“We can smile today because we have Josh Allen”

JohnNord

I certainly didn't need Beane to tell me that. We'll be back next year as long as Josh is upright. No jinxes, knock on wood.

However, we have to maintain that offense or even get it better while at the same time improve the D. Luckily we have Tre coming back and nine picks in the upcoming draft. Maybe we'll get what we need at 25 that would have been gone at 32? The same goes for every round, a little bit higher. Beane needs his best draft ever. Even better than 2017.

either that or Groot, Epenesa and Basham and others really take a huge step up.

maybe we surprise and get a name FA?

I can't wait till NFL FA begins! Or better yet news that we've signed Bates, McKenzie, Wallace and Phillips..... Though I do not want to give term to Phillips, I don't think anyone will with that knee....

Before the KC game, I had a decent amount of confidence we could take them down. Yet, I had the distinct thought that regardless of what happened in the game, everything would be okay because:

1- the Bills ARE relevant again! - it has been SOO many years since we could say this. Sustained success is the standard now. Think of how many prime time spots we got this and last year. Probably more than previous 10 years combined. 

2- we have Josh Allen, in my mind (trying not to be biased here) top 5 lock and arguably #1 or 2 overall QB.  THE hardest position to nail down in the NFL and most important player to long-term success

So yes, it was a terrible loss. And no, it shouldn't have happened (coaches). What if and what could have been if they won etc etc 

But when next season rolls around and in the years to come, as long as #17 is healthy and under contract you best believe we will be In a good spot. Ill take sustained success any day over one game freakish blunder. 

Edited by onceagain778
  • Like (+1) 2

Yeah and can rest easily he is signed long term because if they listened to ESPN last year when they said the Bills  should’ve waited another year to see if Josh could mimic his 2000 season because to ESPN is the worst Qb in the league.  They would have a field day now saying can Josh win in Buffalo can they really get talent around him and who would be the best fit for him going into free agency.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Yeah and can rest easily he is signed long term because if they listened to ESPN last year when they said the Bills  should’ve waited another year to see if Josh could mimic his 2000 season because to ESPN is the worst Qb in the league.  They would have a field day now saying can Josh win in Buffalo can they really get talent around him and who would be the best fit for him going into free agency.

Imagine what Allen would have cost if they had waited until the end of the season to do his extension after the playoffs he just had.... $50m/yr??

• Awesome! (+1) 2

14 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’ve been avoiding a lot of Bills coverage because the last thing I want to do is to relive the disappointment from Sunday.  But I came across this quote from Brandon Beane:

We can smile today because we have Josh Allen.

This really connected with me.  As bad as the loss feels in the moment, the larger view is Sunday cemented what many in this forum already believed - Josh Allen is an elite level quarterback.   The sample size is there - he’s not a one-year wonder taking advantage of a weak schedule.  There isn’t going to be a regression like Matthew Fairburn theorized last summer.  He certainly isn’t a product of Brian Daboll.

Buffalo has a legitimate franchise QB who is arguably one of the 2 best in the NFL and could get even better.  What happens when your team has an elite level QB?  Everything falls into place.  You contend every single season.  There is no “window” when you have a top QB.  

It seems like something changed with Josh in the playoffs this season just as it did during the start of the 2020 season.  As the moment and competition got higher so did his level of play.  

I think 2022 will be Josh Allen’s best year yet.  I’ve never been one for overly optimistic takes but I’m pretty sure that this team is set up for success for no other reason than #17.

Go Bills

It's great that we have Allen,  no question about that but it does not guarantee anything moving forward. There are plenty of great young QB'S in the East including Hebert/Mahomes/Burrow. This was a perfect opportunity that was choked away by our coaching staff.  Allen needs supporting players and competent coaching , I think we have some good players pieces and the coaching is huge question mark. I my opinion the Bills need to replace Frazier,  just like they replaced former OC Rick Dennison with a more innovative OC Dabol we need that side of ball to improve to give Allen a chance. I don't care if Frazier is doing what Sean likes,  Sean needs to focus on coaching the team and making key decisions. 

