PFWA names Belichick as NFL executive of the year

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Significant roster turnover happens every year for almost every team. Especially bad teams. That doesn't mean they are all undergoing a full rebuild.

What team didn't add receivers, TE's, and RB's? What team didn't add defensive starters?

How many playoff teams drafted a QB and completely replaced their WR, TE, RBs and made the playoffs this year?

30 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

How many playoff teams drafted a QB and completely replaced their WR, TE, RBs and made the playoffs this year?

The Patriots didn't completely replace their WR's or their RB's. Not sure why you are even saying that. They added pieces to those two groups for sure. They did sign two new TE's and also drafted a QB.

I am not saying the Patriots are terrible. I just don't think they are rebuilding. Bill Belichick has tried to maintain what he has while adding more offensive weapons because their offense has been devoid of talent for a few years, even when Tom Brady was there. They were an average to below average team last season and got themselves to an above average team this season, and a big part of that was getting opt out players back and yes, some of their signings and draft picks.

I don't think what Belichick did warrants anything close to an award, especially since a bunch of his signings underperformed.

They are not rebuilding. They are trying to maintain what talent they have and add more weapons (basically what every single other team is doing).

20 hours ago, Draconator said:

BUT WAIT!!! THERE'S MORE!!!!!

BB - I am not shocked, his team way over achieved to the offseason expectations.  He nearly won the division, something no one thought they would come close to with a rookie QB that has a noodle arm.

Vrabel - Deserves it.  To somehow maintain winning and get the #1 seed knocking off some tough teams after losing Henry was remarkable coaching job.  I thought they were toast when Henry went down.  

Quinn - I dont have a huge issue with this, I think there were a lot of worthy candidates this year.  But their defense out performed expectations and had 2 guys have exceptional seasons on it.  

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

BB - I am not shocked, his team way over achieved to the offseason expectations.  He nearly won the division, something no one thought they would come close to with a rookie QB that has a noodle arm.

Vrabel - Deserves it.  To somehow maintain winning and get the #1 seed knocking off some tough teams after losing Henry was remarkable coaching job.  I thought they were toast when Henry went down.  

Quinn - I dont have a huge issue with this, I think there were a lot of worthy candidates this year.  But their defense out performed expectations and had 2 guys have exceptional seasons on it.  

Why are you being logical and making sense? This is TBD!!!

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did every team spend $69MM on two TE's that did bupkis?

What does that have to do with it? Did they win 10 or more games, were they in the playoffs? Were they not removed from SB contention about 2 season ago with players leaving and what not. ha ha this is hilarious to me..i just thought it was sour grapes, but now i see a lot of fans just do not understand how Football and things around it work. 

hilarious thinking he is getting award just cause...a man that is more decorative than any other coach in the NFL...ha ha

Edited by Ghost_002!

2 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

What does that have to do with it? Did they win 10 or more games, were they in the playoffs? Were they not removed from SB contention about 2 season ago with players leaving and what now. ha ha this is hilarious to me..i just thought it was sour grapes, now i see a lot of fans just do not understand how Football and things around it work. 

hilarious thinking he is getting award...a man that is more decorative then any other coach in the NFL...ha ha

Signed, Ghost_PFWA

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Every other team lost the best QB in history, spent a first round pick on a QB, and got all new WR, TE, and RB? Wow. Plus a new defensive leader. Wow.

yea i wouldn't waste my time..when it is universally recognized as such and a fans are telling you and others such as Boomer Esiason or respected journalism they are wrong. You just have to walk away in shake your head. 

1 hour ago, Ghost_002! said:

What does that have to do with it? Did they win 10 or more games, were they in the playoffs? Were they not removed from SB contention about 2 season ago with players leaving and what not. ha ha this is hilarious to me..i just thought it was sour grapes, but now i see a lot of fans just do not understand how Football and things around it work. 

hilarious thinking he is getting award just cause...a man that is more decorative than any other coach in the NFL...ha ha

What does it have to do with it? How can you be executive of the year when you spent almost $70MM on two players that barely did anything for you?

2 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

In what way do you find Bill Belichick decorative?

A nice corner piece, perhaps?

3 hours ago, MJS said:

The Patriots didn't completely replace their WR's or their RB's. Not sure why you are even saying that. They added pieces to those two groups for sure. They did sign two new TE's and also drafted a QB.

I am not saying the Patriots are terrible. I just don't think they are rebuilding. Bill Belichick has tried to maintain what he has while adding more offensive weapons because their offense has been devoid of talent for a few years, even when Tom Brady was there. They were an average to below average team last season and got themselves to an above average team this season, and a big part of that was getting opt out players back and yes, some of their signings and draft picks.

I don't think what Belichick did warrants anything close to an award, especially since a bunch of his signings underperformed.

They are not rebuilding. They are trying to maintain what talent they have and add more weapons (basically what every single other team is doing).

