Josh McDaniels to Raiders

YoloinOhio

Apparently it's legit that the Raiders have asked to interview him

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ap-source-raiders-make-request-to-interview-josh-mcdaniels/ar-AATdtnF

After what McDaniels pulled with the Colts, and something that went on with the Browns, I'm like "really?  can't you find someone else to talk to?"

And then there's this:

But his first experience as head coach fell apart quickly following a 6-0 start in 2009 after he traded away quarterback Jay Cutler in one of his first moves. Denver finished 8-8 that season and McDaniels was fired with a 3-9 record in 2010, losing 17 of his final 22 games as coach.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/dj-williams-talks-about-broncos-cheating-under-josh-mcdaniels/ar-AASKJaE

DJ Williams, who played linebacker for the Broncos from 2004-2012, reflected on McDaniels’ tenure as head coach in Denver during an appearance on the “I Am Athlete” podcast this week. He recalled how McDaniels was fined after an assistant was caught filming a San Francisco 49ers’ walkthrough in London in 2010. Williams said Broncos players realized at that point that the only reason they had a good stretch under McDaniels was because they were cheating.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl-news/191897-chiefs-punter-todd-haley-believed-josh-mcdaniels-cheated-in-matchup

After he was fired by Denver, McDaniels took the OC job with the then-St Louis Rams to work with then-promising young QB Sam Bradford.

As a rookie, under Pat Shurmer as OC, Bradford looked promising:

60% completions, 18 TD to 15 INT, 220 ypg.  Not setting the world on fire, but the team went 7-7

As a 2nd year QB under McDaniels as OC, Bradford sucked:

54% completions, 6 TD to 6 INT, 216 ypg, got injured: team was 1-9 when he played

Next season, under OC Brian Schottenheimer:

60% completions, 21 TD to 13 INT, 230 ypg

I will say that Mac Jones has played very very well with him, so maybe he's learned something from both those experiences.

But it does make me wonder about guys getting 2nd and 3rd chances who have already screwed up, vs. guys who perhaps deserve a shot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Why is McDaniels still a hot candidate?  The ***** has he done recently?

5 super bowl rings and just coached a first round pick to the best rookie season of the draft despite being viewed as firmly before 3 others. 

Not saying I think he'll be good, especially given the track record of BB assistants,  but he's been very successful. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.