The Buffalo Bills 2022 off-season priorities - what are your top 5?

BuffaloBill

1. If Daboll leaves…. Ensure you’re comfortable w/ Dorsey as OC. Remember, McD is a defensive guy and to put the offense under such inexperience is a huge gamble. Who does Dorsey lean on???

2. Positionally… WR is a bigger need than most think. Beasley isn’t getting younger, Sanders will be gone. Diggs can easily be double teamed and bracketed. I’d like to see another big time WR brought in, possibly round 1 in draft. 

3. Cornerback, we need a stud that excels with McDs defense but can also man up and take away a WR1 to have more ability to blitz!!! I don’t know if that’s Tre White.

4. DE. We need a speed rusher that can get around the edge!!!

5. RB. I think we all were hoping for more with Zach Moss but he may be trade bait. Singletary is solid. RB1 solid, not so much, but could legitimately be the best 3rd down back in the league.

Runner Up.

DT, IOL. Gotta shore up the trenches. Reason they are down the list is because I see teams like Cincy, KC etc who in 1 year drafted a few guys for the line and shored things up. 

We need 1-2 legit offensive weapons WR/RB and speed off the edge. Blitz more and ability to take away WR1s in doing so.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

agree with overall assesments as far as needs...esp resigning #99 and make and effort to resign LevI Wallace and Hughes which may not happen the best FAs are your own...which was last year strategy likely this years...

Beano did say they will make the effort to resign Levi

Total of 9 picks: #25, 57, 89, 126, 166  184 (from Car), 203,  228 (from ATL) , 243 - Beano is well-armed

(Teams eliminated in the Divisional round get picks 25-28)

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/full_draft

Since the future is NOW, I dont have a problem with moving up in the early rounds to get us that big nose tackle to replace Star, as we are kind of light otherwise (Harry, Oliver, Zimmer), AND corner which has not been a high pick since Trey (at #27)  even if it means moving multiple picks this year and possibly next year as well...as in early picks

I like your 1Tech NT and Corner priorities but wouldn't trade up to get them. 

1) Oline.....nothing more needs to be said here

2) DE.....edge rusher that can attack QB's or at least make them uncomfortable in the pocket

3) CB.......depth

4) TE.....another one to offset Knox for 2 TE sets

5) RB......a big bruising back that can carry the load on short yardage situations and add some thunder and lightening with Motor

If Buffalo can package a deal for a CB or pass rush DE with our #1/ #x I am aok with it. The Diggs trade worked out in an area of need very well in a similar trade. DE and CB are positions of need/ impact.

CB - It is a premium position. There are 5-7 CBs with a first round grade in this draft. Every mock has 1-2 available for the Bills pick at #25. Wallace is a FA and will get paid stupid money somewhere after his performance this year. It is like Josh Norman all over again. McDermott gets the most out of a DB, and then he goes elsewhere and is ok, but not worth what was paid. Tre White is not guaranteed to be ready week 1, or what condition he will be in. It is clear the Bills need to focus on getting home field advantage. We need to have to have 2 starting CBs ready week 1. FA DB market is soft, and Bills have little FA money. After Dane Jackson what is there to start at CB? Cam Lewis? Nick McCloud (like him, but not to start), Olijiah Griffin? Spot of need and top heavy draft depth. No brainer.

Ideally Buffalo trades their 1st and another pick to acquire an established CB with the #1/ #? a la Diggs trade. Sends a message that the Bills want to win now.

IOL - Buffalo passed on Creed Humphrey C at 61 last year and he went to KC at 63 instead. Humphrey grades out as a top 5 C after his rookie year by everyone. Oops. Could have had our Kent Hull-Jim Kelly in Creed Humphrey-Josh Allen, instead Patrick Mahomes get him. It shows impact IOL can be drafted here. Buffalo picks @57 this year. G or C is a good value pick. Ryan Bates is a RFA, no guarantee he returns. He is my #1 FA/RFA for the Bills to resign. Solid IOL investment is needed. A good OL helps JA be JA and helps RBs be better. Protect your franchise, and set the tone on offense.

1TDT - Star improves the team because he is one of maybe 2 true 1TDT on the team. He is also a weak tub of goo. Phillips did improve, but he is ok and is also a FA. This pick is as much about improving the run defense, as much as it is about improving Ed Oliver and potentially freeing up salary cap money or not extending an average guy.

RB - Singletary is the only NFL quality RB on the team. I still don't think he is a 3 down back. I'll leave it there. Fournette would be a good FA get if Brady retires. He would look great in a Bills uniform and could chase a ring with us. With Brady he showed he can catch passes. For a finesse team, having JA/ Fournette and Knox would add some physicality. Runs with an improved IOL and Fournette could lessen wear and tear on JA in must get 3rd/4th/goal line situations. If the Bills sign Fournette RB drops way down on the list. I wanted him the first time he hit FA. If not get a true bruiser or speed back. Add something dynamic to the backfield to help JA, especially is McKenzie walks. Breida and Moss are not it and Antonio Williams who flashed just walked out the door.

