Bears hiring Matt Eberflus as HC

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I simply would NOT hire a defensive guy as my head coach in the modern NFL, period.

He's still a quality guy though.

Why would you limit half of your potential hires? That seems very short sighted 

HC is such a different position than just offense or defense. Its about building a brand, a culture and a work environment for people to thrive. Top to bottom in the entire organization. It requires such a holistic thinking that IMO its more about the person than anything. Is this a guy who commands the room? Can he get people to buy in? Does he have a plan for this situation or that situation. Can he bring in good coaches? What are his connections in the league? Is he well respected?

Thats why I don't get hung up on offense or defense. Get me a good coach that has a good plan of how to run an organization and the rest works itself out

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

when is someone taking Frazier from us.  Please, anyone.  Will Arians please retire>?  New Orleans?  

If he stays, it'll be a good thing for us. Frazier is a terrific coach.

13 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Why would you limit half of your potential hires? That seems very short sighted 

HC is such a different position than just offense or defense. Its about building a brand, a culture and a work environment for people to thrive. Top to bottom in the entire organization. It requires such a holistic thinking that IMO its more about the person than anything. Is this a guy who commands the room? Can he get people to buy in? Does he have a plan for this situation or that situation. Can he bring in good coaches? What are his connections in the league? Is he well respected?

Thats why I don't get hung up on offense or defense. Get me a good coach that has a good plan of how to run an organization and the rest works itself out

Exactly.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

if Frazier is not hired, and we don't fire him, I have to seriously question whether I will spend any money on this team next year.  This is beginning to remind me of the Pirates, who I quit on, with owners who are not committed to winning, but only to $$$$.  You don't end a season like that, with a paper #1 D, and bring back Frazier.  He needs to be gone one way or another.  And if no one wants him as HC, there is a reason, and that reason is because he sucks as DC, so someone needs to ask McD and Pegs why we kept him then.  

Fellow Pirates fans here. Someday we need to see the 30 for 30 on the ineptitude of that franchise in an otherwise championship committed city…with a drought pre-McCutchen years that beats the Bills, which is saying something. 

Just wanted to say "Eberflus" is a great German name.  It doesn't really mean anything, but literally broken down would be "boar river" or maybe "boar flow". 

Add it to Pat Freirmuth in Pittsburgh (pronounced Fry-ur-moot), and Ben Röthlisberger as maybe the 3 best German names in the NFL.

Well, until Big Ben retired at least.

🇩🇪

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Just wanted to say "Eberflus" is a great German name.  It doesn't really mean anything, but literally broken down would be "boar river".

Add it to Pat Freirmuth in Pittsburgh (pronounced Fry-ur-moot), and Ben Röthlisberger as maybe the 3 best German names in the NFL.

Isn't the o with the umlaut written "oe" in English and supposed to be prounounced with an "a" sound like Joe Schoen and Jim Boeheim?

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Eh, I just don't understand why the Bears wouldn't go with an experienced HC. But this hire is going to come down to who he gets as his OC to work with Fields. 

And that is no knock to Eberflus. I just think it is a weird process. 

Same.  I don’t like a rookie GM hiring a rookie head coach.  Too many first time coaches and GMs fail because off all the one-off stuff they’ve never dealt with before.  All these guys know how to coach and evaluate talent.  Not all of them understand how to prioritize and delegate.  Flores would have been perfect.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Just wanted to say "Eberflus" is a great German name.  It doesn't really mean anything, but literally broken down would be "boar river" or maybe "boar flow". 

🇩🇪

I’m convinced they’re drafting Linderbaum.  Between the name, the college color scheme, the Steelers history of great Centers, and the fact that it’s a huge position of need for them he’s just too perfect of a fit not to go there.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I felt like this was the only real threat for losing Frazier, and now he's survived that.

It's now sounding like Daboll goes to Miami.  If he clears THAT, we may end up retaining both of these guys--which is OK.

Keeping everyone for another run is a solid path.

I wouldn't complain too much if they stayed. The only coach I think should really be gone is Johnson. I just get bored watching Frazier on the sidelines.  I just want to see some fiery jack up guy when a good play happens. Like Saleh was on the 49ers. Just some sort of emotion would be nice.

13 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I wouldn't complain too much if they stayed. The only coach I think should really be gone is Johnson. I just get bored watching Frazier on the sidelines.  I just want to see some fiery jack up guy when a good play happens. Like Saleh was on the 49ers. Just some sort of emotion would be nice.

The O Line was a strength down the stretch run. Not so sure Johnson is going anywhere.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

🇩🇪

Nothing beats Testaverde😎

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

The O Line was a strength down the stretch run. Not so sure Johnson is going anywhere.

It was better, but, Dawkins got healthy, Bates stepped up, Morse was steady and good all season, Brown learned on the job and Williams ehh, he was ok. The blocking scheme changed a bit. But I don't see Johnson as the one that improved it. Ford, Feliciano and even Williams haven't improved much if any at all. You would think with good coaching at least Ford would have improved somewhat over a couple of seasons. It's not like he was some late round pick. I think the players got better,  not the coaching. But, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.