The Buffalo Bills 2022 off-season priorities - what are your top 5?

BuffaloBill

If we lose Wallace I would say CB and I know I lot on here wont like hearing this but  DE.   I see no way AJ Epenesa is starting material and with losing Hughes/Addison its a huge hole.   The love to rotate and Im not sure Boogie is starting material either. Then G,  another NFL quality TE, DT big boy to replace Star.   LB so i can free up some money by cutting someone, WR, P

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Might switch DE for CB but otherwise I agree with everything. 

I base it off this...Buffalo plays more zone and got away with Levi Wallace for the large part of 2 seasons.  Another top zone corner at the going rate is lower on the priority list given the scheme and...you can never have enough good pass-rushers.  For as good as Brady is, he lost in 2 SB's to a team (NYG) that could flash multiple pass rushers.  

Downside is, shorter drops and faster throws mitigate pass rushers.  That being the case, scheme needs to adapt to those and, well, let's hope McD learned his lesson on Sunday that all the defensive assets in the world isn't going to off-set a bad defensive game plan or one that breaks down in crucial moments.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Beane hinted a little bit at priorities for the offseason. The following might be his list:

1) Replace Dabol or Frazier if they are hired away into a HC’ing position

2) CB position including #2 and depth - especially since there is still no clarity as to when Tre will be back to form

I think the two above were extremely clear from his comments. The next three are debatable:

3) Interior O-line

4) Defensive front - especially the interior

5) Depth at TE

As for me (I am assuming Dabol gets hired away and Frazier does not):

1) (BTW I do not have Dabol replacement here because I believe moving on to to Dorsey is a fait accompli) - focus on d-line: Addison and Hughes are gone from the D-line rotation unless Hughes takes a very team friendly one-year deal. The re-sign horrible Harry, take the option on Oliver and do the best they can to find Lotulelei’s eventual replacement - I also think they seek to get a pay cut from Lotulelei but my guess is he will not make concessions - (I think top three draft needs in this order are: CB, Interior DL and interior OL)

2) CB - they have to sign one veteran - probably not Wallace - and find at least 1 in the first three rounds of the draft

3) Interior o-line - I think the Bills in the draft go with CB or IOL as #1 / #2 in draft

4) Depth at TE (I think they find a really good value FA who wants to play on O with JA)

5) Speed at RB - round 3 or later in the draft

What are your thoughts?

I agree with most of yours but would like to see them sign a FA or trade for a DE w/ some burst. Their pass rush was ploddy against Mahomes, though it's fine against the statue type QB's, who may well be mystified by what they are seeing in coverage and hold the ball a tick long. Anything to make it harder for QB's to break the pocket and buy time. They were so close to Mahomes a number of times, any one of which could have changed the game. Hughes literally was a step away on the quick pass to Kelce for the fateful gain at the end of regulation. If someone had slowed Kelce even a trifle or if Hughes was a touch faster he may not have gotten it off.

I also see a veteran wide receiver to replace Sanders being in the mix. I'm not sure they want to wait on a drafted wideout given the window of opportunity they have now. Doesn't mean I'd mind them drafting one but think they might do both especially if Beasley's time is up here. 

It'll be interesting to see what the cap casualties are here and around the league. I expect the Bills to release players and free up cap room. Even if it is not a ton, any bit might help. Buffalo should be a preferred destination for some productive vets released elsewhere due to cap problems. Even if the Bills aren't in play for the Davonte Adams of the world (and damn wouldn't that be a dream) there should be guys that can help them that aren't outrageously expensive.

2 hours ago, BubbaT said:

I agree with most of yours but would like to see them sign a FA or trade for a DE w/ some burst. Their pass rush was ploddy against Mahomes, though it's fine against the statue type QB's, who may well be mystified by what they are seeing in coverage and hold the ball a tick long. Anything to make it harder for QB's to break the pocket and buy time. They were so close to Mahomes a number of times, any one of which could have changed the game. Hughes literally was a step away on the quick pass to Kelce for the fateful gain at the end of regulation. If someone had slowed Kelce even a trifle or if Hughes was a touch faster he may not have gotten it off.