• Eyeroll 1

14 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’ve been avoiding a lot of Bills coverage because the last thing I want to do is to relive the disappointment from Sunday.  But I came across this quote from Brandon Beane:

We can smile today because we have Josh Allen.

This really connected with me.  As bad as the loss feels in the moment, the larger view is Sunday cemented what many in this forum already believed - Josh Allen is an elite level quarterback.   The sample size is there - he’s not a one-year wonder taking advantage of a weak schedule.  There isn’t going to be a regression like Matthew Fairburn theorized last summer.  He certainly isn’t a product of Brian Daboll.

Buffalo has a legitimate franchise QB who is arguably one of the 2 best in the NFL and could get even better.  What happens when your team has an elite level QB?  Everything falls into place.  You contend every single season.  There is no “window” when you have a top QB.  

It seems like something changed with Josh in the playoffs this season just as it did during the start of the 2020 season.  As the moment and competition got higher so did his level of play.  

I think 2022 will be Josh Allen’s best year yet.  I’ve never been one for overly optimistic takes but I’m pretty sure that this team is set up for success for no other reason than #17.

Go Bills

After the game I received several texts from friends around the country talking about what a great game it was and offering condolences for the loss.  My response was "It's ok.  Josh Allen will win a Super Bowl in the near future."  They all agreed. 

Not only can we smile, but we also need "shades," because the future is very bright...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

From NFL.com this AM:

https://www.nfl.com/news/don-t-forget-about-joe-burrow-s-right-there-with-patrick-mahomes-josh-allen-in-a

"It's a shame Allen isn't still alive in the postseason. He reached another level this month, enjoying a two-game playoff stretch that was as dominant as any quarterback run in memory. His developmental story will give raw, struggling signal-callers too much hope for years to come. Because there's only one Josh Allen.

When Allen came into the league, I was so wrong to believe that his upside was as a poor man's Cam Newton. Instead, he's become the improved evolution of Cam, more consistent as a passer and playmaker, with all that power-running ability and the red-zone problems it creates. Still just 25, Allen will get plenty more chances to win the Super Bowl. But even if he never reaches the mountaintop, he's already proven he's a championship-caliber quarterback. He was beyond that level in these playoffs, somewhere between the heavens and the unconscious. His defense, his coaching staff and those 13 seconds of infamy stopped him because no opponent could."

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
link
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

It's great that we have Allen,  no question about that but it does not guarantee anything moving forward. There are plenty of great young QB'S in the East including Hebert/Mahomes/Burrow. This was a perfect opportunity that was choked away by our coaching staff.  Allen needs supporting players and competent coaching , I think we have some good players pieces and the coaching is huge question mark. I my opinion the Bills need to replace Frazier,  just like they replaced former OC Rick Dennison with a more innovative OC Dabol we need that side of ball to improve to give Allen a chance. I don't care if Frazier is doing what Sean likes,  Sean needs to focus on coaching the team and making key decisions. 

They aren’t guaranteed to the win the Super Bowl.  But if Allen is truly at the elite level that he appears to be, there aren’t many QB’s who haven’t found success.  Pretty sure the odds are in our favor that this team is going to successful for a while 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As painful as this loss was, it does remind me of the Ronnie Harmon game in Cleveland, and the 1988 AFC Championship loss to the Bengals, among others.

We were all ready back then for the team to explode up to the next level, but it needed to run its course....and not long after those disappointments, we went to 4 straight Super Bowls.

So this year wasn't our year.  You have to think the next 3 seasons, at a bare minimum, will be filled with opportunity for the Bills to do amazing things. And Josh's window will be open much longer than that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Had to repost this mess, he said to remind him if he was wrong!

There are a lot of people in that thread that must have died...or started a new screen identity. 😆😁

As for Beane's quote, maybe they should have finished off the presser with Mrs. Pegula singing 'Tomorrow', from the musical 'Annie'.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.