RBs with 20 carries or more in 2019:

Sony Michel 247, James White 67, Rex Burkhead 65... all 3 gone. Harris was a rookie played 2 games got 4 carries. 

In 2021 it was Harris 202 and Stevenson 133 that carried the backfield.  Stevenson a rookie.  Harris played 2 games 4 carries on 19.

Their TEs were completely turned over. Watson and Lacrosse to Smith and Henry. 

WR targets (10+) went from Edlemen 153, Dorsett 54, Sanu 47, Myers 41, Josh Gordon 36, Harry 24   and turned over to Myers 126, Bourne 70, Agholor 64, Harry 22.

Neverm8nd from Brady to a rookie QB in Jones.

Half the roster, half the snaps, and key players. 

Stop letting your patriot hatred blind you.  They rebuilt in 1 year, made the playoffs, and we smoked them.  Bills team is superior to them, they are no threat... 

Just because they didn't nuke the org like the Bills used to do every 3 years doesn't mean they didn't rebuild.

35 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

RBs with 20 carries or more in 2019:

Sony Michel 247, James White 67, Rex Burkhead 65... all 3 gone. Harris was a rookie played 2 games got 4 carries. 

In 2021 it was Harris 202 and Stevenson 133 that carried the backfield.  Stevenson a rookie.  Harris played 2 games 4 carries on 19.

Their TEs were completely turned over. Watson and Lacrosse to Smith and Henry. 

WR targets (10+) went from Edlemen 153, Dorsett 54, Sanu 47, Myers 41, Josh Gordon 36, Harry 24   and turned over to Myers 126, Bourne 70, Agholor 64, Harry 22.

Neverm8nd from Brady to a rookie QB in Jones.

Half the roster, half the snaps, and key players. 

Stop letting your patriot hatred blind you.  They rebuilt in 1 year, made the playoffs, and we smoked them.  Bills team is superior to them, they are no threat... 

Just because they didn't nuke the org like the Bills used to do every 3 years doesn't mean they didn't rebuild.

Thanks for proving my point. They didn't completely replace their running backs and receivers.

This is a simple disagreement on what a rebuild is. In my opinion, what they did should not be considered a rebuild. Feel free to believe otherwise. I have said nothing bad about the Patriots.

They were an average team and got themselves to an above average team. That's all. Good for them. Not award worthy in any stretch of the imagination.

If you would like to continue to repeat your opinions to me over and over again, go ahead. By this point I'm done. I've made my opinion clear.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:19 PM, MJS said:

Thanks for proving my point. They didn't completely replace their running backs and receivers.

This is a simple disagreement on what a rebuild is. In my opinion, what they did should not be considered a rebuild. Feel free to believe otherwise. I have said nothing bad about the Patriots.

They were an average team and got themselves to an above average team. That's all. Good for them. Not award worthy in any stretch of the imagination.

If you would like to continue to repeat your opinions to me over and over again, go ahead. By this point I'm done. I've made my opinion clear.

Okay, so the fact that you're saying they didn't completely replace their RBs because one of them had four carries last year already tells me you're arguing from a place of dishonesty.

But I'd like to jump in here anyway because clearly revamping the entire offense isn't enough for you to call it a rebuild. Maybe you're a defensive minded guy. Since 2019 the Patriots have lost Stephen Gilmore, Patrick Chung, Kyle Van Noy, Jamie Collins, Duron Harmon, Danny Shelton, Elandon Roberts, and Jason McCourty. 

So, if you're keeping track at home, since 2019 they've replaced starters for QB, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, TE1, TE2, LG, RT, DT, DE, LLB, RLB, CB1, CB2, SS. The ones that didn't change are LT, C, RG, MLB, FS. 

If you don't think that's a rebuild, then you just don't think any team has ever done a rebuild. If you can find any other team that's ever replaced more than 75% of their starters and you wouldn't consider them a rebuild, I'd love to see an example.

That being said, I do agree that spending $60 million on two TEs he barely even used probably disqualifies him from any GM awards.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:25 PM, FilthyBeast said:

I don't see any issues with this selection. Yes the Pats spent big in FA including some questionable contracts, but they did find the best QB in the draft at present which a big part of their success this year, if not the reason they were able to get back in the division and playoff mix so quickly after one down year post Brady.

The only other team that should probably have been in the running is the Rams for all the big time trades they made but perhaps the selection committee felt that wasn't fair since all they do is throw around 1st round picks for big name players which 31 other teams easily do if they wanted to sell out in the short term for longer term failure/rebuild.

They found the best QB in the draft?  I will first point out that remains to be seen.  I will secondly point out that Jones was pretty much the only QB left when the Pats drafted him.  Unless you want to count some guys that likely will never see more than the practice squad other than maybe Mills on the Texans.

Its not like Belichick identified his guy and went and got him.  Jones was the last QB taken for like 50 picks.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.