DE - Depends on what Buffalo does. Buffalo was very good at pressuring rookie/mediocre/backup QBs. But against the best they were pretty flat. I am ok moving on from Hughes, who will never get a holding call again. I am ok moving on from Addison, he of many pressures but few take downs. 3 premium picks have been spent here in the last 2-3 drafts. At some point these young guys have to step up and play. Is it coaching? Is it scheme? if a trade can be made for a stud DE, do it. otherwise let the young guys play, but be on the lookout for the Ingram style trades possible during the season, or a guy that falls in the draft.

WR - Depends on 2 things. Does McKenzie go elsewhere? Do the Bills cut Beasley? If so who is brought in at WR? Diggs/ Davis/ Knox is a good start. Another player is needed in the modern NFL. Plenty of intrigue in the FA market. Allen Robinson would be a stud fit, but does that relegate Davis to the slot? DJ Chark is 6'4' 200 with 4.3 speed, but can he stay healthy and produce? Options here for the Bills.

ST - P is Haak who we want with his slow approach? Jones (34), Neal, Kumerow (30) and Neal (28) are all FA. How many can the Bills keep? Who is the returner? McKenzie and Stevenson underwhelmed... Can ST stud be found in 6-7?

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin

Strictly about the player roster, my top 5 in some order would be:

• WR - Ideally, I'd love to enter the season with Davis as the #3 WR on paper, but maybe more realistically, he'll be the #2 and we have to find a #3. I do not want McKenzie to be the #3. Whoever we add to the fold would preferably play on the outside with Diggs on the outside and Davis in the slot.
  • Edge - I think this one goes without much explanation; we simply need to get a better pass rush.
  • #2 CB - I'd be content with just bringing Levi back, but seems like we may need to find a cheaper option.
  • IOL - I figure we bring Bates back but I would like to see an infusion of talent here.
  • LB - I would prefer we move on from Edmunds after his 5th year option rather than sign him to a massive contract (obviously depends how he performs next year though). In that event, I would like to have a LB waiting in the wings to replace him.

Just missing the cut would be the RB and TE position. Singletary and Knox are fine for the most part, but ideally Singletary would be a backup and we'd have a playable backup behind Knox.

4 hours ago, Sweats said:

1) Oline.....nothing more needs to be said here

2) DE.....edge rusher that can attack QB's or at least make them uncomfortable in the pocket

3) CB.......depth

4) TE.....another one to offset Knox for 2 TE sets

5) RB......a big bruising back that can carry the load on short yardage situations and add some thunder and lightening with Motor

Motor is NO lightning 

Not hard 

1. A space eater DT 

2. This offense needs another TE badly when Dawson went out we where nowhere near as good

3. Motor has really come on now need a complimentary back as Moss is just a bust 

4. A Speed Receiver who can do stuff after the catch

5. Secondary Depth

All things that can easily be done this offseason  

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

I am surprised that so many people consider as no. 1 priority anything else than OL.

Yes we need to solve CB situation, I'd love to have an impact pass rusher, we could use more speed at RB, we should have TE2 option, we need youth at WR position, but all of that is imo much less important than OL. Seems to me that people are fooled by how it worked last couple of games and forgot what was the main reason we lost to Steelers or Jags and how OL weak OL was in general. 

Once you have QB then OL is the single most important unit on the field. Good OL makes everyone better. It makes Josh's life easier. Imagine what he could do behing top OL. I'd do anything to make them better next year. Both stating five and depth need to get better.

I assume that Morse retires. If not, even better, but I wouldn't count on it. So here's what I would do:

1. Sign best IOL available in FA. If that means overpaying Scherff, so be it. I know we are tight in cap space, but this is one thing I'd do for sure. If not Scherff then Norwell or Jensen or whatever, just sign an IOL starter.

2. Re-sign Bates. If they really believe in him then make it 3year contract or so. Unless we get someone better I guess he becomes starting center.

3. Draft best IOL available in rounds 1-3, ideally in round 2 (round 1 WR or CB depending what we do in FA). Hopefully this guy will be better than any guard we have right now. Alternatively, if round 1 is too high for IOL, but there is OT available (Penning?), draft him and move Dawkins inside or to LT or whatever. If it makes line better, do it.

4. Draft one more IOL in later rounds.

5. Decide which 2 of Feliciano/Boettger/Ford are best in terms of quality/value/cap hit and keep them. Or maybe if there is another cheap FA better then all of them, keep only one and let 2 walk.

6. If Morse somehow doesn't retire then keep him and release one more guard.

So my OL next year:

Dawkins - top FA - Bates - draft pick - Brown (depth Williams as swing tackle, Doyle and 2 of Feliciano/Ford/Boettger/late draft pick/value FA)

If Morse stays Bates goes to bench.

If we draft OT in first just re-shuffle starting lineup somehow.

Edited by No_Matter_What

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.