What's the best advice anyone ever gave you?

WhoTom

I have two.

1) When I went away to college, the last thing my Dad said before I drove off was, "Remember where you came from." I gave my son that same advice when he went away to college.

2) When my son (who's named after my Dad) was about 4 years old, I was leaving for work one day and I said, "Bye Joe - be a good boy today." He replied, "Bye Dad - be a good man today."

In my 50+ years on this planet, nobody has ever given me better advice than those two nuggets of wisdom.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1) Life comes one moment at a time so live it accordingly … you can only learn from the past and have no control over the future.

2) Always have a forgiving, grateful and humble heart 

3) Everyone will deal with adversity 

With my personality type these notions are easily said and hard at times  to accept. I’ve had to center my life with faith to overcome my incorrect sense that somehow life is controllable. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I have two.

1) When I went away to college, the last thing my Dad said before I drove off was, "Remember where you came from." I gave my son that same advice when he went away to college.

2) When my son (who's named after my Dad) was about 4 years old, I was leaving for work one day and I said, "Bye Joe - be a good boy today." He replied, "Bye Dad - be a good man today."

In my 50+ years on this planet, nobody has ever given me better advice than those two nuggets of wisdom.

I'm curious what you think #1 means, and why it has proven to be the best advice you ever got.

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. C.S. Lewis

'If you're depressed, you're living in the past. If you're anxious, you're living in the future. If you're content, you're accepting the present.'

"Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will"

and my favorite as a parent.................... "Choose your battles"

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm curious what you think #1 means, and why it has proven to be the best advice you ever got.

"Remember where you came from."

I come from a blue-collar family. My parents didn't go to college, but they made sure that my siblings and I did. My interpretation of that advice is to stay humble, regardless of my education level or career success, and to remember the example that my parents set.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It'll hurt like hell and you'll always miss him but you'll be tougher for it.  Words given to me when my older brother died.  Another one was how someone wished they could give me more time with my older brother after there's died of cancer.  Widow maker and cancers make the strongest bond for everybody in mourning.  

Edited by Thriftygamer83
  • Like (+1) 2

From my Dad, ahead of my first year of college

1. Don't have too much sex, which is interesting because I had a great senior year of high school, or at least the later part, where I had sex, multiply, with this woman named <redacted>, with the door open, in my bedroom upstairs.  I liked her.  She was pretty, and she was *stacked*.  And I would mention that perhaps that she should remove her clothing, you know like rhetorically, and there we landed.  I am curious about why he offered this advice, but perhaps I will ask when he's on his death bed or something
  2. Don't have sex with men.  Not my thing.  And not that there's anything wrong with it.  But, WTF DAD?!
  3. Always wear pants of some sort
  4. Stop watching the Buffalo Sabres (the man knew this... in 1989!)

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you return, you get to tap it more.

Too many variables... it was boring, she was needy, the kids are monsters that I'd like to punt to the next neighborhood, ... actually had one who couldn't even fry bacon. The single moms are love'm and leav'um. Get in and get out.

17 minutes ago, T&amp;C said:

Too many variables... it was boring, she was needy, the kids are monsters that I'd like to punt to the next neighborhood, ... actually had one who couldn't even fry bacon. The single moms are love'm and leav'um. Get in and get out.

You must not date the single moms I have.  They’re not boring at all.

• Like (+1) 1

A college professor gave me advice when I asked him about which career path, of two available,  to choose after graduation, knowing one would be more difficult than the other, but perhaps more rewarding.

He advised to choose the more difficult one, which I did.

It worked, and provided the greatest professional enjoyment of my life.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.