Ben Roethlisberger officially retires

Greg S

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Honestly, the longer he lingered in the NFL as their starting QB, the better it was for the Bills and anyone else vying for power in the AFC.

The Steelers have been in need for a re-boot for several years now.

I wish he had dragged his career out another year or 2.

I suspect the team told him he was finished so that was not an option--hence the retirement announcement a few games ago.

The steelers would have put the corpse of Big Ben on the field for as long as he wanted to play......and the QBs currently behind him on the team suck....so

19 minutes ago, RevWarRifleman said:

He stayed at the party too long. Should have retired a couple of years ago, but that's just my opinion.

You're objectively right, but what interests me is that a guy who has that level of game smarts is able to somehow carry on at a reasonably effective level with such obviously diminished skills. I mean, he went 21-10 the last two post-injury years (yeah, that defense) and even had sort of decent QB rating numbers even though everyone knew his arm was basically shot. He was clearly in the bottom half (maybe even bottom third?) of starting QBs, but I'm surprised he even performed at that level.

32 minutes ago, RevWarRifleman said:

He stayed at the party too long. Should have retired a couple of years ago, but that's just my opinion.

Only because there was a long line to get into the ladies room. 

Regarding the retirement, you have to wonder if his arm is looking forward to the reunion. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You're objectively right, but what interests me is that a guy who has that level of game smarts is able to somehow carry on at a reasonably effective level with such obviously diminished skills. I mean, he went 21-10 the last two post-injury years (yeah, that defense) and even had sort of decent QB rating numbers even though everyone knew his arm was basically shot. He was clearly in the bottom half (maybe even bottom third?) of starting QBs, but I'm surprised he even performed at that level.

I wish him well from here on out. In the meantime, I look forward to the new Bills season next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.