Denver hiring Nathaniel Hackett as HC

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Don’t you have to be a FA to get tagged?

Yes, meant to say he will likely get tagged.   Larger point is Packers have leverage over both Rodgers and Adams.  For them to get out, and get out together would take a lot of malcontent behavior, luck, or Packers just wanting to start over.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Congrats to Nate.  I know we loved to sh*t on him here when he was our OC, but we didn't really have a great amount of talent on those offenses, he was really green, and we were in QB hell.  I'm sure he's grown as a coach over the years, and by all accounts, he's a really likeable guy.  Good luck to him.

Of course he wasn't great with EJ Manuel playing quarterback, but when Kyle Orton was playing competent ball the offense got some things going. When Orton lost interest and became more concerned with staying healthy than anything else, the offense regressed. 

You need good quarterback play to have success on offense in this league! But then when they do get good quarterback play, we say it's all about the QB and the coach doesn't matter. It's all on the coach...until it actually goes well.

11 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Who would have thought in 201-whatever that our OC, who only had the job because he was buds with Marrone, would someday be a NFL HC. 

Good for him!

A lot of people in football circles  knew Nathaniel Hackett would probably be a head coach one day 

He was the youngest offensive coordinator in the league and considered very innovative and bright.. despite getting EJ manual and not a great cast

he was always considered to have a very good football mind despite his reputation in buffalo 

I don't think he'll be very successful but I'm not super surprised

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Can anyone explain what is impressive about his resume? As far as I know he doesn’t even call plays or design the offense in GB. I just don’t see it

As far as I can tell (and listening to all the Broncos shills here in Colorado), it's:

- reviving Green Bay's offense. But that's not really supported by the record. He got the job in 2019. The Packers were 12th in total yardage in 2018, then 18th in Hackett's first year as coordinator, then 6th (hey a good trend!), but then, oops, 10th. 

- turning Blake Bortles into a statistically good QB for one year (and one year only) in Jacksonville. How much credit Hackett deserves for this is debatable, particularly since it didn't stick

- being an all around younger, upbeat, Ted Lasso guy. When you follow Vic Fangio you're gonna look like a bundle of dynamite even if you're Sean McD. So there is that.

- the biggie: Aaron Rodgers bait.

I don't think it's an awful choice. This is what teams do. Broncos: Josh McDaniels, just about the youngest head coach ever, first timer. Fail. Bring in old experienced retread John Fox. Now it's the opposite: old guy Fangio (although never a head coach) out, young guy Hackett in.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

A lot of people in football circles  knew Nathaniel Hackett would probably be a head coach one day 

He was the youngest offensive coordinator in the league and considered very innovative and bright.. despite getting EJ manual and not a great cast

he was always considered to have a very good football mind despite his reputation in buffalo 

I don't think he'll be very successful but I'm not super surprised

If they don’t AR, he’s one and done unless they are stubborn.  My packer friends are happy he’s gone despite their good record.

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If they don’t AR, he’s one and done unless they are stubborn.  My packer friends are happy he’s gone despite their good record.

They'll be pining for him when they see Jordan Love play...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Rodgers not a free agent, Denver will have to trade for him.  Adams also not a free agent, he is prime candidate for franchise tag.  I just don’t see how Packers won’t try to run it back again for 1 last time.

The Packers would be wise to trade both and re-tool...or they can be stubborn and look like the Falcons in a year or 2.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Anyone who didn't assume the son of a relative NFL offensive coordinating icon and former big time NCAA head coach(USC and Pitt).........with his playing experience and academic background.........would someday become an NFL HC.........probably wasn't paying much attention.

Doesn't mean he will be good............but if anything it's surprising it took that long for him to be handed a job.   

I was fortunate as a long-tenured server at Tempo to watch so many coaches, front office personnel, and players interact with each other...and I'll admit, Hackett was one of the most boisterous and intense football minds even while out to eat. Really got caught up in talking football with his fellow coaches who were less...engaged. Marrone, on the contrary, was boastful and self-satisfied. I came away impressed with Hackett's football righteousness. For whatever it's worth (and it might be worth a little something on strictly relative terms, closely witnessing so many intimate interactions and comparing them to one another). 

The amount of access a few of us had back then was pretty crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.