I also see a veteran wide receiver to replace Sanders being in the mix. I'm not sure they want to wait on a drafted wideout given the window of opportunity they have now. Doesn't mean I'd mind them drafting one but think they might do both especially if Beasley's time is up here. 

It'll be interesting to see what the cap casualties are here and around the league. I expect the Bills to release players and free up cap room. Even if it is not a ton, any bit might help. Buffalo should be a preferred destination for some productive vets released elsewhere due to cap problems. Even if the Bills aren't in play for the Davonte Adams of the world (and damn wouldn't that be a dream) there should be guys that can help them that aren't outrageously expensive.

That's a good point, this front office has shown it likes to get proven veterans at reciever. If beane goes all in this year drafting an unproven rookie at reciever might not be an option. Gabe Davis becoming a star has really made things easier on the front office, imagine you lose to the Chiefs, then you start next year with you lose Sanders and possibly Mckenzie and beasley. If Gabe Davis didn't pan out the bills would be stressed this off season.

1. Offensive line ... Re-sign Bates to play LG or replace Morse at Center if he retires. If Bates moves to Center we need a LG because Feliciano and Boettger should be back ups only.

2. DT ... Horrible Harry needs to be re-signed and Star needs to be gone. Jordan Davis from Georgia in the first would be the run stuffer we've badly needed. If not Davis we need someone else who's as wide as he is tall.

3. CB ... White likely won't be ready for the start of the season and Wallace is a FA. Could Taron Johnson play outside ? ... Either way we still need help at CB

4. Slot WR ... McKittrick is likely gone and Beasley is getting older and more injury prone so we need some speed at the position

5. QB ... Josh Allen is the only QB on the roster as of now. I'd love to bring back Trubisky and draft a guy on day 3.

Draft rounds 1-3

1. Jordan Davis - DT - Georgia

2. Skyy Moore - WR - W. Michigan (4.24 40 time)

3. Storm Duck - CB - N.Carolina

Coaching - I think Daboll ends up in Jersey as their HC and the OC job will be an in house hire... Frazier will not get a HC job and I don't think McBeane will kick him to the curb.

Edited by frostbitmic

Me, personally (assuming we keep Beasley & Feliciano):

1) Keep the starting OL together (if Morse is willing to come back).  Aka, re-sign Bates. 

2) Replace Levi with speed/athleticism at CB.  Never thought I’d be wanting, yet another, 1st RD defensive pick, but there will likely be impact starters where we draft. 

3) Do not get into the habit of expecting Allen to elevate mid-round draft picks.  Whoever the best offensive weapon available in the 2nd RD is, go get him. 

4) Replace Frazier.  McDermott is a good leader, but we need someone who isn’t so conservative & reactionary leading this defense.  He’s failed too often against good offenses while stat-building on the dredges of the NFL.   

5)  In the modern day NFL, always focus on your lines.  We’re likely looking at Oliver, Star, Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa before any signings/picks are made (try to bring back Harry).   I don’t see an impact edge rusher available in the 3rd RD (and I don’t know if we have the cap space/assets to address this in FA), but you may be able to find a DT with some pass rush ability here or an EDGE who’s raw but with the necessary skills to develop.  

27 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

1. Offensive line ... Re-sign Bates to play LG or replace Morse at Center if he retires. If Bates moves to Center we need a LG because Feliciano and Boettger should be back ups only.

2. DT ... Horrible Harry needs to be re-signed and Star needs to be gone. Jonathan Davis from Georgia in the first would be the run stuffer we've badly needed. If not Davis we need someone else who's as wide as he is tall.

