever heard of a football team having a game manager on the sidelines instead of a coach like in baseball.  Someone who just manages the game? I didn't want to take anything away from McD but it might be nice to have a game manager sitting next to him during the game to be feeding him information and communicating with the Analysts instead of McD doing it.  That is not a knock on McD just a way to take some off McD's plate.  Thoughts...

So let me get this straight... he's hands off the O, D, and ST because he trusts his Coordinators... now he needs a game manager for him... remind me again what exactly he's doing? 

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

So let me get this straight... he's hands off the O, D, and ST because he trusts his Coordinators... now he needs a game manager for him... remind me again what exactly he's doing? 

I think that makes him in charge of orange slices at half time.  

It’s a great gig if you can get it!

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 5

The only way to improve is reps but unfortunately NFL teams only play 17 games a season, and when you're a very good team like the Bills, many of those games don't even put the coaches into high-leverage clutch situations.

McD needs to spend 8 hours a day with some sort of situational football simulator software, so he can increase his reps.  It's like how the best poker players in the world are 22-yr-old computer dorks who play 8 tables at once online.  They can see as many hands in two weeks as Doyle Brunson sees in a year.

Years ago, the biggest loser chokers were Wade Phillips and then Andy Reid, but Wade finally won a SB. That made me really mad when that happened.

Reid eventually put great people around him which offset his choking abilities during games and had just enough to finally win one. 

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.