The Buffalo Bills 2022 off-season priorities - what are your top 5?

BuffaloBill

If both D and O coordinators leave, promote 'what's his name' as OC and hire a DC. With all the coaches getting fired, should be one or two available.

Draft speed at CB position with #1 pick.  Retain Wallace. He may not be an All Pro, but he has fought off all competition brought in to replace him, he has over 50 starts, so where are you going to find a FA CB with that experience?

Draft speed at WR position with #2 pick.

Resign Phillips, Hughes. 

Draft BPA for Center/Guard with at least 2 picks in rounds 3 - 7.   Fill in with LB, DE/DT, RB.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

First priority is to really think about how you want the defense to play.  The passive bend but don’t break doesn’t hold up in big games.  Doing that may help our LBs be more effective.

Personnel wise:

1.  CB

2. Power RB

3. Big tub of goo DT

4.  Another big WR

5.  Punter

I’d like to re-sign McKenzie or sign a weapon like him(Jakeem Grant). My CB needs to be fast and physical. One that can jam receivers at line, but keep up speed wise (Marlon Humphrey).A dynamic RB like Kamara. 3-5 are perfect choices

Edited by Solomon Grundy

I will wait to see if Daboll and Frazier are here before assessing what we need. Different coordinators will require different styles of players. As an example, someone other the Leslie might use Edmunds outside in a 4-3 where we will need a more powerful MLB.

Yeah I think try to keep Levi and McKitrick.  If you don't, you're just creating 2 holes to fill in the draft, with players who won't contribute right away.  We know what we have in those guys.  Id think we can carve enough dead weight off the DL to fund at least a solid CB2, then maybe draft BPA.  I think every time we draft for position we end up with...well, what we have today on the DL

oh and a punter at some point

1) Add a quality CB prospect.  Probably a 1st or 2nd round pick here.  Also, re-sign Wallace if possible.   It's not a priority, but if they can find a good safety prospect in the mid to late rounds, it might be worth taking a look.

2) Find quality replacements for Sanders, McKenzie and/or Beasley,  depending on which ones leave. Overall speed at WR needs to improve significantly and they need at least one that can make plays after the catch. 1st or 2nd round pick here, plus maybe a bargain FA and a mid/late pick if all three of the mentioned group leave.  I'd also like to see them add a quality third down RB,  and right now, Cordarelle Patterson would be my #1 FA target and will likely be a relative bargain due to his age. 

3) Improve the depth on the interior of the OL. I think I'd sign Bates to the 2nd round RFA tender (~3.5m) and cut Feliciano for cap space (also Klein and Beasley).  Add a couple of 3rd-5th round guys here,  unless a really good prospect drops to R2.  

4) Backup Qb needs to be addressed.  If Trubisky can be re-signed for roughly the same money as this year,  do it. 

5) Try to find a veteran rush end that doesn't break the bank. Otherwise,  trust your draft evaluations and go with what you have at DE.  An elite rush end would be nice, but I don't see it happening without some major cap maneuvering. I wouldn't draft another except perhaps a developmental guy late.  Re-sign Phillips at DT if possible. 

6) Depth is a need everywhere else.

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ProcessYaDigg said:

I'm still up in the air about Edmonds.  If the FO doesn't believe he's the guy, then we need to assess and bring in a potential replacement.  Not sure how this draft class looks.

early word on this year draft is deeper than usual corners...per Joe B the Athletic...so I personally would move up to get space-eater Jordan Davis from UGA to replace Star, he is the Chuck Bednarik Award, and the Outland Trophy winner in his senior season 6-6 - 340.   

and then move up again with more middle round picks to get a corner, esp if Wallace bolts, then we still have 4 picks in 6th-7th round to get a guard, center a la Wyatt Teller....harder for picks to make our roster and we have 9 this year, plus we cut 2 this past season and they were poached from PS - Anderson, Wildgoose

the future is NOW !!!  need to fill holes faster

Edited by First Round Bust

1. CB - Levi is a FA, and Tre coming off big injury.  I have a feeling they will try and bring Levi back.  But if he goes elsewhere, suddenly CB goes from needing some depth to a major hole.
  2. OL - Need to shore up the IL more than anything
  3. DT - Phillips is a free agent, and after this year, I think he will be a priority to resign.  Star replacement is also someone I think we need to find this year.
  4. WR - Cole is in his last year of his deal and Sanders I am not sure they bring back unless he is willing to come back to back up Davis who should start.  Cole could be a trade chip too, so not guarantee they keep him this year.  
  5. RB - I think they feel good about Devin and how he responded in a lead role down the stretch.  But I also think if they could go after Barkley or draft a guy with more speed to bolster the RB room.  
  • Like (+1) 1

1. Give McDermott an ultimatum.  SB appearance or bust in 2022. Won't happen but I dare to dream.

2. See above. If that means moving on from Frazier, getting someone new, or calling his own defense the defense has to get better.  And don't post how can they get better than #1.  Everyone is now aware that ranking was a total fraud.

3. Edge rusher - they need a fast twitch guy that is more hybrid DE/OLB to go along with the group they have. Favor a veteran. Von Miller is top of my list. 

4. CB#2 - I'd be fine with Wallace on a reasonable deal. If not then I prefer a young guy in the first two rounds. And maybe one reasonably priced veteran for insurance. Jackson should be CB#5

5. TE#2 - my disdain for Gilliam and the lack of progress of Sweeney makes this a priority. They can't go into next season with either of those guys on the roster.  

