Bears hiring Matt Eberflus as HC

YoloinOhio

Eh, I just don't understand why the Bears wouldn't go with an experienced HC. But this hire is going to come down to who he gets as his OC to work with Fields. 

And that is no knock to Eberflus. I just think it is a weird process. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, RyanC883 said:

odd hire, you'd think they go offense.  

Bad. If they went D, was hoping they would take Frazier.  

Perhaps Frazier letting up 45 running points to the Colts while Eberflus held Allen to 15 helped.  

Maybe Ms. McCaskey had her television on Sunday night.....

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They will probably hire Jim Caldwell as OC

I have a lot of friends who are Bears fans, they were pretty split between wanting Daboll and Flores. The ones who wanted Flores wanted a defensive HC who would hire an OC who's primary job was to develop Fields. 

This hire makes sense, as would brining in Caldwell to develop Fields. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

2 down 7 to go

So they go from one Ryan and Matt to another Ryan and Matt. McCaskey is cheap! Just trying to save on name plates 

Considering that Eberflus held us to 15 points this season and pretty well stifled our offense in the playoffs last year, I can't say I'm sorry to see him go.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Good hire for the Bears

Based on what? Being a good coordinator doesn't make you a good head coach. Totally different skill sets. He will have to prove it was a good hire based on how he does.

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

odd hire, you'd think they go offense.  

Bad. If they went D, was hoping they would take Frazier.  

Perhaps Frazier letting up 45 running points to the Colts while Eberflus held Allen to 15 helped. 

Heh.  Yeah, plus the last 2 minutes of the KC game plus overtime are not exactly a good "resume builder" for Frazier.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Based on what? Being a good coordinator doesn't make you a good head coach. Totally different skill sets. He will have to prove it was a good hire based on how he does.

That's true for every HC hire. 

What are the choices when hiring a HC?  You either hire a guy who did it before and failed (or he wouldn't be on the market), or you hire an OC who's never done it.

In both cases, they need to prove they can get it done.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think it matters as long as the OC has a plan for him. 

In fact, one way to look at it would be if the HC is doing HC things and responsible for the whole organization, he has less time and effort to give the QB than a guy who is just running the offense and has more time to focus on QB development.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.