3. CB ... White likely won't be ready for the start of the season and Wallace is a FA. Could Taron Johnson play outside ? ... Either way we still need help at CB

4. Slot WR ... McKittrick is likely gone and Beasley is getting older and more injury prone so we need some speed at the position

5. QB ... Josh Allen is the only QB on the roster as of now. I'd love to bring back Trubisky and draft a guy on day 3.

Draft rounds 1-3

1. Jonathan Davis - DT - Georgia

Coaching - I think Daboll ends up in Jersey as their HC and the OC job will be an in house hire... Frazier will not get a HC job and I don't think McBeane will kick him to the curb.

Agree with alot of your points, unfortunately I don't think we can rely on Feliciano even as a backup, hes proven to be so unreliable with health.

I would be very surprised if we were able to keep trubisky, especially how cheap we got him. I would imagine trubisky probably isn't happy with the amount of playing time he got, I'd bet he was planning on a few more blowout games to go out and show his skill with an elite offense in some garbage time but it didn't happen this year. I'd bet he's ready to be a starter somewhere and he would quickly follow daboll.

And I think it's imperative that we get josh some speed weapons, at rb or wr, preferably both.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Replace OC, Fire Fraizer, trade Edmunds, find a real LBer, CB... and OL.

Has a DC with a #1 defense ever been fired? I'm sure that would go over well in the media lol. I don't know about firing the guy but I'm not sad at all if he gets a head coach job. I'm right there with you on trade edmunds, won't happen but I'm all for it. I really hope we draft his replacement this year.

28 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

2. DT ... Horrible Harry needs to be re-signed and Star needs to be gone. Jonathan Davis from Georgia in the first would be the run stuffer we've badly needed. If not Davis we need someone else who's as wide as he is tall.

Draft rounds 1-3

1. Jonathan Davis - DT - Georgia

Jordan Davis. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know we have a coordinator plan, so I'm skipping over that. Beane and McD have had a plan for a year now so I'm not focusing on that as a priority. 

How do we getbthe 1 seed and win the whole thing is my focus, so on to the team:

1.) OL - we have to keep Allen upright and protected. While the starters at the end of the season were good, we can be better. Building a wall in front of Josh needs to be a main focus. I would keep Bates and have him compete for a starting job. But I would look at bringing in Norwell. I would let Feliciano go, resource Williams from an RT salary to a RG salary close to what his market level would be.

2.) CB2 - DL should be here but, Tre will be 9 months from surgery in August and it is a big concern. I like Levi, but I don't think we will break the bank for him and Dane is good, but it's not enough. I think we spend a but more on CB2 and make a run in FA, Donte Jackson (White's old partner at LSU) from Carolina is a perfect fit.

3.) DL  - would be second if not for Tre. We have like 5 guys under contract, you can't rely on the young guys taking another step yet alone and while Hughes and Mario played well and got pressure, they were a step to slow, due to age, to get the sack. We will have to bring a couple vets in here and resign Harry. I know this won't happen, but I'm not a fan of the DL rotation. I understand the theory behind it, but the results are meh...

4.) WR - Need to get the slot replacement on the team and we need speed and ability. This will be a draft pick and then has a year or 2 to learn, so expect a decent FA to come in to keep us loaded up at 4 wide. Davis will be WR2 slot guy and wr 4 are large holes and we need to spread the ball around...no scrubs please

5.) Punter - I don't need to explain this. Could make an argument for TE2 here as well, but our punter is even worse than our TE backups...

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

2. DT ... Horrible Harry needs to be re-signed and Star needs to be gone. Jordan Davis from Georgia in the first would be the run stuffer we've badly needed. If not Davis we need someone else who's as wide as he is tall.

Draft rounds 1-3

1. Jordan Davis - DT - Georgia

I scream FOWL on rd 3 pick😎

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Has a DC with a #1 defense ever been fired? I'm sure that would go over well in the media lol. I don't know about firing the guy but I'm not sad at all if he gets a head coach job. I'm right there with you on trade edmunds, won't happen but I'm all for it. I really hope we draft his replacement this year.

Who gives a ***** about the media...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.