Thoughts on decision to punt on 4th and 1?

ScottLaw

The Bills were down 3 points as KC just drove down the field for a FG on their opening drive to start the half.  The Bills start their opening 2nd half drive with a pass in the flat to Gilliam for 7 yards, and two straight runs for one yard gains, bringing up 4th and 1 on their own 34 yard line…. After being aggressive the first drive, McD promptly goes back to his conservative ways and punts. Understand it’s a bit of a risky move, but when you have Josh ***** Allen, and the other team has Patrick Mahomes, I thought it was a no brained to keep the offense in the field for one ***** yard and just another example of McD cowering in a big moment.

Thoughts? 

Edited by ScottLaw
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills were down 3 points as KC just drove down the field for a FG on their opening drive to start the half.  The Bills start their opening 2nd half drive with a pass in the flat to Gilliam for 7 yards, and two straight runs for one yard gains, bringing up 4th and 1 on their own 34 yard line…. After being aggressive the first drive, McD promptly goes back to his conservative ways and punts. Understand it’s a bit of a risky move, but when you have Josh ***** Allen, and the other team has Patrick Mahomes, I thought it was a no brained to keep the offense in the field for one ***** yard and just another example of McD cowering in a big moment.

Thoughts? 

dog park hindsight GIF by Cartuna

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Worst call of the game prior to 13 seconds.  I yelled at the TV when it happened and said “we’ll be down 10 soon.”  It was 9, because KC missed the PAT.

No reason in the world not to count on Josh to get that yard on 4th down.

I posted in another thread that the next progression of McD as a HC is to start coaching with the realization he has the most dynamic QB on the planet playing for him.

• Like (+1) 3

I think it was sort of a 50/50 call there.  Your own 34 yard line is essentially guaranteeing them 3 points assuming you don't get it.  And Andy Reid made similar decisions to punt and he ended up winning the game.  I probably would have gone for it there, but I don't think it was a terrible decision at the time, since the defense had made a couple of stops during the game at that point. 

My biggest complaint (besides the D with 13 secs left) is Daboll's playcalling on that series and a couple of others in the first half where he took the ball out of Josh's hands.  I think we could have gone into halftime with a lead if he had let Josh be Josh for 60 minutes.

• Like (+1) 2

I also wanted to stay aggressive in that moment, would’ve gone for it; but I also realize you have to be able to count on your D to make at least another stop or 2 in that half, and how many other coaches would’ve done the same thing in that spot on the field? I can’t fault him for not going for it on every single 4th down ala the Chargers…if he went for it and we didn’t get it, of course we’d be discussing it as a boneheaded decision, why give Mahomes such a short field, etc.

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I also wanted to stay aggressive in that moment, would’ve gone for it; but I also realize you have to be able to count on your D to make at least another stop or 2 in that half, and how many other coaches would’ve done the same thing in that spot on the field? I can’t fault him for not going for it on every single 4th down ala the Chargers…if he went for it and we didn’t get it, of course we’d be discussing it as a boneheaded decision, why give Mahomes such a short field, etc.

Not gonna lie, I didn’t like them at the moment going for it on 4th and 13 own 24-19.  But Josh pulled it out.  I figure make it 24-22 then go all out for a defensive stop with the 3 timeouts.  

I guess 13 seconds wouldn’t have happened with that but umm I guess that’s why I’m not a coach. Lol 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

No issues with the runs or the punts. All year people screamed to run the ball more. Well every run doesn't work just like every pass play doesn't work. 

Punting from your own 34 is a reasonable call. I had no issues with McDermott on this call. 

If it were not for the final 13 seconds I would have had no issues with coaching in that game. I would have liked to see less man to man coverage by our linebackers.  Not sure why that was used so much. McDermott failed us in the final 13 seconds. He was fine before that.

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Thoughts? 

We netted 25 yards on the punt.  As I recall, it took Mahomes 2 plays to get all those yards back and more…

I was more angry that we don't play action pass on 3rd down. It was the perfect time to roll Josh out and try to catch Gabe deep after blocking down on a LB and drawing the Safety up with the threat of Josh running. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Thoughts? 

I said it at the time, you have to go for it there to my father in law (pats fan) nods with rye smile. 

I would have gone for it and McDermott should have too.

He is SO CONSERVATIVE BY NATURE---it's always going to hold us back.

I was shocked and delighted when he went for it earlier.

• Disagree 4

53 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Thoughts? 

I agree 100% For some reason he doesn't understand that those 8 minute drives kill our defense late in the game. Keep our offense on the field and let them rest McD!!!! That bone headed desision ultimately cost us this game and others this season. I told my wife here we go again watch and see what happens in the 4th quarter. He just doesn't get it!

Edited by ALLEN1QB

40 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

I’d have to be close to the 50

the kc fg if you stop them 3 and out is that big of a consideration?

28 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No issues with the runs or the punts. All year people screamed to run the ball more. Well every run doesn't work just like every pass play doesn't work. 

Punting from your own 34 is a reasonable call. I had no issues with McDermott on this call. 

If it were not for the final 13 seconds I would have had no issues with coaching in that game. I would have liked to see less man to man coverage by our linebackers.  Not sure why that was used so much. McDermott failed us in the final 13 seconds. He was fine before that.

I will agree this one is not a catastrophic situation but do think we left something on the field with the call 

54 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Thoughts? 

In hindsight I agree with this but at the same time you miss the conversion and KC likely scores a TD on a short field and the entire trajectory of the game changes.

Either way McDermott is going to be under the microscope in what promises to be the longest offseason in recent memory. Just simply no excuse to lose this game and the stench is going to be hard to get off.

These were what I expected would be talking points Monday if the Bills lost.....  Not f'ing up the last 13 seconds!!!!!!

Happened twice during the game, both times after 6-7 yard first down plays.  Bills went conservative and blew it.  I was screaming at the TV and telling friends at my place top watch, that these are just stupid calls by Dabol.  

Romo brought this up in the second half (Buffalo going conservative).

This was the other at mid-field at 7-7

1st & 10 at BUF 43

(10:31 - 2nd) D.Singletary up the middle to 50 for 7 yards (A.Hitchens; N.Bolton).

2nd & 3 at 50

(9:57 - 2nd) D.Singletary right end to KC 49 for 1 yard (W.Gay; J.Reed). KC-J.Reed was injured during the play. His return is Questionable.

3rd & 2 at KC 49

(9:32 - 2nd) T.Doyle reported in as eligible. D.Singletary left end to BUF 49 for -2 yards (N.Bolton, L.Sneed).

4th & 4 at BUF 49

(8:50 - 2nd) M.Haack punts 37 yards to KC 14, Center-R.Ferguson, fair catch by M.Hardman.

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

I think it was sort of a 50/50 call there.  Your own 34 yard line is essentially guaranteeing them 3 points assuming you don't get it.  And Andy Reid made similar decisions to punt and he ended up winning the game.  I probably would have gone for it there, but I don't think it was a terrible decision at the time, since the defense had made a couple of stops during the game at that point. 

My biggest complaint (besides the D with 13 secs left) is Daboll's playcalling on that series and a couple of others in the first half where he took the ball out of Josh's hands.  I think we could have gone into halftime with a lead if he had let Josh be Josh for 60 minutes.

Exactly,  it seemed like all of a sudden out of nowhere we're calling plays for Gilliam? Made no sense. Inside the 40 is pretty risky so I didn't have near as much a problem with that play as not burning 5 seconds on the kickoff.