6. OL - depends on where Beane spends his FA dollars. I would be happy with an expensive high end guard, or addressing interior OL in first three rounds.

7. Get younger at backup LB and Safety. Get rid of Mantekavich and Jones and get some young linebackers and safeties to develop.

8. WR - I'm torn here. Davis looks so good but is he a true #2. If Daboll leaves how many 4 and 5 WR sets will they use. Will McKenzie or Beasley be back.  If both are gone, then a WR in first three rounds makes sense

So in total I'm looking at draft needs of CB, C/G, and probably WR in early rounds.  I favor drafting for need and despite what Beane says so does he. 

Edited by Ethan in Portland

An elite modern offense can never stop reloading offensive skill players.  What they have now is good, but has to be upgraded to keep up with KC and others.  I'd hope they're looking at a speed threat to be their #2 and Davis can play #3.  Have to reduce the hits Diggs takes and let him work more of the field.

Second, interior OL needs immediate help and third, at least 1 OT.  

Fourth, I'd like to see a reliable pass catcher.  Knox has too many concentration drops in key moments.

Fifth, a proven pass rusher.

The majority of this off-season is about giving their franchise QB the tools to win.  And not having to run him multiple times a game to keep drives going.  The defense is not the priority anymore...nor should premium resources be spent anywhere aside from DE. 

1. Trade for Lattimore (or anyone close to that level).  If it costs a first this year AND next year I'm all in.  I want my secondary to be the best in the NFL next year.  You can't go in to next season with your #1 CB 10 months removed from an ACL tear.  This was the mistake made this year that cost us - not upgrading CBs to be ready in the event White gets hurt.  I don't want to hear "yea but the system doesn't necessitate elite CB play."  My **s.  The Bengals and Chiefs and the game of football in 2022 says you do.  You find a player like that it also means you don't have to overpay Wallace.  You could replace him cheap. 

White 

Lattimore (or equivalent)

Taron

Hyde

Poyer 

Jackson

Championship.   

2. Draft Interior Oline (2nd round should be there)

3. Find a legit compliment for Singletary (RBs in round 3 will be there) but I'd look to sign a guy to.  

4. Get faster on O - our YAC was horrific

5. I've been reading about OCs today.  Really like the idea of Pep Hamilton

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’d like to re-sign McKenzie or sign a weapon like him(Jakeem Grant). My CB needs to be fast and physical. One that can jam receivers at line, but keep up speed wise (Marlon Humphrey).A dynamic RB like Kamara. 3-5 are perfect choices

Looking back I’d take out punter and put in a G/C.  Agree on McKenzie but I’m betting he wants to go elsewhere.  

43 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

early word on this year draft is deeper than usual corners...per Joe B the Athletic...so I personally would move up to get space-eater Jordan Davis from UGA to replace Star, he is the Chuck Bednarik Award, and the Outland Trophy winner in his senior season 6-6 - 340.   

and then move up again with more middle round picks to get a corner, esp if Wallace bolts, then we still have 4 picks in 6th-7th round to get a guard, center a la Wyatt Teller....harder for picks to make our roster and we have 9 this year, plus we cut 2 this past season and they were poached from PS - Anderson, Wildgoose

the future is NOW !!!  need to fill holes faster

They should fix this!! Teams shouldn’t be able to poach drafted PS players 

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Beane hinted a little bit at priorities for the offseason. The following might be his list:

1) Replace Dabol or Frazier if they are hired away into a HC’ing position

I think you have a pretty good list.  Worth noting that until the coordinator situation is settled, Beane is going to be in a bit of a holding pattern as different coordinators may have input on their needs/wants that Beane will try to accomodate.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

2) CB position including #2 and depth - especially since there is still no clarity as to when Tre will be back to form

This is a high priority.  Bangedupbills pointed out that Tre's minimum timeline is 9 months from his surgery on Dec 15, but 10-12 months is more common.

Less is not prudent, as the risk of re-injury rises sharply with a return after <9months.

He did say that he'd like Wallace back "if he wants to return", but Wallace has made it clear he thinks he's one of the best off-ball corners in the league and may want more $$ than we wish to allocate to him.  Even if he does get Wallace back, he's gonna need a starting-quality guy in case Tre can't go or needs time to return to form

I think the priority he expressed in his comments (after CB)

2) to add to/continue to improve the DL (might be because of the order in which questions were asked

He didn't specify the interior.  He needs to re-sign or draft/sign at least 2 interior DLmen, possibly 3 - Harrison Phililps, Justin Zimmer, plus a "plan B" in case Zimmer is not full-go at the start of the year), or equivalent replacements.

Depending upon how they see Epenesa and Basham, he needs 1 or 2 DE to add to Rousseau

Notable that he didn't mention Addison, even though Addison led the Bills in sacks with 7 (next was 4) and was 3rd in TFL and 5th in QB hits.

I would love to see him going after a sack-meister but I don't see it happening.

3) OL - he referred to the current OL as "something to build on" and "starts with protecting Josh" "part of that is run game".  What he does will, I imagine, depend upon whether he can re-sign Bates and/or Boettger and whether it's true that Morse plans to retire

4) He didn't just mention "depth at TE" he mentioned "a TE to compete with Dawson".  Dawson improved a lot this off-season, but I'm not sure we ever did get to the point where teams said "we got to stop their TE from going off", especially against more physical teams like the Chiefs.

It's said to be a pretty deep draft for TE, so perhaps there's a clue there

Wouldn't bother me to have us draft a good TE prospect AND sign a FA!

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I assume Geary's tongue is planted firmly in his cheek there, but....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.